Studio Instruments - Chords

Author
tommohawk
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/12/06 16:20:09 (permalink)

Studio Instruments - Chords

Hi all.
I play sax, and am trying to find a software package which provides a backing band. I need to be able to record, but dont need a fancy editing suite. Primarily, I need to be able to select specific chords so I can lay down chord progressions.

I cant work out what Studio instruments will allow - for keyboards it appears possible to select chords which is fine, but I cant tell if tis will just play a single chord, or if that can be applied to a pattern or riff.  It also appears possible to select a 12 bar pattern - but can you select or at least see which chords it progresses through?

Also I cant tell if the Bass guitar can play riffs in specific chords.

I guess the same query also applies to strings. Can you select chords?

Also there doesnt seem to be a rhythm/lead guitar. Is this available in another product/package?

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

post edited by tommohawk - 2010/12/06 16:21:33

6 Replies Related Threads

RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Studio Instruments - Chords 2010/12/06 17:17:00 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.

The Cakewalk Studio Instruments include e-piano, electric bass, strings, and drums. For the piano, bass, and strings, you can select a chord, or a pattern, but it does not provide information about the chord progression used in the pattern.

If you're looking for a backing band, maybe look at Band in a Box.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox.htm

It's specifically designed to provide accompaniment for you.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Studio Instruments - Chords 2010/12/06 17:43:46 (permalink)
    Studio Instruments provides, as Rodger sez, some preset patterns.  Mostly it is just the instruments that you play.  Otherwise, band in a box or maybe just start collecting loop libraries.  Another option is something like Samplebase, which is a sampler or free playback engine.  You can buy instrument collection, but also entire loops that you can plug in.  Check their site.  They have lots of stuff in many styles.  The last time I was there they had broken out "i am a man of constant sorrow" (from "o brother where art tho") into parts.  Pick and choose and make your own arrangement.  You might find something there in the style you are looking for.  Everything is downloadable, from ancient greek chants to electronica.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    tommohawk
    Re:Studio Instruments - Chords 2010/12/07 04:55:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the repsonses.

Yes, I looked at BIAB by PGMusic and it probably is pretty much what I need. What I dont need is the price tag!

To be fair it may be good value - but still lots of $.

I've been playing with the free trial Mixcraft download - its great, but suffers the same problem ie loads of great backing but not chord specific.

I'm really surprised the techy people at Mixcraft and Cakewalk havent developed this. The pattern/riff libraries are great - if only they were chord specific it would be brilliant and would appeal to another sector of the market ie folks like me and other BIAB users.

I guess technically this may be more difficult than it sounds - but even if all they did was label the existing patterns, and maybe duplicate them in other chords it would be excellent. Of course users would have to appreciate that pitch/key shifts would change the chords - but thats no big deal.

Or maybe allow a user group library.

Anyhow, if anyone else has any other ideas I would appreciate it. I'm only intermediate standard musician, and I dont need tons of complex backing - just something where I can control chords.

thanks  
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Studio Instruments - Chords 2010/12/07 15:49:14 (permalink)
    You haven't said, but are you recording in Sonar?
    A big part of the answer to you question involves your host.
    SI won't do what you are asking as a stand-alone, but as a VST in Sonar, I believe you can get what you are wanting to do.
    You can drag the chords or progressions to your MIDI track associated with SI from the drop down menu in SI.
    You can then view and edit the chords/patterns in the Staff View, or PRV if you choose.
    You won't see the chord names, but you can see the notes, as illustrated below.
    Does that help?

post edited by RobertB - 2010/12/07 16:32:53

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    tommohawk
    Re:Studio Instruments - Chords 2010/12/07 17:26:55 (permalink)
    RobertB - thanks for that idea with pic.

Provided all the SI patterns copied over show on the staff or PRV I could identify the chords, and then mark them or change them to suit, as you say.

Trouble is by the time I've done that, I could pretty much have written the thing from scratch.

It is a good idea, and as an exercise for a middling musician like myself it would be good practice - but I think it would be too time consuming. I will give this some more thought though.

It is one step up from Mixcraft, because that product only shows staff or roll view of midi tracks created on the fly, not for library loops.

BTW I just noted PG have reduced their product price by $120 as a special, so TBH is probably the obvious choice.

I still think there must be a techy way of manipulating existing patterns to produce a designated chord. Adding in 7ths etc might be tricky, but doable I'd have thought.

I think there is software which analyses imported tracks (wavs/MP3s) to show chords so it must be doable.
    Even if the patterns were simply renamed to show the chords this would be a huge step IMHO.

Maybe I'm an odd customer. Not for the first time.

thanks

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Studio Instruments - Chords 2010/12/07 17:44:57 (permalink)
    If you are comfortable writing from scratch, you can do that, and sent it to any synth. In that case, TTS-1 would probably be adequate.
    If you know what you are doing, you can write fairly quickly in the staff view. I'm somewhat challenged in that area, but for others it works well.
    I don't have BIAB, but I've seen it in action.
    The interface is a bit complex, but it is a powerful tool, and may be a more direct solution to what you are looking for.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1