UA-1G stuttering

Author
zounder1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/12/09 11:53:14 (permalink)

UA-1G stuttering

Has anyone experienced stuttering while recording with the UA-1G?   Initially, I thought the record I was recording was skipping, but when I switched to my old ArtCessories USB PhonoPLus the record did not exhibit this stuttering on the exact same record.  It is so bad I can record just 1 minute of the record and the UA-1G will always have this stuttering in the sound.  The ArtCessories device never stutters.

It happens regularly enough that I am not recording anything.  Is this a hardware issue?  A software issue?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:UA-1G stuttering 2010/12/09 12:28:33 (permalink)
    I've been using the UA-1G for awhile and have never had any problems with it. What recording software are you using? Is the UA-1G also your default windows sound playback device? In your recording software, what audio playback devices are you using?
    zounder1
    Re:UA-1G stuttering 2010/12/09 12:56:10 (permalink)
    Chappel

I've been using the UA-1G for awhile and have never had any problems with it. What recording software are you using? Is the UA-1G also your default windows sound playback device? In your recording software, what audio playback devices are you using?

Windows 7 64 bit.
    8GB RAM
    Velociraptor 10K drive

I am actually just using the Sound Recording control panel.  I just go to the UA-1G device... then click the listen tab and click on "Listen to this device"  So the device just outputs to my speakers.  No recording is going on.

And I still get the stuttering.  If I switch to the ActCessories device and set it to listen to device I get no stutter.  Very annoying.

Note the stutter is very subtle, but it is there... I actually am having trouble describing the sound.  Maybe a hiccup.  It does not ever cut out with no sound, there is just a skip in the sound, like a buffer is overflowing and just losing some data.

You can find a very short FLAC file exhibiting the skipping noise here: 
    http://awcsupport.com/track.flac

zounder1
    Re:UA-1G stuttering 2010/12/09 13:23:35 (permalink)
    I went through my recording and found a perfect sample clip.

The singer is supposed to be saying "I'm just a symptom of.." 

But you get a wonderful "I'm just a impton of..."

I have to listen carefully but I get this type of skip occurring regularly through an entire recording of one side of a record.  If I record with the ArtCessories device I get no hiccups at all.

Sample FLAC:  http:\\awcsupport.com\track2.flac

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:UA-1G stuttering 2010/12/09 13:29:41 (permalink)
    Hmmmm.... I have no experience with that situation. The first thing I would do is check the little switches on the bottom of the UA-1G to make sure the Sample Rate is set to 44.1 kHz and the rec source set to Analog.

Another thing I would do is to turn the Advanced Mode Off. In Normal Mode the UA-1G will use the default Windows Audio Driver. I would think the advanced more would work fine but I'd try this if the nothing else worked.

There may be some conflict with your other Audio Device. Which one is the default recording/playback device? You might try disabling the other one and rebooting.

If you make any changes to the UA-1G you have to unplug it and then plug it back in for any changes to take effect.

post edited by Chappel - 2010/12/10 11:44:18
    ganglu
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:UA-1G stuttering 2011/02/27 21:23:37 (permalink)
    I was having the same issue. I bought this card because so many great reviews about the low latency, blah, blah, blah. Anyways, the sound quality and latency haven't been issues, but I was practicing a DJ set and I would get frequent audio drops or skips. I turned my internet completely off and it seemed to be better, but not eliminated. Then I turned off the "Advanced Driver" switch right next to the Phones Volume and that seemed to work. I need to now look up if I'm giving up any features having turning that off, but so far, so good.

UPDATE:

Turning off the Advance Driver will not allow 96/24 and ASIO support. If I don't find a solution soon, this thing is going up on Ebay and I'm getting me a NI box.
    post edited by ganglu - 2011/03/09 11:02:53
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1