Recording a banjo

Author
5string
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2010/12/09 17:59:11 (permalink)

Recording a banjo

Well i am new here, I've had some experience working with sound recording when I was younger.
Demo's, Live sound, movies, videos. Now I am a retired truck driver and playing around with recording on my computer.

I am working on recording a banjo track (dry) to send to a friend in England to add to his song for a upcoming CD.
All I have at the moment is a AKG D80 and a ART preamp, Sonar 8 producer. I've sorted out the latency settings on my older computer and it seems to be stable enough and the levels seem good for what I have to work with.

I have the mic set up about 1.5 feet away and pointed at the middle of the neck. Well it sounds like crap. I've heard that means you have the banjo right

Any suggestions on mic placement for a banjo?

Great forum you have here. Looking forward to my new recording venture.

Glenn

11 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Recording a banjo 2010/12/09 18:13:01 (permalink)
    I wouldn't bother pointing at the neck on a banjo.

A banjo's tone will really react with a room and you'll hear lots of room if you mic from mid range.

If you mic up close you'll get less room but lose the sense of air. And you'll probably want a top of the line mic and preamps because a banjo has such and aggressive sound.

With the gear you are using I'd say that you challenge will be to try to work at mid range with the mic more or less pointed near the center of the skin.

The trick is you will need to work hard to find the best place in the room for you to play as well as the best place to put the mic after you've found the best place in the room to play.

If you have a very large room or are out on the porch everything will sound much different.

Just experiment with mic placement... the very best thing would be for you to be able to audition someone else's playing as you move around the room and listen etc.

Good luck,
    mike

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Recording a banjo 2010/12/09 19:09:51 (permalink)
    +1 to what mike said. 

if you have someone else who can play the banjo - even just a little, you can have him/her play while you move your ear around trying to find a sweet spot to place the mic.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    5string
    Re:Recording a banjo 2010/12/09 19:15:13 (permalink)
    Thanks, Good Ideas.

I'll keep plugging away, I need to practice playing for the mic anyway, pick noise and such.
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:Recording a banjo 2010/12/09 19:32:19 (permalink)
    Beagle

if you have someone else who can play the banjo - even just a little, you can have him/her play while you move your ear around trying to find a sweet spot to place the mic.

Big +1
    My preferred method for finding a sweet spot!
    That's one of the things I do when I'm auditioning an acoustic guitar for purchase.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Recording a banjo 2010/12/09 19:36:54 (permalink)
    5string

Well i am new here, I've had some experience working with sound recording when I was younger.
    Demo's, Live sound, movies, videos. Now I am a retired truck driver and playing around with recording on my computer.

I am working on recording a banjo track (dry) to send to a friend in England to add to his song for a upcoming CD.
    All I have at the moment is a AKG D80 and a ART preamp, Sonar 8 producer. I've sorted out the latency settings on my older computer and it seems to be stable enough and the levels seem good for what I have to work with.

I have the mic set up about 1.5 feet away and pointed at the middle of the neck. Well it sounds like crap. I've heard that means you have the banjo right

Any suggestions on mic placement for a banjo?

Great forum you have here. Looking forward to my new recording venture.

Glenn

In front may not be the best place. Try it with the mic behind or up above the player. Above will give you closer to what the player is hearing.
    5string
    Re:Recording a banjo 2010/12/10 18:22:29 (permalink)
    I tried the over the shoulder setup and think that will work for me. Not too much pick noise and a more defined response to my hand position between the bridge and neck positions. Thanks.
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Recording a banjo 2010/12/12 00:22:31 (permalink)
    5string

I tried the over the shoulder setup and think that will work for me. Not too much pick noise and a more defined response to my hand position between the bridge and neck positions. Thanks.

I've done that with guitar also, it's closer to "what-you-hear-is-what-you-get" then other positions.  The sound and dynamics tend to come out closer to what the player intended. Look out for breath and nose noises from the human if it's a good mic...
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Recording a banjo 2010/12/12 04:19:24 (permalink)
    Just a small side thought. The D80 is a 'vocal' mic it may well be a bit scooped in the low end, to make up for the proximity effect it would have when used at 'singing distance'. This may not be an issue as I guess a banjo isn't all that bass heavy!

Cheers,
    Child
    5string
    Re:Recording a banjo 2010/12/12 06:11:59 (permalink)
    True not much bass there, I think, well none. I used the preamp and mic with the PA. They are the only things left of it.
    Checking out ebay for a condenser, maybe I could skip the preamp.
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Recording a banjo 2010/12/12 06:19:17 (permalink)
    5string

True not much bass there, I think, well none. I used the preamp and mic with the PA. They are the only things left of it.
    Checking out ebay for a condenser, maybe I could skip the preamp.

If you pick up a budget LDC you're more likely to get a better tone, you're still going to need the preamp though (and one that can provide phantom power at that).

Like Mike said, getting the room right is probably going to be the biggest battle. If you don't have a good sounding space the next most sensible option is to try and kill the space you have a bit (duvets etc) and try to put some ambience back on it in the mix.

Child
    5string
    Re:Recording a banjo 2010/12/12 06:49:06 (permalink)
    Thanks, for that.

The pre I have will supply the power. The room is not bad, the walls are all covered up with shelves, tall book case, workbench, a long closet with no doors filled with jackets and instrument cases. Carpet on the floor, the ceiling is the only flat space I have to deal with, and it's sort of low. The D80 did sound OK the first time out. I can make it work. I'll still be on the mic hunt.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1