I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin

Author
fractalman93
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
2010/12/09 23:23:16 (permalink)

I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin

Before we get started, I'm not looking for bells and whistles like amp options or effects.  I just want a good acoustic/electric guitar VST plugin that's based on physical modeling and not samples.  I'd prefer an acoustic guitar plugin, but would consider one that can do electric or both.  Ultimately, I am using Guitar Rig to add effects.

I've done some research of my own and tried these:

Pling v4:  Has a fair acoustic sound, but not great.

Revitar:  The absolute BEST of the ones I've tried, but I can't seem to get enough sustain out of it.

DSK Akoustic Guitarz:  Not a bad acoustic sound, but didn't have the sound I wanted when I added effects.

Richman 2:  Decent for clav and electric piano type sounds, but I couldn't get a good acoustic guitar sound out of it.

Solo String:  very limited

String Theory:  cool plugin, but not strictly for guitar.  it would take me hours, if not days, to get a decent guitar sound out of it.

String Thing 2:  Pretty good overall, but I don't like the damping controls.  You cannot make the note end when the key is lifted.

Any suggestions?

----
In a similar way that Phil Collins is a drummer who sings, I am a keyboardist who provides PC tech support.  Please check out my blog:  http://progressivearts.blogspot.com

12 Replies Related Threads

Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/10 01:12:22 (permalink)
    A very good classical guitar VST available  is Yellow Tools Free ( 2.5.4 )  Great classical guitar really interesting dx type rhodes a few good pads and synths, percussion, and also a  great acoustic ( guitar type ) bass. Can't beat it.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/10 08:13:08 (permalink)
    As a guitarist, I have looked around as well, at the various guitar synths. Most of them, including many of the sampled ones really come up short when compared to a live guitar.

The ones that come close are sampled and require a bit of learning to get the nuances correct on a keyboard.

A company called Indiginus makes one called Strummaker that actuality sounds pretty good. It is sampled however, and the full version only works in Kontakt. I think the free version is a stand alone and it loads as a VST IIRC.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    fractalman93
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/10 08:57:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies.  I'll check them out.  More suggestions are welcome.

Edit - My problem with both of these is that they're sample based.  They take up quite a bit of disk space.  Also, don't sample based plugins have higher latency than real-time physical modeling?
    post edited by fractalman93 - 2010/12/10 09:07:44

----
    In a similar way that Phil Collins is a drummer who sings, I am a keyboardist who provides PC tech support.  Please check out my blog:  http://progressivearts.blogspot.com
    Jumbicat
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/10 16:45:34 (permalink)
    GuitarHacker.  I checked out the Strummaker you suggested and had a question.  This looks like a great tool to help musicians who don't play guitar...play a guitar but with a keyboard.  My question, do you know if this program would work well with a Axon or any other brand of mid guitar control?

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
    http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/10 17:29:42 (permalink)
    "physical modeling and not samples"

I'm not exactly sure ... of what physical modeling incurs ... so fwiw:

1) EWQL MOR ($400) uses mega-samples I'm afraid ... but provides instantly gratifying MIDI riffs (bass, acoustic, electric) ... keyswitches allow modeling of sorts.

2) Prominy SC: ($400) Much more "physically modeling" keyswitches.  A bit harsh (non-echoic) but very controllable.  I hated it after discovering #1, #3, and #4, fwiw.

3) BiaB Audiophile: ($700) numerous 'real' takes based on your chord progressions ... a hundred+ guitars ... modeled on your style ... uncontrollable takes that sound lush-but-stereotypical and pro.

4) A Real Guitar + Outboard Ax-Fx Processor (presets): For studio only: This often beats my keyboard with my intermediate guitar skills.

5) DimPro has beautiful MIDI-driven *guitars*, IMHO.  Surely, they are 'as-good' as the freeware.  But, these rely on 'other' instruments and vocs to mix with

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    fractalman93
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/10 18:12:34 (permalink)
    I think you missed the word FREE.

BTW, here's the definition of Real-time Physical Modeling:

Virtual circuitry and/or mathematical algorithms used to generate waveforms (i.e. sawtooth, sine, pulse) or sounds of physical instruments (i.e. piano, guitar, voice) "on-the-fly".

No audio samples of any kind are used.

----
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/10 18:13:23 (permalink)
    fractal... delay depends on the computer, and the interface.  I use mainly sampled instruments and have no problems. real time modeling.... actually sounds like it would not be as accurate as a sample.

jumbi... I have no idea. I use a midi keyboard to trigger my samples.  Theoretically, I guess if the controller is a midi guitar controller.... I don't see why it couldn't.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/10 20:41:16 (permalink)
    Edit - My problem with both of these is that they're sample based.  They take up quite a bit of disk space.  Also, don't sample based plugins have higher latency than real-time physical modeling?

Actually physical modeling usually has higher latency than samples. It's a real time process where as samples can reside in ram making them nearly instantaneous. True - samples take up disk space far and above most modeled instruments...but disk space is relatively cheap. Both have their place for sure

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/10 23:33:46 (permalink)
    Jumbicat

GuitarHacker.  I checked out the Strummaker you suggested and had a question.  This looks like a great tool to help musicians who don't play guitar...play a guitar but with a keyboard.  My question, do you know if this program would work well with a Axon or any other brand of mid guitar control?

The Indiginus product in question is actually called "Acoustic Guitar Collection" - Strummaker is part of it , but only part. The guitars can either be played using the various strum maker options,  or the sounds can also be played using midi in finger pick mode. I know nothing about guitar controllers but you should be aware that velocity key switching is used to control articulations. lower velocities = mutes, medium velocities = Sustains and high velocities = slides.

I prefer the strummaker live option over the inbuilt strummaker sequencer. The strummaker sequencer has all the advantages and disadvantages of a step sequencer. Its quick and easy to use but the results can lack feel. You certainly could use strummaker live from any MIDI controller. However would there any point triggering strums from a single note on a MIDI guitar??
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2010/12/11 03:08:07

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/11 01:59:47 (permalink)
    I doubt if you can find something that is REALLY GOOD and FREE.
    You need to compromise on one of those.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/11 02:24:25 (permalink)
    I doubt if you can find something that is REALLY GOOD and FREE. You need to compromise on one of those.

FWIW, There are only a handful of VSTi that sound convincing as a replacement for a real guitar.
    None of those are physical models... and none of them are free
    If authenticity is the OP's primary goal, physical modeling is just not there yet.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    fractalman93
    Re:I'm looking for a really GOOD free guitar VST plugin 2010/12/11 11:26:20 (permalink)
    My expectations aren't but so high.  I had been using Dreamstation to create an electric guitar sound.  By my standards, it did a decent job with the help of Guitar Rig.  I was just hoping for something a little better.  Revitar 2 would good if I could get the sustain out of it.  Even with Guitar Rig, I can't seem to get enough sustain for longer notes.  With a little fiddling, I could probably get a sound that would satisfy me from a FM synth . . . plus Guitar Rig.

I guess I got a bit carried away looking for a really good acoustic guitar sound.  In reality, it would work with the proper equipment and a thing (don't know what it's called) do dampen feedback from the body, but it's looking like it's just not there otherwise.  I'm keeping Revitar and DSK Akoustic Guitarz for their acoustic sounds, but I've got to find another method for electric guitar sounds.  Perhaps I will try Yellow Tools Independence FREE 2.5.

I've downloaded all sort of soft synths over the past 1.5 years.  An assortment of analog synths (subtractive, additive, modular), FM, PM, hybrids, etc.  I've got over 50 different synths.  I could probably get rid of a handful, but most are pretty usable and most were FREE.

Some of my personal favorites, that aren't packaged with Sonar, are:

Angular Momentum's Table Synth
    DSK's Darkness Theory 3
    GTG's FM4
    GSi's Organized Trio
    Pethu's Hahaha CS33
    Richard Brooks and the Voltkitchen Group's MiniMogueVA

----
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1