[SOLVED] Thumb drive prevents startup?

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2010/12/11 20:15:49 (permalink)

[SOLVED] Thumb drive prevents startup?

Hi-

My PC wouldn't get past the ASUS splash screen yesterday, and initially I thought the worst, since I couldn't even boot from a CD.  It just sat there; I couldn't get into the setup or do anything at all.

I went online with my laptop to Google this and came across a comment that someone with the same issue tried removing his thumb drive and that solved the problem.  Sure enough that did it for me, too, but I'd never heard of that before, and I'm pretty sure I've had a thumb drive attached at startup at one time or another.  It seems like a pretty major thing not to have noticed!

So my question is: Is this just the way it is with thumb drives, or only under certain circumstances I haven't come across before?  I've used this particular drive before and the only "unusual" thing about it is that it was temporarily used as a storage device for an Xbox.  The data was deleted while it was still attached to the Xbox, but I wonder if the way it formatted it originally has something to do with it.

The drive reads/writes fine in my PC, but my PC refuses to boot with it attached.  The file system is FAT32, if that makes a difference, my other drives are all NTFS.

It's not a big deal to remove it before I boot up, but I'm just curious why this happens.  I don't get a message of any kind, just the ASUS splash screen and then nothing.  It doesn't even try to read the hard drives or DVD.  Maybe there's a setting in the BIOS that's telling it to look for a USB drive to boot from, I'll check later.  But if that were the case I'd still expect a message.

Thanks-

-Susan
post edited by Susan G - 2010/12/31 10:29:50

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

13 Replies Related Threads

Divinit
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/11 21:21:45 (permalink)
    Susan,

Lots of machines will boot and look  for a USB key for boot information. If you have one inserted at boot time, and the BIOS is set to look for that, it will look there for boot information and never go past it. You could try going into your BIOS and checking for boot time settings and make sure "Boot to USB device" is unchecked. That should do it....

Good luck!

When one is doing the process of self-analysis, One should make sure that the Self that is doing the analysis is, in fact, sane.

Sonar X3 (always patched to current)
    Win7X64
    8gb RAM
    Quad Core AMD 3.6mhz
    TASCAM USB interface
    EMU 1616m PCIe interface w/breakout
    Rapture, Dimension Pro, Studio Instruments, Zeta 2, tons more of Cakewalk's software
    Tons of IK, NI Camel Audio and other softsynths, plugins
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
    birdg735
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 137
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/11 21:30:23 (permalink)
    I don't have any answers for you, but I've had the same thing happen to me:
    XP SP3 - NTFS - both internal system drives
    Went to start up one morning with a 2GB (FAT) stick in and had the exact symptoms that you experienced.  Weird thing is I have booted this way numerous times with no problems ???  If anyone has an explanation, I'll be interested.
    - B

Susan G
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/12 17:17:49 (permalink)
    Hi Divinit-

I checked today, and my boot sequence is 1) CD, 2) HDD, 3) Disabled, so I'm still at a loss why it's checking the USB device. That's with the drive unattached at boot-up, but I can't get in the BIOS with the drive attached to see if it looks any different with it in.

It's not a big deal to remove it every time, just a minor annoyance.

I am still curious though, since I'm 99% certain I've had thumb drives attached at startup without this happening, just like birdg.

Maybe the Xbox left some remnants on it that make it behave differently now.  I'll try reformatting it.

Thanks-

-Susan

Eotm
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/12 21:20:51 (permalink)
    I checked today, and my boot sequence is 1) CD, 2) HDD, 3) Disabled, so I'm still at a loss why it's checking the USB device.

Maybe cause when you have the usb stick in there at startup, the bios thinks its a hdd.  On my mobo the setting is called "usb storage function" and can be enabled or disabled. If enabled, the bios looks at all the usb drives and can boot from them. when disabled, the bios ignores the usb drives. But they're still available for windows to use.

Susan G
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/13 01:21:02 (permalink)
    "usb storage function"

Hi Eotm-

I don't think I saw anything like that in the BIOS, but I'll check again next time.

What threw me off thinking it was trying to boot from the USB drive in the first place was that I would have expected a message like "Non-system disk or disk error" or something -- anything!

The fact that it just sat there was the most disconcerting part of it.  That and the fact that I couldn't boot off a CD which I know for certain is bootable.  If it used the sequence I posted above, it should have booted from that CD without looking any further.

Thanks-

-Susan

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/13 06:45:26 (permalink)
    On SOME PC's there is an option in the BIOS for "USB Boot" or "USB No Boot".  If yours has this option set it to "no boot" and see if it helps.  We used to see this on the Dell users forum when USB connected peripherals were attached.  During the BOOT, the BIOS would query the USB device for booting and because it was not a "boot device" it would not respond.  The BIOS would have to go through a "time out" cycle which can last a couple of minutes before continuing on.  People were seeing this as not being able to boot.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Susan G
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/13 17:15:06 (permalink)
    Hi fireberd-

Interesting. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough, then. I didn't see anything in the BIOS that looked like a USB boot option.

I'll give it a few minutes next time.

Thanks!

-Susan

Susan G
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/14 19:22:38 (permalink)
    Well, I waited over 3 minutes and nothing happened. If it takes longer than that, I might as well just remove it in the first place!

-Susan

fireberd
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/15 06:31:59 (permalink)
    The USB "boot" option would not seem to be the problem.

If you can reformat this drive to NTFS, give that a try and see if it will boot OK.  I've had USB  flash drives attached and booted without problems.   Never tried it with FAT32 format (I'll have to try that some time on an old drive).

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    fireberd
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/15 19:26:51 (permalink)
    Update, I tried it both ways with a flash drive.  With it formatted to FAT32 (how it was originally formatted) my PC booted OK.  I then reformatted it to NTFS and rebooted and it was still OK, no delays.  I reformatted again back to the original FAT32 and did a third reboot and again no problems.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Susan G
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/15 21:52:11 (permalink)
    Thanks very much for that, fireberd.

So I'm still thinking it might have something to do with the way the Xbox formatted it, even though it says "FAT32" in properties. That's the only thing I can think of that makes this drive "unusual". I haven't reformatted it yet, but it's worth a shot.

-Susan

Susan G
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/16 16:55:19 (permalink)
    Update: Reformatting didn't make a difference, so I'll just live with it!

-Susan

Susan G
    Re:Thumb drive prevents startup? 2010/12/31 10:29:18 (permalink)
    Update: Problem solved.

I switched the drive to a different port (#1) on my D-Link hub (not on purpose to troubleshoot, just happened to) and my PC boots up fine now with it attached.

So now the thumb drive is assigned to F: instead of a higher letter. I think I had a Kindle in that port before. I would have thought it would stop looking for a bootable drive before it got to L or so. I have 3 hard drives (C: D: E:), DVD (G:), then 4 for a card reader (H: ~ K:).

Maybe try the same if you can, birdg735?

-Susan

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1