Using Nexus 2 with Cakewalk Music Creator (it isn't working)

Author
etherdose
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/12/11 21:16:20 (permalink)

Using Nexus 2 with Cakewalk Music Creator (it isn't working)

I have Cakewalk Music Creator and I love it so far, and I was using Nexus 2 off of a disk my friend let me use.  I was attempting to use it with some 'studio' style stuff and here's my big boggle.  I believe I installed it correctly (Nexus 2) and I am recording track by track.  I have a simple vocal audio track on track 1, and I can hear it in playback, but when I "add effect" and add Nexus 2, (which shows up, scans the database for files, then runs) I hear nothing.   What am I doing wrong or can you not use a synth to modify your vocals to make them sound cool AFTER you have recorded them already?  

Thanks!

6 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Using Nexus 2 with Cakewalk Music Creator (it isn't working) 2010/12/11 21:59:23 (permalink)
    I'm not familiar with Nexus 2, but I am checking out some demo's at the moment.
    It appears to be a conventional synth, which responds to MIDI input, not audio.
    Ok, after finding a few legit demo's among all the spam, yeah, it's a synth, which seems to rely heavily on a built-in arp.
    What I don't understand, is how you were planning to use it as a vocal effect.
    Can you elaborate?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Using Nexus 2 with Cakewalk Music Creator (it isn't working) 2010/12/12 15:02:51 (permalink)
    Synths are generally midi and that is a whole different animal than audio. The 2 are generally not compatible in that you can not use synths on audio, not can you use the audio fx directly in the midi synth... (you can apply the audio fx to the synth audio output)

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    etherdose
    Re:Using Nexus 2 with Cakewalk Music Creator (it isn't working) 2010/12/14 14:39:05 (permalink)
    Ahhhh...I see.   Well, to answer the 'why would I use it for a vocal'...simple.  A vocal is a sound just as any instrument is, and I wished to morph it by means of synth.  When I was younger (in my late teens) I used to run my mic through a roland OLD school 70's sythn and although the friend of mine that I borrowed it from was going ape s.hit saying "I shouldn't do that"...I liked it.  I was kinda influenced by Front 242 and Kraftwork when I was younger so to me it was fun to mess with the vocals.

What I am looking for truly is some kind of VST plugin that allows you to affect the vocals and create an 'auto tune'.  I used a Orange vocoder vst plug in for Cakewalk, and it sounds awesome, but I realize that a vocoder is more of the 'robot' sounds and that weird Queen robot chorus sound.  What I am more correctly looking for is that trendy warbly auto tuner sound so I can experiment with it.  I read some articles online that people were using the Nexus 2 synth to recreate a 'vocoder' effect, and that was back when I thought the auto tuner and the vocoder were two different names for the same thing, which they are not.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Using Nexus 2 with Cakewalk Music Creator (it isn't working) 2010/12/14 15:28:34 (permalink)
    honestly, there aren't any free softsynths or plugins that will do what you want.

PSYN II from cake is said to be able to do a decent vocoder, or auto tune or melodyne or even v-vocal are not free.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    etherdose
    Re:Using Nexus 2 with Cakewalk Music Creator (it isn't working) 2010/12/17 18:23:37 (permalink)
    That's fine if it isn't free, ....I just wanted to know some names of suggested plug-ins that could achieve this.   Thanks for the first suggestion.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Using Nexus 2 with Cakewalk Music Creator (it isn't working) 2010/12/17 19:58:23 (permalink)
    PYSN is a sonar exclusive plugin, tho, you'll have to upgrade for that, and honestly, I'm not sure if it's included with the new version X1 or not - and if it is, I don't know if it's included with Essentials, Studio or Producer.

but there was an article in Keyboard magazine a year or two ago about how to make a vocoder out of it.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1