How do you copywrite your music ?

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2010/12/13 18:54:07 (permalink)

How do you copywrite your music ?

Hi all

First off sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this but I had no idea what thread to put it in so sorry if this is the wrong place.

With that said .......

How do you all go about copywriteing your songs/ tracks etc ?

Ive never done it before and thought wth some of the things Ive been comeing out with before I let some people hear it would be best to do this ?

Any sugestions ?

Thanks to everyone :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

17 Replies Related Threads

Jumbicat
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/13 19:05:16 (permalink)
    That's a question I've wondered myself.  Everyone has their material on-line so one can only assume it's copyrighted.  Maybe someone who does a lot of publishing can chime in.  Back in the day, one could  send groups of songs and get it all done under 1 submittal.  But I imagine it's a whole new game now. To expand on your original question, can audio files replace staff?

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
    http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
    Norrie
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/13 19:14:03 (permalink)
    Glad to know I am not the only one with this question :)

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/13 19:19:30 (permalink)
    Not sure about international copyright law.
    If you are in the U.S.
    You don't copyright your material.
    You are granted an automatic copyright upon creation.
    If you wish to register your copyright with the US Gov. you should visit
    http://www.copyright.gov/
    Read the first 2

Copyright Basics (en Español)
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/13 20:27:46 (permalink)
    Anything you write is automatically copyrighted as RLD pointed out. The tricky bit is PROVING that you wrote it first. That's why we pay money to copyright companies to try to prove that you wrote it first and this will give you a much better argument in court. It's tricky stuff and the difficult part is in the proof of ownership.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/14 06:54:26 (permalink)
    I read somewhere that if you post the material to yourself, via recorded delivery, that provides proof of the date/time when you wrote it.

But this was several years ago, the law might have changed since then.

Have you tried an online search Norrie?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/14 08:23:16 (permalink)
    I use an online service to timestamp my music, along with registering it with the government copyright service (can't remember the dep't name).  There are a few websites offering this time-stamp service, and I'd bet they're only useful until the company goes belly-up, but they're cheap.  Besides, i don't think anyone's going to uncover my greatest hits in 20 years and make a mint off this drivel...

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/14 08:38:27 (permalink)
    Copyright... granted to all original music upon the first recording. As when you record your song.

COPYRIGHT REGISTRATION.... is when you establish with a reputable 3rd party that fact that YOU created it and when.

Most people in the USA use the US Copyright Office. It is required before any claim of copyright can be brought in a court of law, as in the case of infringement.

DO NOT mail it to yourself registered mail. That is not considered to be a provable event.  You must use a reputable 3rd party.

To my knowledge, only a few of these exist. One is the Library of Congress Copyright Office and they charge a fee per song or for a collection of songs. I used to use them and would submit collections with up to 10 or more songs at a time. I believe it is $45 per song or collection.

Now, I use a 3rd party service that comes with a songwriting program called Masterwriter. It is a songwriting assistant and it includes a subscription to a secure server that date/time stamps your submission. It is non-editable nor is it removable once it's there. Only a court order can get a certified copy out to a judges desk.  The cost is very low..... I have had this now for almost 2 years and have not had to renew it yet. It was included in the price of the program.  I have over 50 songs protected in this manner.

The reality: In short..... no one is going to steal your songs. Very few people write songs of sufficient commercial, top of the charts, quality to really have to worry or loose sleep over this. As your writing improves, this will of course, change.

I would suggest highly, that when you DO start to plug your songs to publishers, artists and others in the business, DO consider some sort of protection at that point. Many reputable publishers and libraries will not even consider your music unless it is registered and protected. This protects you and it also protects them.

What is copyrightable?  Lyrics, and melody. That's about it. With very few exceptions, nothing else is copyrightable.  You can not copyright a title, a chord progression, the groove or feel of the song, or the rhythm of the song.  

Forget free "fair use".... it generally doesn't apply to songwriters. So don't copy anybodies music intentionally claiming fair use. Even a short segment is not allowed.

One of the questions on every single song contract or library submission form these days concerns the clearance of samples. they want to be sure any and all samples are free and clear of copyright infringement.

How do you copyright a work:  http://www.copyright.gov/ is the site to register the copyright online.
    or buy Masterwriter and use their SONGUARD service. Masterwriter is on sale now for $150 which is half of what it cost when I bought it. I find it to be very useful as a writing tool, and had no idea that it included the Songuard service when I got it.

BTW: If and when a publisher signs your song, they will register it with the copyright office for you. It is technically their song when you sign it to them and they will protect it. With libraries, you act as your own publisher in many cases, so it would be up to you to secure the protection needed for the song.

Hope this helps.

For more info on this topic...and this is really just scratching the surface of copyright law.... get the book called "This Business of Music" and read it. Especially the chapters on copyright and international copyright laws. that's some heady reading.

here's a few time stampers: I don't know about these companies, I just found them with a google search.

http://www.guardtime.com/

http://www.e-timestamp.co...8M_v66UCFaVx5Qod4nXGow

a more thorough search will turn up more. I'll continue to use Songuard since it is music specific.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/12/14 08:42:31

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/14 11:57:25 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Now, I use a 3rd party service that comes with a songwriting program called Masterwriter. It is a songwriting assistant and it includes a subscription to a secure server that date/time stamps your submission. It is non-editable nor is it removable once it's there. Only a court order can get a certified copy out to a judges desk.  The cost is very low..... I have had this now for almost 2 years and have not had to renew it yet. It was included in the price of the program.  I have over 50 songs protected in this manner.

Interesting site, GH.  I know IndiePool.com retains the timecode for Canadians, along with distribution/duplication facilities...
    How well does this software impact your writing?

(sorry to hijack, hopefully this won't create an annoyingly-long tangent)

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/14 13:50:47 (permalink)
    Slug....I use MW quite a bit. I find the rhyming dictionary and phrases to be very handy.  As I am writing, an come up with a line, I will enter the word that needs a rhyme into the software and it will display sometimes 8 pages of possible rhymes. As I look through the lists, I let my subconscious do it's job and when I see an interesting word, I'll stop and play with it a bit.... moving on if nothing comes and often returning again to certain words as ideas gel around those words or phrases.

Back in the day, I used to use books and that was more of a pain to try to look things up. This is quick and intuitive.

I can copy into and out of MW so if I start writing somewhere else, in lyric view, I can easily transfer it into MW to finish it. It is also easy to import the finished MP3 into MW for storage and or registration with Songuard. I use it to keep all my tunes in one convenient place. It also allows versions of songs. 

They still offer the demo version, so you can download it, and play with it for a few days...IIRC it's 30 days limited. Some functions do not work but the basic stuff is fully functional. Songuard doesn't work in demo.

BTW: MW's support is pretty good. I have had a few issues related to a corrupt OS on my lappy and they really worded with me to get it running...even offering a full refund (8 months after installing) because it looked like it wasn't going to work properly. I told them I wanted a working MW not a refund. They also reset my licenses several times in this process. The program can be licensed on 2 computers at a time.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/12/14 13:58:52

BMI/NSAI

Norrie
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/15 08:49:31 (permalink)
    I have master writer but had no Idea about that.

Off to have a look :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Guitarhacker
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/15 19:15:33 (permalink)
    Norrie, be sure you update MW..... if it's not been used in a while, it should update automatically. Mine does on a regular basis... they're always adding new words and stuff...

Songuard is in the menu bar...all the way on the right. Attach an MP3 to the lyrics and upload them.

BMI/NSAI

Norrie
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/15 19:21:12 (permalink)
    Awesome man thanks for the heads up

I am just going to go and see about updates for it

Could you tell me how to check for updates ?

Although I bought the program a while back I havent really got into the ins and outs of it yet I just got it thinking it would be a handy thing to have :) Ive only played about with it a couple of times so I should really start makeing the most of it it looks like an awesome program and from what Ive used it is :)

Thanks for the help

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Guitarhacker
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/16 08:02:10 (permalink)
    When you open it up, if you are connected to the net it should check for updates automatically. If not, you can make it check.... I don't have that computer on right now but in the top menu bar... the last one to the right usually has the "about" and "check for updates" in it.

You should have the Songuard tab showing already in the options available. When you are in lyric view... it should be all the way to the right in the options tabs.

I will import my lyrics into MW as I work on the song, using it's features to find the words and phrases. When I finish I let it set while I record in Cake. (MC4) When I export the song and convert to mp3, I will then import the mp3 into MW so it is linked with the lyrics, and then I use Songuard to register both at the same time with the SG servers.

BTW: MW has a recorder built in for grabbing ideas and saving them. It's like a tape recorded.... one track, but the whole idea is so you don't loose the idea in the moment.

EDIT: at the TAXI convention in LA every year...... Masterwriter is a sponsor, and they conduct seminars on how to use MW to get the most from it.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/12/16 08:03:19

BMI/NSAI

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/16 14:02:53 (permalink)
    The US copyright was changed to conform to international law a few years ago.  Norrie, I'm sure you Brits have a copyright office, which is the surest way.  And yes, your work is protected as soon as it is created.  Proving you created it is another matter and that is why you officially copyright it (or use a fool proof system like guitar).

In the US you can "copyright" a whole CD of songs at once by sending it in "as a performance" for the same price as per song.  Don't know if that works across the pond. 

Unless you are a songwriter and trying to make money at it, you probably don't need to officially do it.  I doubt if the Rolling Stones are going to steal your song after they make a couple of million on it.  They are more likely to get sued (and have been) by someone who claims they stole the song from them.  Not to say it couldn't happen, but you are more likely to be struck by lightening while stepping on a rattelsnake in Ireland.  Feel free to register your song(s), esp. if you want to get into the industry.  But if you just make a cd and send it to your mum and dad and girlfriend and best mates the likely hood of missing out on a money shower from heaven is small.  If you are working w/in a band, a system for writing credits need to be worked out before you register the songs.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/19 17:37:08 (permalink)
    Norrie

Hi all

First off sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this but I had no idea what thread to put it in so sorry if this is the wrong place.

With that said .......

How do you all go about copywriteing your songs/ tracks etc ?

Ive never done it before and thought wth some of the things Ive been comeing out with before I let some people hear it would be best to do this ?

Any sugestions ?

Thanks to everyone :)

Norrie

In the U.S you send a sound recording to the Library of Congress-Copyright Office, CD, etc.. They accept digital copies now also. Or you can send it in sheet music form. There is a fee and a form for each type of submission.  In your country, I'm not sure.

Craig DuBuc
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    Norrie
    Re:How do you copywrite your music ? 2010/12/19 21:17:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replys guys :)

I feel the chances of some one wanting to use any of my work is slim to none but it was something I was thinking about for some reason I dont know haha

I am still unsure how it works over here in Scotland in the UK I guess a lot of time on google would help me find away if I needed to

Interesting though to see how all you guys do it :)

Thanks for all the replys

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1