Using a Ducking Gate With Multiple Sends

Author
Chappel
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2300
2010/12/14 20:02:19 (permalink)

Using a Ducking Gate With Multiple Sends

I've been playing around with the Sonitus Gate as a ducking tool using sends from multiple tracks. I have three Rhythm guitar tracks going into a Bus. I inserted the Sonitus gate in its FX bin and set the Depth at -2 db and the threshold at -60 db. I want the guitars to hush up a bit when my vocal, guitar and synth solo tracks are playing and have inserted a PRE send in each one.

I have also done this with a gate in my drums bus. I have been playing around with the Attack, Hold and Release controls in the gates and am reasonably happy with the results but I would appreciate any tips, caveats or advice from anyone with more experience and insight in this sort of thing.

And, of course, anyone who wants to know more or just discuss it is more than welcome to throw their two cents in.

5 Replies Related Threads

D.J. ESPO
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Using a Ducking Gate With Multiple Sends 2010/12/15 00:46:22 (permalink)
    Set up the "Support" tracks that you want to be subservient  to the vocal  into groups and buss them ( just like you would the drums) .. Next take a feed ( Send) over to an fx buss from each one of these and the set up your gate triggered by the vocal ( vocal feeds the side chain) .

This means that every time the vocal comes in/up ,  the gate will open up and feed MORE of these into the master buss...........................................

Now that you thought about this  for awhile and have decided that I'm totally mad .............. one last step ..................... change the phase switch on that fx buss with the gate in it so that the mix of all those "vocal is more important that you are " signals are 180 degrees out of phase .....................

Anti-phase  is your friend now , isn't it ???????
    post edited by D.J. ESPO - 2010/12/15 00:48:40
    D.J. ESPO
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Using a Ducking Gate With Multiple Sends 2010/12/15 00:53:54 (permalink)
    It also isn't always   needed to duck all frequencies ...... Vocal intelligibility can be improved greatly  by only ducking the 2.5Khz to 4.5khz region ..........................( this is where you hear enunciation  most ) 
    Chappel
    Re:Using a Ducking Gate With Multiple Sends 2010/12/15 01:19:16 (permalink)
    D.J. ESPO

It also isn't always   needed to duck all frequencies ...... Vocal intelligibility can be improved greatly  by only ducking the 2.5Khz to 4.5khz region ..........................( this is where you hear enunciation  most ) 

And how do I go about ducking certain frequencies and not others?
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Using a Ducking Gate With Multiple Sends 2010/12/15 02:54:02 (permalink)
    Using D.J Espo's method, you could put an eq on the phase flipped track (which cancels out sound) and eq out using high/low passes/shelves to remove everything you DON'T want to be removed. So in the case above, you would put a low and high pass filter (or shelf) set at around 2.5 and 4.5. This means that the negative polarity (phase flipped) track that you sum into the original mix only contains that mid range content, so that is the only content that is REMOVED from the guitar tracks when ducking.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Chappel
    Re:Using a Ducking Gate With Multiple Sends 2010/12/15 03:54:37 (permalink)
    mattplaysguitar

Using D.J Espo's method, you could put an eq on the phase flipped track (which cancels out sound) and eq out using high/low passes/shelves to remove everything you DON'T want to be removed. So in the case above, you would put a low and high pass filter (or shelf) set at around 2.5 and 4.5. This means that the negative polarity (phase flipped) track that you sum into the original mix only contains that mid range content, so that is the only content that is REMOVED from the guitar tracks when ducking.

Very interesting. I will have to spend some time with that method and see what I can do with it. Thanks to both you and D.J. Espo for giving me plenty to think about.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1