Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential?

Author
Coughdog
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2010/12/19 11:32:14 (permalink)

Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential?

I got an offer to upgrade my softward to X1 Essential for $59.   When I looked on the comparison chart between the various X1 packages,  I was supriced to see Essential does not run on 64 bit.   I'm currently running HS7XL on windows 7,and like a lot of you, I thought I'd be running on 64 bit because thats what I clicked on during the install. 

Based on the comparison chart for X1  [link=http://cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/X1-Essential/Overview.aspx/Comparison-Chart]http://cakewalk.com/Produ....aspx/Comparison-Chart[/link]  there does'nt seem to be a difference between Essential and HS7XL.

Question:  If X1 Essential is loaded on a 64 bit machine, will it be able to take advantabe of RAM beyond 3 gigs as I thought was the case with HS7XL? 

It's just too bad CW just didn't release a 64bit version of HS7XL....the thought of learnign new software makes me want to shelf the upgrade entirely.

Dell 1737 Studio Laptop, Intel Dual Core, 2.00 GHz, 800Mhz, Windows 7 (64 bit)

Sonar-X1 Studio, EZDrummer, Line6 Toneport UX-1, M-Audio Fastrack Pro  

13 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/19 23:51:49 (permalink)
    I don't plan on upgrading in the near future; what I have works great.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Changy1
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/20 05:31:27 (permalink)
    I'm not planning it either.. I was very disapointed in CW who allowed me to upgrade from Home studio 7 to 7XL and the following month brough out X1 and offered it free for the same upgrade.. I contacted them on the basis that they must have known this offer was coming and could have advised me to wait a month, but they fired me off saying I would have to pay again to further upgrade, That's fair I thought NOT!.. So they can ram  it.. I'm sticking with what I've got..
    post edited by Changy1 - 2010/12/20 05:33:23
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/20 10:56:25 (permalink)
    Question:  If X1 Essential is loaded on a 64 bit machine, will it be able to take advantabe of RAM beyond 3 gigs as I thought was the case with HS7XL? 

no - neither SHS7XL nor Essentials X1 will take advantage of RAM beyond 3G because they are both 32bit apps.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/20 10:58:03 (permalink)
    Changy1

I'm not planning it either.. I was very disapointed in CW who allowed me to upgrade from Home studio 7 to 7XL and the following month brough out X1 and offered it free for the same upgrade.. I contacted them on the basis that they must have known this offer was coming and could have advised me to wait a month, but they fired me off saying I would have to pay again to further upgrade, That's fair I thought NOT!.. So they can ram  it.. I'm sticking with what I've got..

I've never understood this mentality.  you got what you paid for.  at the time you thought it was worth your money.  only because cakewalk released something new did you feel "cheated"  - that's only your perception changing because you want something you didn't pay for.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/20 12:46:36 (permalink)
    Changy1

I'm not planning it either.. I was very disapointed in CW who allowed me to upgrade from Home studio 7 to 7XL and the following month brough out X1 and offered it free for the same upgrade. I'm sticking with what I've got.

I did know about the offer and didn't upgrade.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/20 22:18:20 (permalink)
    Beagle

Changy1

I've never understood this mentality.  you got what you paid for.  at the time you thought it was worth your money.  only because cakewalk released something new did you feel "cheated"  - that's only your perception changing because you want something you didn't pay for.

Changy1 - It pays to keep up on the forum.  I upgraded from SHS4XL to 7XL, found the interface very different, then started noticing on the forum a lot of comments and suggestions to not go past SHS6XL or, there was an upgrade opportunity I missed, to go to Studio for a discount.  I was disappointed... but mostly in myself for not checking the forum or asking before buying.

But patience paid off because eventually the day came for loyal customers to upgrade to Studio 8.5 for the same discount I missed.  Based on all the advice I'd seen on the forum I pounced on it and it's was far and away the best investment I've made so far. 

So hang in there, stay in touch on the forum, and some day I'd bet you'll get to jump on a similar discounted upgrade. 

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/20 23:57:57 (permalink)
    Fwiw, I downloaded X1E last night (after getting clearance).
    Truth be told, it's throwing me for a loop. I've gotten used to the old Sonar way in SHS6XL and Sonar 8.
    I am seeing some really cool stuff, though, and once I get my head wrapped around it, It may be a good thing.
    For instance, the controller pane in PRV shows controller events in separate strips. Velocity has an exclusive strip, as do wheel events.
    Way cool.
    I mostly downloaded it just to see how it would behave in an XP Home 32 bit environment.
    So far, it is behaving rather well.
    Where I have gotten stuck, the help files have been clear, and gotten me past it.
    Make no mistake, X1 Essentials is not SHS7. It is more in line with the abilities of SHS6 (which I firmly believe was the peak of the SHS line)
    I won't abandon SHS6XL (too many projects active in it), but I do like what X1 E has brought to the table.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Changy1
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/21 03:48:04 (permalink)
    I've never understood this mentality. you got what you paid for. at the time you thought it was worth your money. only because cakewalk released something new did you feel "cheated" - that's only your perception changing because you want something you didn't pay for.

You're right in your observations that I did upgrade and was happy with the upgrade.. What frustrated me was that CW must have known this offer was coming and rather than perhaps mention it before I upgraded and giving me the option to hold on 3 weeks,, They chose not to.. Very dispapointed in that.. But you live and learn..
    57Gregy
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/21 10:52:50 (permalink)
    Changy1

I've never understood this mentality. you got what you paid for. at the time you thought it was worth your money. only because cakewalk released something new did you feel "cheated" - that's only your perception changing because you want something you didn't pay for.

You're right in your observations that I did upgrade and was happy with the upgrade.. What frustrated me was that CW must have known this offer was coming and rather than perhaps mention it before I upgraded and giving me the option to hold on 3 weeks,, They chose not to.. Very dispapointed in that.. But you live and learn..

I suppose the difference in ordering method might have something to do with that.
    Did you order online? Or on the phone? If an online order, it's just data and is processed like any order. If you ordered on the phone, a good salesperson should have mentioned the upcoming offer. Even if it was a secret, they could have suggested you wait a month, with a wink and a nudge.
    Just my opinion, but as a salesman, that's what I would have done.

Greg 

Changy1
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/22 04:48:47 (permalink)
    Hi

I ordered online.. Its nice to know that its not just me thinking CW were a bit.. well naughty really.. But you live and learn as I said,, And I'm learning for the sake of about £50 CW will not be getting anymore of my business for now.. I will be looking at the alternative DAW's available and if I see something I like it may well be bye bye CW.... But we'll see   Cheers   
    keneds
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/24 17:38:39 (permalink)
    I to switched over to X1E. It's been about a week with my new computer and X1E. I'm enjoying it and so far it seems to be running rather well.  After reading 95% of the posts in the X1 forum I think X1E should have its own forum category or be lumped in with the HS category because X1S & X1P are in a different class (64bit). I'm having a heck of a time getting my Alphatrack to work on my 64 bit machine with a 32 bit DAW, X1E will not recognize my .dll file in shared surfaces, rather frustrating.
     But all in all....I'm happy to use X1E and it's functionality.
    post edited by keneds - 2010/12/24 17:39:46

SONAR Platinum  
    Dell XPS17 /  External 23" touch screen & 22" HP displays/Windows 10 64bit i5 processor/  
    8Gb ram/500GB (7200rpm SATA HD)/Roland VS-700 set/KRK rockit 6/KRK 10" sub and a bunch of cables
    EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

keneds
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2010/12/25 12:02:55 (permalink)
    AlphaTrack works fine now with win.7 64bit and 32bit X1. Took a while but I got it.

SONAR Platinum  
    Dell XPS17 /  External 23" touch screen & 22" HP displays/Windows 10 64bit i5 processor/  
    8Gb ram/500GB (7200rpm SATA HD)/Roland VS-700 set/KRK rockit 6/KRK 10" sub and a bunch of cables
    EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Why upgrade from HS7XL to X1 Essential? 2011/01/09 19:09:11 (permalink)
    i bought shs7xl and didnt even realize i was intitled to a free upgrade to sonar x1.cakewalk didnt come knocking on my door telling about this free upgrade..it was a promo if you bought shs7xl between nov.1-dec31,2010 you got a free download of sonar x1...i was a little bumbed i never recieved an email about this promo,..i had to find it myself..but not to punch a gift horse in the face,,im happy with this new interface..it will prepare me for when i splurge to get sonar x1 producer..i heard its a proffesonial package
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1