Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems?

Author
wayofmind
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 101
2010/12/20 05:11:33 (permalink)

Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems?

I just worked my butt off on a mix, only to have it sound like complete trash on another sound system, to the point of being really embarrassing.

Up until now I've had mixes have subtle differences outside of my monitors, i.e. low end becomes too pronounced or mid-range things (guitars) too loud/quiet ... But this time my ENTIRE mix sounded COMPLETELY out of whack.

Any tips in this area?

www.richieblac.com 
Sonar X3e Producer x64
Nuendo 4 
AMD FX 8350
16gb RAM 1600mhz
Windows 8.1
PreSonus Firestudio

13 Replies Related Threads

gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/20 06:37:39 (permalink)
    Acoustic treatment, good/flat monitors and room-tuning.
    Sorry, no magic button or setting.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/20 07:25:23 (permalink)
    I always take my mix around and listen on a few systems.

It's shame you suffered discouragement... but I'll bet you are ready for a remix.

Do it... it's a pretty normal part of the process.

best regards,
    mike

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/20 11:40:43 (permalink)
    This happens to the best of 'em. I forget which Beatles track it was, but it was recorded and mixed at Trident studios and it sounded fantastic there. Then when they brought it back to EMI it sounded terrible. Turns out that the Trident studio monitors were much brighter sounding than the EMI monitors.

Do you have a bunch of recordings that you absolutely love the sound of? Load those into your DAW and learn how they sound on your setup. Then learn how they sound on other setups. Now try to make your mixes sound like they wouldn't be out of place when played next to your favorites.  Not necessarily sound like those mixes, just make them sound like they would fit well together in a compilation.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/20 12:12:00 (permalink)
    Translation can seem like a perpetually moving target at first. The basic problem is that every playback system is deficient (including your studio monitoring), and each system is deficient in its own way. If it seems impossible to make a record that sounds equally good everywhere, it's because it truly IS impossible.

You can find lots of tips, such as using well-made commercial recordings as references, or applying spectral and amplitude analyses to your mixes. But ultimately there is only one workable strategy, which is to make your own monitoring system and your own monitoring environment as neutral as possible. The goal is to shoot for the statistical center of all possible playback system deficiencies.

This will not guarantee your music will sound great in the car, but whatever shortcomings you hear in the car will be the fault of the car's stereo and the weird acoustics inherent in all cars, not in your mix.

Most musicians are conditioned to think that if they aren't getting the sound they want, the solution is buying better gear. There is a whole industry built around that belief that loves to take your money while making false promises in return. But good news: when it comes to translation, throwing money at the problem is not the cure. Your salvation lies in the study and application of acoustics, both measurement and treatments. Measurements are free and treatments are (or at least can be) inexpensive. Resolve the acoustical problems in your room and your mixes will instantly start to translate better and better.

(Note: this advice does presume that you already own some acceptable studio monitors. That doesn't mean expensive speakers, just reasonably flat full-range speakers. Spending big bucks on speakers is a total waste of money if you don't address room acoustics first. This would only not be the case if you were mixing on severely deficient speakers such as stock plastic computer speakers, laptop speakers or iPod earbuds.)

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/20 12:13:58 (permalink)
    Yup, big +1 on all the above.

Get a bunch of reference tracks and listen to them in your studio, try to learn what your monitors / room does to the sound field and relative balance. Make sure you listen to these references on a bunch of other speakers too (so you can make relative comparisons against your own room).

Listen to your mixes on lots of different systems, check that the same sort of differences are occuring, as you've observered with your referrence tracks.

I have 2 sets of speakers in my control room, some decent monitors and some £15 charity shop grot boxes, I flip between them regularly and listen at quiet and loud volumes to help ensure translatability.

Cheers,
    Child
    wayofmind
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/20 12:16:06 (permalink)
    tarsier

This happens to the best of 'em. I forget which Beatles track it was, but it was recorded and mixed at Trident studios and it sounded fantastic there. Then when they brought it back to EMI it sounded terrible. Turns out that the Trident studio monitors were much brighter sounding than the EMI monitors.

Do you have a bunch of recordings that you absolutely love the sound of? Load those into your DAW and learn how they sound on your setup. Then learn how they sound on other setups. Now try to make your mixes sound like they wouldn't be out of place when played next to your favorites.  Not necessarily sound like those mixes, just make them sound like they would fit well together in a compilation.

This is more or less what I've been running on. I have my "sweet spot" set up where I listen to a lot of music and mix, so I try to train my ears to how things should should sound relative to that spot in the room. I never mix with the subwoofer on, though I'll bring it up obviously when I want to tend specifically to the low end - but first i'll bring up a bunch of "pro" mixes to find a good reference point.

As I said, the most I've ever suffered in the last 3 years (yeah, I'm still a noob, but not THAT kind of noob) was having little things here or there be off the mark on another sound system... Vocals don't sound right, or entire sibilance area is suddenly overbearing, or what-have-you. But never, in likely over 100 songs, my -entire- mix and practically -all- of my painstakingly-set levels.

There are a few of things that probably contributed to yesterday's occurance.
    1) I have alternate references to use on the spot, outside of my mains, before calling it a day: 2 pairs of headphones (Shure SRH-840's and Sony MDR-7509HD's), crappy laptop speakers, and an old stereo. Used none of them.
    2) I mixed 1 song for 10 hours straight. Only took breaks to eat. By the end of the day I'm sure fatigue was a big factor.
    3) Personally, I absolutely hate the raw tracks. Aside from the drummer, nobody else in the group had recorded before. So all of the raw tracks besides the drums are absolutely horrendous - not as in peaks or signal quality, mind you, but in performance. But it's my job to mix it and make it sound not so bad. It's rough when you have a bad taste in your mouth from the start. But I suppose it's my job to get over that?

EDIT: When I mean "bad" I mean so bad that for 2 of the backup vocalists I had to crank my preamp up to 100% to get even a low signal and  provide moderate monitoring, because they were so terrified of the microphone that they sang at near-whisper level and stood too far from the mic -- obviously introducing LOTS of unnecessary noise into the signal.

post edited by wayofmind - 2010/12/20 12:20:57

www.richieblac.com 
    Sonar X3e Producer x64
    Nuendo 4 
    AMD FX 8350
    16gb RAM 1600mhz
    Windows 8.1
    PreSonus Firestudio
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/20 12:23:05 (permalink)
    3) Personally, I absolutely hate the raw tracks. Aside from the drummer, nobody else in the group had recorded before. So all of the raw tracks besides the drums are absolutely horrendous - not as in peaks or signal quality, mind you, but in performance. But it's my job to mix it and make it sound not so bad. It's rough when you have a bad taste in your mouth from the start. But I suppose it's my job to get over that?

Hehe, you can polish a turd but it will still smell like sh1t.

Sounds like it may well have been translating well, it's just bad per-se! ;-)

I agree that sometimes you have to put in a lot of effort to get over your own tastes and preferences and, especially when you (I)'ve put in a long session I tend to find myself thinking 'I should have stopped mixing about 20 mins ago, whatever I've done since didn't really help!'

Child

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/20 13:37:46 (permalink)
    wayofmind

I just worked my butt off on a mix, only to have it sound like complete trash on another sound system, to the point of being really embarrassing.

Up until now I've had mixes have subtle differences outside of my monitors, i.e. low end becomes too pronounced or mid-range things (guitars) too loud/quiet ... But this time my ENTIRE mix sounded COMPLETELY out of whack.

Any tips in this area?

Know your monitors. You have to learn what your monitors sound like and how that would translate to on other systems. For example if your mix has too much bass in the car then your monitors are weak in that area. Once you learn that you can mix with a better balance so it comes out right on other systems.  If the mids are not very detailed and come out too loud or unbalanced on other systems you might need different monitors.  Even a set of cheap low power stereo speakers might be good on have on your rig to double check your mix with.  That way if you are swamping the mix with bass you will know it right away.  A set of car 6x9 speakers in boxes are always good to have. Just don't get "good" ones that can handle a lot of power. It's better to have close to OEM quality full range 6x9. Two way ones with a cone tweeter and small magnets seem to work best, if you can still find such a thing.

There are lots of major label recording where they failed to do that. I try to play the CD in my car and I have to turn it way down to keep from damaging my speakers.  Yes it make the CD sound better at very low volume but the down side is you can't crank it so you can enjoy what is going on in the mids, it's just THUMP THUMP THUMP.  I'm sure it sounded perfect on the $14,000 speakers in the studio but that didn't help the customer any.
    post edited by ohhey - 2010/12/20 13:42:39
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/20 16:03:37 (permalink)
    It is also about monitor technique and I have found that checking mixes on a small mono speaker (full range driver) Auratone type device and at relatively low SPL level is a very good way to ensure your mixes go out well balanced.

I have mentioned it on another thread and here are some links to such devices:

http://www.soundonsound.c...s/avantonemixcubes.htm
    http://www.avantelectroni.../Active%20MixCubes.htm

When you think about it, hearing your mix on a small mono speaker, softly (and you also get close to it as well) will have the effect of pushing any room acoustics and reverberation away into the distance, leaving your mix fully exposed.  Mixing is still about good balancing skills and making sure things don't poke out unnecessarily. (Unless they are meant to) The small speaker emphasises all sorts of situations in a mix. The balance between instruments, vocal music balances, any tracks that are too loud or soft, bass levels, if panned or centre instruments are balanced, you name it. Of course checking on your normal monitors (at 85 db SPL and way above too) opens up stereo, bass and reverbs a lot more but it is always interesting how after you adjust something to satisfy the small speaker how little the mix has changed on your main monitors or how much better your mix sounds.

I have found you do not need to take your mix into six or seven different locations to test it. Get it great sounding on the little speaker, check things up loud and you will find it sounds good everywhere and in the car as well. If you car is boomy then it will make obvious any deep bass etc.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    wayofmind
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/20 19:53:49 (permalink)
    Thanks a bunch for all of your responses, guys. Very useful insight for a noob-ish guy like me. bitflipper, I don't know how I missed your post earlier today before I made my first response. But yes, everything everyone has said has given me a lot to think about. I've thought about stuff like getting started on acoustic panels and such before... But I was kind of dragging my feet with that because I had gotten decent results regardless... Until yesterday. It was bad. I mean... It was really bad.

www.richieblac.com 
    Sonar X3e Producer x64
    Nuendo 4 
    AMD FX 8350
    16gb RAM 1600mhz
    Windows 8.1
    PreSonus Firestudio
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/20 21:24:17 (permalink)
    Definitely more than one set of speakers, and some headphones. If you have a monitor controller (the Central Station is an inexpensive option), you can quickly switch between two sets of speakers. It makes a lot of difference because you can do it quickly with a press of a button, to really hear the differences. So get some cheap desktop speakers as second pair and use them as a second reference (in addition to all the other stuff above about room treatment and tuning.)

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/21 11:53:43 (permalink)
    I have to agree about knowing your monitors. I've got a set of Event 20/20's back at home just waiting to make the trip up here. I bought a set of Altec Lansing computer speakers really cheap at Tiger Direct up here with no intention of using them with my DAW. They are surprisingly linear in the mid to high range and the sub-woofer can be adjusted to make the system work.  I use the Beatles #1 CD to calibrate my monitors.

What I like about this CD is that it starts with their early work and progresses technically. Their early work has the instruments very well isolated so that I can adjust the tone to the point where each instrument sounds exceptionally realistic. As the album progresses, I can tune in the subtleties of the mid ranges for the multitude of interesting instruments they incorporate such as cello ( Eleanor Rigby ) piccolo trumpet ( Penny Lane ), piano ( Lady Madonna ), Electric Piano ( Get Back ), Strings ( The long and winding road ). 

Now that I know I'm getting my money's worth from the system. I know that it's no longer my limiting factor. Now it's up to me to do a good job of feeding it with a well balanced input.  Further, most people will be listening back on a comparable system ( home stereo, car stereo or mp3 player). I always make an mp3 of my product to listen back on my mp3. I'll take the same mp3 player and plug it into my car stereo to listen back as well. Once I think it sounds good on these three systems, I'll commit it to a CD and listen to the CD back on several systems as well.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Tips for good mix translation to other sound systems? 2010/12/21 12:08:49 (permalink)
    wayofmind

Thanks a bunch for all of your responses, guys. Very useful insight for a noob-ish guy like me. bitflipper, I don't know how I missed your post earlier today before I made my first response. But yes, everything everyone has said has given me a lot to think about. I've thought about stuff like getting started on acoustic panels and such before... But I was kind of dragging my feet with that because I had gotten decent results regardless... Until yesterday. It was bad. I mean... It was really bad.

If you are looking for monitors I bought a set of Behringer B2031a monitors and my first mix on them sounded just right in the car.  They are not the best monitors out there but for the money they are plenty "good enough". 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1