my 10 yr old sony runs sonar better than my 5 yr old dell. why?

Author
blusinatra
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/12/21 13:26:36 (permalink)

my 10 yr old sony runs sonar better than my 5 yr old dell. why?

a recent problem with my 10 yr old sony vaio desktop workhorse led me to start using a 5 year old dell with a faster processor and more ram. to my surprise i could only run a project with about a dozen stereo tracks before it would stop mid playback. i could easily run 30 or more stereo tracks on the sony. since i'm getting ready to build or buy a new machine i want to make sure i get one that will work for my particular method of operation, using lots of track before i pare down. if any of you can enlighten me on what factors other than processor speed and amount of ram are contributing factors i loved to hear from you. both machine are never on the internet and i don't use them for ANYTHING other than audio recording and running band in a box. my present systems are as follows...
dell inspiron. user installed windows 7 home premium 32 bit, pent 4 3.40ghz, 1 gb ram running sonar 8.5
sony vaio pcv rx690g, factory installed xp home, 2.20 ghz 512 ram running sonar 5.
thanx,
blu

7 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:my 10 yr old sony runs sonar better than my 5 yr old dell. why? 2010/12/21 18:03:53 (permalink)
    I would suspect installing Win 7 on the Inspiron is the problem.  If it's a 5 year old Inspiron it is not supported by Dell for Vista/Win 7 thus you are in "uncharted territory" with the old Dell.  1 GB of RAM is equivalent to having about 256MB of RAM in a 32 bit OS Windows XP system.  Win 7 OS requires more memory, thus what was adequate or "more than adequate" for XP is insufficient for Win 7.  1GB for Win 7 is barely only enough for the OS, let alone the PC system devices or applications software. 

New PC systems are mostly coming with Win 7 64 bit OS and a minimum of 6GB of RAM.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:my 10 yr old sony runs sonar better than my 5 yr old dell. why? 2010/12/21 19:47:28 (permalink)
    I don't know what it is about the Dell computers but I upgraded the OS on an older lappy and now I have to boot to VGA mode and then change after it's up and running to the higher rez mode....

It might be a similar issue with sound as well.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    fireberd
    Re:my 10 yr old sony runs sonar better than my 5 yr old dell. why? 2010/12/22 06:45:56 (permalink)
    Dell's require a specific install sequence and if not followed there can be problems.  In addition, because of Dell's custom implementation there can be problems if non-Dell drivers are installed for some of the hardware.  Upgrading many older systems can be troublesome as Dell does not support (have drivers) upgraded OS' on many models - like any other PC manufacturer Dell is in the business of selling new PC's. 

The specific manual install sequence for most Dell's  - (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop or Laptop System Software (3) Install Motherboard Chipset Drivers (4) Install device drivers such as sound, video, ethernet, etc.   I do a lot of support on the Dell users forum and the biggest issue is the chipset drivers are skipped when users install and the chipset drivers are key to a successful installation.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Chris S
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re:my 10 yr old sony runs sonar better than my 5 yr old dell. why? 2010/12/22 20:40:04 (permalink)
    fireberd

Dell's require a specific install sequence and if not followed there can be problems.  In addition, because of Dell's custom implementation there can be problems if non-Dell drivers are installed for some of the hardware.  Upgrading many older systems can be troublesome as Dell does not support (have drivers) upgraded OS' on many models - like any other PC manufacturer Dell is in the business of selling new PC's. 

The specific manual install sequence for most Dell's  - (1) Install Windows (2) Install Dell Desktop or Laptop System Software (3) Install Motherboard Chipset Drivers (4) Install device drivers such as sound, video, ethernet, etc.   I do a lot of support on the Dell users forum and the biggest issue is the chipset drivers are skipped when users install and the chipset drivers are key to a successful installation.

But even building a system from scratch after a few years no new drivers on hardware.

Listen in
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:my 10 yr old sony runs sonar better than my 5 yr old dell. why? 2010/12/23 09:37:22 (permalink)
    Yep... I installed the upgrade OS and  it didn't boot to a high res screen... blank screen.  A call to Dell, No drivers available to solve the boot to a view problem.... only suggestion  coming from Dell tech support... boot to VGA mode first, then switch to a higher res view.

Fortunately this is not a lappy I use on a regular basis. It is a work machine that might get turned on one a month...and sometimes not even that often.

PITA.... but it works.   I feel an upgraded (new) work lappy coming probably later next year. I'm about to exceed the OS limitations on the next version of software that's sure to be out soon.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/12/23 09:39:53

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    pianojoe88
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:my 10 yr old sony runs sonar better than my 5 yr old dell. why? 2011/01/08 00:58:19 (permalink)
    Sorry to take you off track on your problem but I have one and you seem pretty knowlegable and maybe you can help me.  I started running Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 on and old IBM Thinkpad some years ago.  When I installed it the MPU drivers also installed and it ran perfectly.  That old friend died so I installed it on my new Dell laptop but the MPU drivers were not installed.  I know they are old drivers and probably not around anymore.   Can you tell me what new drivers I should download to get me up and running?  I really need help on this and I would greatly appriciate any advise you can give me.  Thanks in advance,
    Joe
    joepetrone@bellsouth.net
    fireberd
    Re:my 10 yr old sony runs sonar better than my 5 yr old dell. why? 2011/01/08 07:28:31 (permalink)
    MPU is an old sound card type and probably not Win 7 compatible.  If the sound in the Dell (what model Dell and OS do you have?) is not ASIO compliant you can try ASIO4ALL and that may allow it to work with your recording program.  If not, you need to upgrade to a current (and compatible) recording program. 

Old hardware and software does not always work or work well with a modern PC and it's new technology hardware and software.   The "old reliable" generally has to be replaced.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1