Best NI library/instrument to complement Komplete 7?

Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2010/12/22 14:18:52 (permalink)

Best NI library/instrument to complement Komplete 7?

I have Komplete 7, with the $60 voucher and another $30 voucher which I need to use before 31 Dec.  I am wondering which sample library or instrument to buy, with the goal of making "real band" music, focusing on post-punk and afrobeat.  No synthy sounds, please.

One option is Abbey Road 70s, 80s, or Modern Drums, to complement the 60s drums which come with Komplete.  For post-punk, 80s Drums seems like an obvious choice.  However, Komplete 7's Battery 3 also has a bunch of drums, and so does the Kontakt 4 library.  So maybe a second Abbey Roads kit is overkill.

What other libraries would you recommend for making realistic band sounds, filling gaps in Komplete 7?

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

4 Replies Related Threads

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Best NI library/instrument to complement Komplete 7? 2010/12/22 16:07:33 (permalink)
    Scarbee Pre and/or Jay bass would extend your range of bass guitar sounds.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Tripecac
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1702
    Re:Best NI library/instrument to complement Komplete 7? 2010/12/22 16:32:27 (permalink)
    I find the Scarbee MM-Bass included in Komplete 7 harder to use than the bass sounds included in Kontakt.  The main thing is figuring out how to apply chorus.  Does the Scarbee Pre have the same issue?

tripecac.com
    Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
    Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

edrummist
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:Best NI library/instrument to complement Komplete 7? 2010/12/23 02:21:51 (permalink)
    Scarbee has some great sounding and playing great bass libraries and scripting, but it's my understanding that some of the older Scarbee libraries don't have as many round robins as some of the more modern KONTAKT libraries. That might not sound that important until you find yourself doing an 8th note pattern where the bass stays on the same note for a measure or two, then you'll find out it is critical to attaining a sense of authenticity in your production.

As for Abbey Road Drums, I think the entire line sounds great; if, based on the demos, one of those fits the sound your after -- pick it up! They're excellent, imo. Alicia Key's Piano is also very nice.
    post edited by edrummist - 2010/12/23 11:09:17
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Best NI library/instrument to complement Komplete 7? 2010/12/23 05:48:30 (permalink)
    Tripecac

I find the Scarbee MM-Bass included in Komplete 7 harder to use than the bass sounds included in Kontakt.  The main thing is figuring out how to apply chorus.  Does the Scarbee Pre have the same issue?
    It not an issue, just a mattter of learning how powerful a set of tools you have and how to use them. The Scarbee basses do no have their own buit in chorus effect.  IMHO this is a good thing as it usually better to apply an external effect. Kontakt has a lot of effects, including chorus that you can insert into its mixer.

If you click on the output icon on Kontakt's toolbar you will see the mixer appear in the lower half of the GIU. Above the fader for the channel you are using you will see four pulldown boxes. These are four locations where you can insert effects. Here you will fnd chorus, and flangers and phasers, distortion, compresors, cabinet simulations etc, etc. Once you have inserted an effect double click on it to edit the parameters.

Or better still you can insert non Kontakt effects in the output channel of your DAW. If you want to be blown away just try putting you MM bass through Guitar Rig!

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1