MIDI files play strangely after exporting, using MC 5.

Author
A Crystal Shard
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/12/22 18:05:37 (permalink)

MIDI files play strangely after exporting, using MC 5.

I have made several songs with MIDI files I played on my Akai mpk49. They sound great in music creator 5.  When I export them, the song file will play fine for a while but then the notes I played as MIDI files will be played the wrong way, in the wrong order, or random chords will sound. These other sounds are picked up somewhere in the exporting process. I have exported tracks with MIDI before with no problem, this is a recent problem.  Can anyone help? Thanks.

7 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:MIDI files play strangely after exporting, using MC 5. 2010/12/22 19:13:28 (permalink)
    more info... sound card....memory, computer speed,

Are you playing them as midi files or are you converting them to audio?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    A Crystal Shard
    Re:MIDI files play strangely after exporting, using MC 5. 2010/12/22 19:27:40 (permalink)
    2.8 GHz, 2.5 GB RAM and a Sigma Tel HD CODEC.

I played the tracks as MIDI files, and am now trying to export them to an audio file.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:MIDI files play strangely after exporting, using MC 5. 2010/12/22 22:22:07 (permalink)
    the Akai mpk49 is a controller, not a keyboard - what are you using for the OUTPUT of your MIDI tracks in your project?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    A Crystal Shard
    Re:MIDI files play strangely after exporting, using MC 5. 2010/12/23 01:48:26 (permalink)
    The melody line is what I'm having trouble with, and its input is: all inputs-midi omni, and the ouput is: SigmaTel Audio.  The bass line is also a midi file with the same input and output but is exporting fine. 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:MIDI files play strangely after exporting, using MC 5. 2010/12/23 07:30:54 (permalink)
    sorry, but something doesn't make sense.  MIDI tracks can't output directly to the soundcard, they need a synth to output to - either a hardware synth or softsynth.  you can output to MS GS wavetable if you're not using a VSTi/DXi softsynth (wavetable is a microsoft softsynth embedded in windows), but you can't output directly to the soundcard unless it has an embedded synth in it (like soundblasters do).

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:MIDI files play strangely after exporting, using MC 5. 2010/12/23 08:43:02 (permalink)
    that was confusing me too. I'm suspecting the faulty playback is a result of the card.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:MIDI files play strangely after exporting, using MC 5. 2010/12/23 11:05:26 (permalink)
    I had a problem once where some notes were being missed. They would play fine if I solo's them but when multiple midi's were being played back thru the TTS-1, some of the notes would just not get played. Found out that I had been using the default polyphony which was something like 32 or 48. I bumped that up to 96 and all was well. I had to recently bump the settings up on a song I've been working on to 128 and I seem to be max-ing that out as well. Time to insert a second instance of TTS.

I have a feeling that you have similar problems. We need to know what you are using to play back your Midi files. ( What soft-synth are you using ) if you are not sure, you may be using the default GS which only works with the onboard sound card.  If you are using another soft synth, you'll need to check the settings. It also sounds like you are most likely having issues with your sound card settings. You can try to adjust the latency controls and buffer settings to try and correct this. Try moving the Latency control to the Safe side (increased latency) and see if that improves things.

You will find that most people here have invested in a prosumer sound interface for these reasons and you may have to seriously consider going this route as well to fix many of these types of issues. Check Beagle's website for recommendations ( In his signature above - Beagle Sound Productions).

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1