Author
mario
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 140
2010/12/23 08:19:53 (permalink)

I7 System: High pitch sound picked by guitar PUs

Hi,

I'm having this annoying problem and I am wondering if is to be
expected or if I really need to find the source.

My system is based on a I7, a Gigabyte UD-3R board,3 drives (1 SSD, 2 regular ones),
an Antec Elited case and a Zotac GT240 fanless souncard.

I'm currently a prolem where my guitars humbucker pickups are generate a pitch sound
when I am getting close to my desktop (which is most of the tiime since it sits right in
front of my legs under the table.

The volume gets higher when I bring the closer to the desktop but the pitch doesn't change.

The desktop is located exactly when my old (2004) used to be.

there is something else really strange happening but I am first curious to see if other are experiencing
a similar thing; I'll describe the other stranger behavior a little later.

Note: In this scenario theguitar goes straignth into the amp. (The sound card is not in the pathc).

Thank you for any comment/feedback you may have.

Mario

sound

9 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:I7 System: High pitch sound picked by guitar PUs 2010/12/23 09:28:38 (permalink)
    All computers generate RF noise.... and the guitar is picking it up. The closer you get to the magnetic field, the stronger the signal, the louder it becomes.

My old  (first DAW) had a big old 19" CRT monitor. I had to stay 5 feet or more from it to avoid picking up hum from that thing.

The traditional hum that we associate with amps (when you touch the tip of the guitar cord) is a 60hz hum. From what you say, it is much higher in pitch. Possibly coming from the power supply in the computer, or one of the components that is radiating a large magnetic field.

The immediate solution is to stay further back from the computer box when recording. Use auto punch to allow time for you to back off to a "quiet distance" before the recording starts.

The longer term solution is to find and replace the offending part. Monitors are bad for radiating magnetic fields, especially the old tube types. the new flat screens not so much. If it's not the monitor, the next thing I would suspect would be the power supply. Even if it's new.

Did you build this system or buy is ready to go? If you built it... the power supply might be the problem if it's a cheaper unit or poorly designed..... swap it out to a different one if you have one handy. (or pick up a top of the line better one from a store with a 100% return refund guarantee)  I'm thinking if it's a cheaper built supply the filtering on it might not be as robust as it needs to be and could be "leaking" the noise directly into the computer or radiating it as a magnetic field..... neither of which would bother 99.9% of the computer users who would use it to cruise the net or do word processing.... but music recording is another issue altogether.

Hope this helps you.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/12/23 09:32:11

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mario
    Re:I7 System: High pitch sound picked by guitar PUs 2010/12/23 13:00:40 (permalink)
    Thank you for the note; don't worry I know about CRT's....:)

I'll admit that the Power Supply didn't come to mind a potential
    magnetic field source; my PC is a custom build and I am using an
    Antec TruePower New TP-650 power supply (I don't consider this
    one as being a cheap component - but any HW can go bad).

But here is an interesting thing; the hign pitch sound only appears
    under the following circumstances.

a) During the power up sequence (the power supply is active) there
        is no issue.

b) When Windows starts there is still no problem
    c) When windows is up and running there is still no problem

AND NOW the really confusing part:

d) as soon as I lauch S8.5 the high pitch sound appears; and the
        pitch change slightly when I move the window around my two
        monitors.

The same thing happens when I sart goldwave (an audio editor
        software) an Jammer (a midi only sofware).

But this is not seen if I open Explorer, Windows Media Player,
        or file folders.

I have the same problem when launching S7 on my 32bit XP
        partition.

Weeeeird! I understand the power supply but the problem would
    appear as soon as I power up (at early enought) the machine.mmmm.

Pffff....PC can be a real waste of time sometimes.

Mario

jayson
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 367
    Re:I7 System: High pitch sound picked by guitar PUs 2010/12/23 23:26:34 (permalink)
    I used to have a similar issue and found using an isolator between my soundcard out to monitor in solved my problem.  Here's the unit I used:

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=90&cat=13&id=106

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

jayson
    mario
    Re:I7 System: High pitch sound picked by guitar PUs 2010/12/24 10:22:34 (permalink)
    Tyson,

Considering that on the GA UD3R board the PCIe and PCI slots are close together I
    wask concerned with the effect of the video card on the soundcard.

I almost have to rule it out because I don't ear it in my monitoring system and headphone when my guitar is not plugged in; also, this sound is not present in my
    recordings when I capture sounds from mics going thru an outboard mxier in my
    Delta 1010LT.

When I posted my question I was wondering about the system, even though it doesn't
    seem to make sense, but the Power Supply scenarioseems more plausible.

Taking the same guitar/Amp/chord I went back to my previoius PC (old, lower wattage PS) and I don't have the problem (on this system I am using a Matrox video card.

rrrrrr...Antec's Sonate Elite case are a pain because I will have to remove everything to
    remove the PS........shoooooootttt.

Mario

Guitarhacker
    Re:I7 System: High pitch sound picked by guitar PUs 2010/12/24 16:54:07 (permalink)
    Since you have a decent power supply that is likely OK....

What kind of mouse are you using? Is it a wireless mouse?  I have heard of some folks using wireless mice and having RF get into the audio path as a high pitched wining sound.

BMI/NSAI

mario
    Re:I7 System: (update) High pitch sound picked by guitar PUs 2010/12/24 17:02:03 (permalink)
    I think I have finally isolated the problem.

After going over the feedback section in Newegg.ca I ran into a post that mentionned my problem almost word for word; a broken coil was the problem.

Well after putting my ear straight on the PSU I can confirm that I ear the same high pitch frequency as well as other clicking noise that my guitars's PUs pick up; it finally a recent problem that is slowly getting worst.

I can't get away from it...I'll have to take it out.....rrrrrrrr!

Thank you for the info anyway

Mario

Guitarhacker
    Re:I7 System: (update) High pitch sound picked by guitar PUs 2010/12/25 10:13:50 (permalink)
    So it was a problem in the power supply? Defective parts....

Glad you found it.... that kind of stuff will drive you nuts.

BMI/NSAI

mario
    Re:I7 System: (update) High pitch sound picked by guitar PUs 2010/12/27 16:51:13 (permalink)
    I will officially know only when the PSU will be replaced but I'm pretty that's it.

My wireless mouse is noisy indeed but it generated different high requencies
    and you have to bring the mouse about an inch from the guitar PUs from them
    to pickup the frequencies.

Since your comment was "decent power" I'm curious to see what you would classified
    a good to excellent PSU? There is a limit but money is not an issue.

So I need power for this:

I7 930 Core (not overclocked)
    GA UD3R X58a Mobo
    6G Corsair RAM 1333 overclock to 1600Hz
    3   WD Black Cavier drives (2x750Gb, 1x1Tb)
    1   WD SSD 120Gb drive
    1   3rd party cooling fan (I have a blank as for the brand)
    1   Zotac GT240 fanless x16 PIe video card
    1   DVD/DC R/W
    1   Delta 1010LT Sound card.

My previous case/PSU was an Antec Sonata and I never had
    a problem with it.

But HW is HW, and like many other stuff made in China (I can't resist making
    the comment), you never know when you will ick the bad pack in th bunch.

Note: In the end, it is not the price that bothers me; it all the stuff I have to remove
              to make the change hat annoys me.

M

mario
    (still not resolved) I7 System: High pitch sound picked by guitar PUs 2011/01/05 10:36:34 (permalink)
    Hi,

(I know what follows is lenghtly but I have already tried many things to figure out the source of the problem)

I described this problem a couple of weeks ago but after swapping the PSU, buying a USB Mouse/keyboard to remove the "wireless" out of the picture, by leaving only my SSD drive connected (W7 Pro 64 bit), my Zelman cpu fan, an my Zotac GT240 fanless video ard (which moved to a PCIe 8x slot away from the 16x slot) I still have a High Pitch/RF "whistle" generated by my currently barebone PC when I open Sonar8.5; I also had the problem with S7 running them both on my XP Pro and W7 Pro OS.

Note 1: My new PSU is currently sitting outside the case
             2: I can confirm that the heatsink fan has nothing to do with since I have detached it from the heatsink (no suprises here)

I'm using a GA X58a-UDR3 mobo, with an Antec TP650 PSU and 3 OFZ RAM sticks (3x2G); I had to slightly overclock the RAM clock to run them at 1600MHz using the data from OFZ support team.

Note 1: My new PSU is currently sitting outside the case
             2: I can confirm that the heatsink fan has nothing to do with since I have detached it from the heatsink (no suprises here)

This high pitch/RF "whistle" has a constant pitch, appears when I start audio apps like S8.5, Goldwave (wave editor), Windows Media player, Jammer (a sw that only handles midi data) but it doesn't appear when I start HalBar, another audio related app.

Note: The audio card is no longer connecter, nor is it in the case; I have disabled the on-board audio and I have disconnected
              the cable connecting the case front audio connector.

I tried my 2 LCD monitors in a single mode on each video port (this means 4 tests);

My mobo FW is up-to-date (FB-it was at FA when I got it) and I am not overclocking the CPU clock.

I ear the whistle in 2 places:

a) In the area on the left side of the CPU just above the PCIe slots; for those of you that uses the UDR3 The whistle fades
        away when I move my ear toward the PCI slot or towards the front of the board where the sata connectors are located.
    b) Inside the PSU case; we are talking about the exact same "whistle".

I'm really lost as I can't figure out, considering that I have already swap it, if it is the PSU that triggers what I ear inside the
    case or if it is something on the board that causes the whistle on inside the PSU.

So 1: Has anybody, particularly users of Gigabyte mobo heard of a faulty board generating a RF signal? My previous PC is 8
              years old so I don't know "what is normal" now-a-days.

2: I should have swap my PSU with another brand (any suggestions) but I was so sure I had a faulty PSU I decide to
              buy the same model has I never problem with Antec hardware in the past.

3: Has anybody heard modern video cards having problems?

I know some of the questions I ask appear totally "stupid/impossible" but none of this makes sense anyway so I don't know
    what to think anymore.

Shoot your comments/suggestions....I'll take everything I can get.

Mario

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1