Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface..

Author
Su1c0c1dE
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2010/12/24 10:25:00 (permalink)

Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface..

Hello All,

Was wondring if anyone uses the R24 as an audio interface with Sonar 8.5 Producer. According to Zoom, the R24 will be 8 Ins / 2 Outs, but after I installed the latest drivers, and choose the device in Sonar, I only see it as 4 Ins / 1 Out.

Was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing if they're using this unit as an inteface...

22 Replies Related Threads

Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2010/12/24 16:33:09 (permalink)
    I am using Zoom R24 64 drivers with X1A hot patch.  After you connect to your R24, your X1 audio inputs will show four groups of Left, Right, and Stereo.  If you plug a microphone into your R24 #1, 3, 5, 7 inputs, they will be the the Left inputs of all four groups.  If you use Zoom inputs 2, 4, 6, 8, they will be the Right channels of all four groups. 
    Su1c0c1dE
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2010/12/24 17:32:56 (permalink)
    Rimshot,

I see what you're saying, thanks for the info, I will have to go back recheck what I see as available channels for the drivers. It maybe a little bit different, since I haven't really opened up X1 yet even though I have it installed.  I've been trying to get used to 8.5 Producer first...

But do you actually see options for 8 inputs / 2 outputs in X1?

Or is there another ASIO driver I need to get from zoom..

Thanks again...
    Rimshot
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2010/12/24 18:36:03 (permalink)
    You will have the input options I described earlier on both 8.5.3 and X1 including stereo out.  Get the latest 1.3 driver from Zoom just to stay updated.  When you install the Zoom drivers, there are two options: 1 for Windows install and one for Sonar.  Do the Windows install first, then Sonar.  Then plug in the Zoom and launch Sonar. 
    Jonesboy
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/01/01 19:57:35 (permalink)
    The problem is not being able to see all 8 inputs & 2 outputs. I had the same issue and finally found that I had not selected the Zoom driver in the 'Playback Timing Master' (see under: Preferences/Driver Settings).

To quote from Cakewalk Support:
    "On the general tab:
    Make sure one of your Line 6 card drivers is selected as Playback Timing master.  Click OK.  Restart the program."

So I selected it, rebooted Sonar and Presto away she went. I now have all inputs and outputs available.

Good luck.
    Jonesboy
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/01/01 19:59:24 (permalink)
    Sorry, in the previous post I referred to the Cakewalk support info for Line 6 as there isn't any for support for Zoom - hence the oblique reference to Line 6.
    drjenk
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/01/01 20:09:41 (permalink)
    You definitely need to install the drivers from zoom.  They will be asio drivers.  Also there is a plugin to install which allows you to use it as a controller, it will prompt you to install this as well.

It does list "4" inputs, but they are left/right stereo pairs, but you do have the option to set the track to "left" or "right" or "l/r stereo", so you indeed have available to you 8 discrete inputs for recording.

Hope this helps.

David J.
    bikeridinbill
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/01 13:45:06 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but didn't see any option to post a new thread.  Anyway, I've got some pre-recorded tracks that I've imported into Sonar X1 Producer.  I need to have the bass player come over and re-record some of his tracks on a few songs, and I'd like to use the R24, if possible, to do that.  I've spent all night trying to copy the tracks from my computer into a new project on the R24, and that didn't seem to work.  Even though I can seem to listen to a single track in the R24, I can't get them all to play simultaneously, as I would need them to if I'm going to punch in a new bass line.  I tried hooking the R24 up as an Audio Interface too, but it doesn't seem to work, even though I think I followed the direction in the R24 manual correctly.

I must admit, I'm a super rookie when it comes to all this stuff, but I'd really like to just get it all hooked up so it's useable so I can try to start learning how to use it.

Can anyone walk me through this from a raw rube point of view, or is there a resource online that I can refer to?  You Tube provided no help that I could find, and most web sites just seem to be ads to sell the unit.  My bass player is supposed to come over next Tuesday at 9am, but the way it looks now, I'm going to have to cancel our appointment, unless I find some solutions.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated!

2 Intel Core2 CPU - 6700 @ 2.66GHz 2.00 GB RAM - Win XP Prof Ver. 2002 Service Pack 3 - Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Presonus Firestudio on VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller
    Rimshot
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/01 14:39:44 (permalink)
    You need to get the R24 working with X1.  Have you downloaded the 1.3 system update for the R24?  You need to do that before you try to use the R24 with X1.  Zoom recommends that you deleted the current drivers before you install the new ones.  Once 1.3 drivers are installed, attach your usb cable to the R24 and then put the R24 into the USB sync mode.  Then launch X1 and then make sure you are using the ASIO driver mode.  After this step, you should see the R24 input/outputs.  From there, you can have the bass player plug into the R24 and then setup an audio track with its input source the R24 using the correct channel. 
    Let me know how this goes for you.  I will be in/out of this forum from time thru this weekend. 

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    pbognar
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/01 16:42:17 (permalink)
    Rimshot

You need to get the R24 working with X1.  Have you downloaded the 1.3 system update for the R24?  You need to do that before you try to use the R24 with X1.  Zoom recommends that you deleted the current drivers before you install the new ones.  Once 1.3 drivers are installed, attach your usb cable to the R24 and then put the R24 into the USB sync mode.  Then launch X1 and then make sure you are using the ASIO driver mode.  After this step, you should see the R24 input/outputs.  From there, you can have the bass player plug into the R24 and then setup an audio track with its input source the R24 using the correct channel. 
    Let me know how this goes for you.  I will be in/out of this forum from time thru this weekend. 

Rimshot

Don't mean to hijack, but does the R16 work with X1 in the same way that the R24 does?
    Rimshot
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/01 18:04:47 (permalink)
    Pbognar,

Don't know if the R16 setup is the same as the R24 but from what I have read, I think it is.  Try my suggestions and see if it works for you.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    pbognar
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/01 18:10:20 (permalink)
    Rimshot

Pbognar,

Don't know if the R16 setup is the same as the R24 but from what I have read, I think it is.  Try my suggestions and see if it works for you.

There lies the rub - I have a line on a used one for $275.  BUT - I have a friend who would lend me his to try out.

I will report back.
    drjenk
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/01 23:37:02 (permalink)
    I think what you need to do, as rimshot said, is continue to build the project in X1, using the R24 in interface mode.  You indicated you copied the files from X1 to the R24, which it doesn't seem like you need to do.  You indicated you tried to use the R24 in interface mode but it didn't work.  As Rimshot said definitely make sure you  have installed the latest ASIO drivers, I've got 1.3 installed and they work fine.  Also, make sure you power on the R24, ensure the usb cable is plugged in and you've selected interface mode on the R24, BEFORE you start Sonar.  It will not work if you do it the other way around.  You'll need to restart Sonar or maybe even reboot your computer if you don't get that order right.
    Then go into the audio manager and make sure the R24 asio is selected.  I must confess right now I haven't used Sonar in months since switching to Reaper, or I'd be able to remember that, but the audio is in the preferences somewhere.  Just make sure the R24 is selected, you should not have any issues.

Or, you could, copy all the wavs over after putting the R24 in reader mode, but make sure you've initialized the SD card properly.  Create the project you want to contain the wav files on the R24 FIRST.  Then go into SD reader mode, and you'll see SD card as a drive in windows.  You should see the path Zoom_r24\Project\<name>\Audio.  Drag your files there.  Make sure your wav format you've set the project for, either 44/16 or 44/24, matches the media you're dragging into the R24 project folder.  You'd then go back to the R24 in standalone mode, make sure your tempo matches your original project, then select the files you want to associate to the tracks using the "track" button, the "file".  You'll browse for the file, and you can audition them before selection by pressing the play button.

Of course I still think at this point it would probably be easier to continue the project in X1 since it is already there.

Oh and I should add that you really should take the time to go through the pretty well written R24 manual and get your head around it's capabilities.  It really is a nice unit to get ideas down on, and even produce a full project if you want.  There are a couple bugs with punch in on it, which I am now helping beta test the next firmware release.  It seems very stable now, and I love using it to create loops to use the sequencer, really a efficient way to get ideas down IMO.  So I would suggest taking the time to really get familiar with it.

Hope this helps
    post edited by drjenk - 2011/07/01 23:43:09
    bikeridinbill
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/02 01:32:03 (permalink)
    Thanks you guys very much for your help.  I downloaded the latest R24 drivers last night, and they are version 1.5.  I will try to uninstall them (as suggested on their site & here), and then install the new onces, and try to connect as you guys have suggested.  Will report back after I see what happens.
    Thanks again!

2 Intel Core2 CPU - 6700 @ 2.66GHz 2.00 GB RAM - Win XP Prof Ver. 2002 Service Pack 3 - Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Presonus Firestudio on VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller
    bikeridinbill
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/02 02:21:18 (permalink)
    Ok, I uninstalled the old drivers and installed the new 1.5 R24 drivers.  Put the R24 in USB mode as directed and hooked up to computer... which saw the new hardware and installed it.  I then started Sonar X1 Producer, and loaded up the tracks from one of the tunes in our recording project.  So far, all good.
    Next, I went into
    After switching to ASIO mode, I got an error window titled "Missing Audio Outputs".  The messages reads as follows:  The following audio output devices used by this project are not available.  You may reassign them to any other available device, or click OK to accept the default assignments below.  Click CANCEL to retain the original output assignment. (These outputs will remain silent until reassigned to an available output)
    Below that is a title and two sets of categories... the title is "Reassign missing Audio Output Devices"
    In the left column under Missing Devices, my sound card is listed as "SB X-Fi Audio [CF00] 1/2", and under Available Devices, it says "Creative ASIO Front L/R
    I clicked OK to assign to the latter.  Hope I did the right thing.  I noticed that in the Driver Settings under Preferences, I now see under Playback Timing Master - "1: Creative ASIO Front L/R" and under Record Timing Master - "1: Creative ASIO Windows Record L".  The audio Driver Bit Depth, which was 24, is now grayed out, so I'm thinking perhaps I did something wrong.

bikeridinbill
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/02 02:33:54 (permalink)
    As a side note, every time I try to select ASIO mode, my R24 drivers get replaced by my SB X Fi drivers and the R24 drivers are grayed out and unchecked.  However, in MME or in WDM mode, both sets of drivers are enabled and checked under devices.  Additionally, under Driver Settings, the Playback Timing Master and Record Timing Master both show the SB X-Fi Audio, but also have the R24 listed as a choice, when MME or WDM modes are selected.  However, under ASIO, only the SB X-Fi Audio in available.  What am I doing wrong guys, and why is my setup so contrary to what your experiences are?  Oh, I should mention that 24 bit, 48kHz is again operable under the WDM and MME modes.

bikeridinbill
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/02 03:26:06 (permalink)
    Ok, I got into USB sync and noticed the default sample rate changed on the R24 from 44.1 to 48, which is, I assume, some progress.  My recording project wav files are 24 bit & 48kHz and are all loaded into Sonar X1.
    I can now play all, or solo the individual tracks, which I see led levels for on the Master channel on the R24.  I added a new audio track in Sonar, in the Track 1 slot, and hooked up a Shure SM57 to the corresponding track on the R24.  I set the R24 Audio Interface to REC, and also set Track 1 to record in Sonar, and clicked on the Record button in the transport, and tried to lay down some random chatter just to see if I was getting any signal through to Sonar.  Though it appeared to work, nothing was actually recorded, but an empty sine wav box did appear.  I feel like I'm getting closer, but still no cigar.  Man, do I feel lame.  Who knew it would be so difficult to get this thing working.  I still have nightmares over the 1 Presonus Firepod & the 2 Presonus Firestudio Projects that I never could get to work, after hundreds of dollars of investment in them.  What a disappointment.  I'm hoping to fare much better this time around.
    Color me "Fingers Crossed".

Rimshot
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/02 09:36:59 (permalink)

After you put the R24 in USB Sync mode, it should be set for a sample rate of 44.1khz.  Launch X1 and your under Preferences, your Device should be the R24.  Your Driver Settings for playback and record should point to the R24.  Playback and recording shuold be set to ASIO. 

Then pick an audio track and at the Input, select one of the channels of the R24.  I you are using the first channel on the R24 with a microphone, you would select the first Left Zoom R24 item at the top of the list.  The R24 at this point does not have to be in record mode with the light on as you will be recordiing in X1. 

post edited by Rimshot - 2011/07/02 09:46:51

Rimshot 

bikeridinbill
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/02 21:23:59 (permalink)
    Hey Rimshot... thanks for your help first off!

Ok, here's what's happening.  When first setting the R24 to USB Audio Interface (Sync) mode, it IS set for 44.1kHz.  However, my project is set to 48kHz 24 bit, so once I start Sonar X1, the R24 then displays 48kHz in the display window.

Ok, next, I have some confusion over what goes where....

In the Preferences menu, under AUDIO... I have three sub-menus... Devices... Driver Settings... & Playback and Recording.

Under DEVICES... I show different option, depending on what is selected under Playback and Recording.  When MME (32 bit) is selected for DRIVER MODE, I have both the R24 & the Creative SB drivers listed.  If I check the latter only, I can hear the other tracks, AND record on Track 1 thru the R24, however, the sound is distorted and there is a delay between the time I speak, and the time I hear what I said, in the headphones.  However, I spoke in time to the beat, and in playing back later, it appears that the timing is correct in the playback... just not when I'm recording.  I'm thinkin' that's going to make it tough, if the bass player cannot hear his notes in the correct timing with the music as he records.

If I check both the R24 AND the Creative SB drivers under DEVICES, then I have playback and an active mic channel, but no sound is recorded, AND no delay either... simultaneous sound from the mic, but no led response, and nothing records.

When setting the DRIVER MODE (under Playback and Recording) to ASIO, all the drivers for the R24 are grayed out, and unchecked, and only the Creative ASIO drivers can be chosen.  The R24 drivers are present in the list, but cannot be selected when the DRIVER MODE is set to ASIO.

When I set the DRIVER mode to WDM and selected the R24 & Creative SB drivers all around, the pre-recorded tracks in Sonar would play, but with lots of crackle, and the audio was slowed down drastically.  Then I unselected the Creative SB drivers, the just selected the R24 drivers, Sonar X1 crashed (2nd time it has done so).

So, not sure what the next move is.  Know anything about ASIO4ALL?  Don't know anything about it... just noticed it in a search for answers about ASIO in my browser.

Thanks again for your help!

However, when set to

Rimshot
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface.. 2011/07/03 08:50:32 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Completely disable the SB driver from your system.  Launch X1 and start a new project at 44.1 KHZ.  Select the R24 drivers and see if you can record one audio track without a problem.  Here's a link to the R24 guide if you don't already have it:

R24 User Manual

Rimshot 

BeGroovEye
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface: lost fader control R24 to Sonar X2a 2014/10/16 21:49:07 (permalink)
    I have had consistent success using the Zoom R24, both as an audio interface and as a control surface with a couple of versions of Sonar (8.5 and X2); both on an older machine running XP and my new, home-brew core i7 machine running windows 8.1.

However, about a month ago, only one feature of the Zoom R24 stopped working with Sonar; the faders no longer control the on-screen faders of Sonar X2 (X2a 64 bit to be exact...the patch has been installed).  The faders in Sonar do not respond to faders of the Zoom R24.

The Zoom R24 still works perfectly as an audio interface.  The solo/mute/record buttons all work fine.  The transport controls and jog wheel work perfectly.  The only aspect missing is fader control.

I tried using the Zoom R24 with Reaper, and the fader controls work perfectly with Reaper; also every other control works perfectly with Reaper and the Zoom R24.

Here are the steps I have taken trying to fix the problem:

1. Uninstalled Sonar completely, shut down, restarted, reinstalled Sonar (TWICE!)
    2. Uninstalled Zoom R24 driver, (the latest 64 bit version), shut down and reinstalled (twice, both times checking the Sonar checkbox)
    3. "Repaired" windows 8.1 with the installation disk (not sure what I did here, but it was NOT a complete reinstall of windows; no damage done, I don't think)
    3. Read everything I could find online about this problem; I was unsuccessful in finding anything about loss of fader control

The fact that R24 faders successfully control Reaper, and that Sonar faders do not respond to R24 faders, seem to indicate that Sonar is at fault.  (I do not use Reaper, but installed it to test the Zoom R24).  (BTW, all other control functions of the R24 work fine with Reaper as well.)

When reinstalling Sonar, I did try to get the faders to respond to the R24, before and after installing the X2a patch; no success; faders did not respond in either case.

I've been using Cakewalk since 1998, from Guitar Tracks (as a beta tester), pro audio and now Sonar.  Every problem with Sonar, I was able to find something in a forum somewhere that helped me solve it.  This is the first time I have not seen a similar problem online.  I really could use help on this, please!

I love the ability to draw volume, pan and other controllers with the physical fader on the R24, and I'm bummed now that I cannot.  Budget won't allow any purchases right now (of another controller, for example).

I would love to hear your feedback.  Thank you!

BeGroovEye
    Asrock Z87 extreme4 (onboard Realtek audio interface, latest drivers)
    Intel core i7 3.5 ghz (not overclocked)
    Windows 8.1 (purchased at MicroCenter)
    8 gb ram
    seagate 2tb hdd
    Zoom R24
    M-Audio Oxygen 8
    Motu Fastlane midi interface
    Tripp Lite isobar ultra x4

BeGroovEye
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface: lost fader control R24 to Sonar X2a 2014/10/16 21:50:59 (permalink)
    BTW windows 8.1 64 bit
    BeGroovEye
    Re:Using Zoom R24 as Audio Interface: lost fader control R24 to Sonar X2a 2017/05/23 03:17:09 (permalink)
    Upgrading to Windows 10 fixed everything.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1