Can't hear anything while recording

Author
Aragorn
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/12/27 13:17:18 (permalink)

Can't hear anything while recording

I previously had Cakewalk ProAudio 9 working just fine.  I upgraded to Home Studio 7.  I was hearing a terrible echo while recording (about a 1/4 second delay), so I turned Input Echo off.  But now I hear nothing while recording.  Also, I'm hearing a weird doubling of whatever instrument is playing during playback.   I've got a Kurzweil PC88mx connected via a USB MIDI cable to my PC.  And I've got a soundcard playing audio out to a speaker.  I've also got the PC88mx connected via audio out to a speaker.

Sorry - could someone point me in the right direction?  Thanks!

17 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/27 14:40:01 (permalink)
    are you using your onboard soundcard?  if so, try switching to WASAPI driver mode if it's available.  if it's not, download and install ASIO4ALL and then change to ASIO driver mode.

and turn the input echo back on if you need to monitor from SHS. 

my best solution, however, is to buy a "recording" soundcard.  check my website for recommendations.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Aragorn
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/27 17:16:17 (permalink)
    Yo Beagle,
    That did the trick.  Thank you very much. :)  I checked out your site.  Sadly I have Windows 7, so I'm not sure if any of those cards will work given your disclaimer re: Vista.  I'll do a bit more research.  Again - THANK YOU!!
    Aragorn :) :) 
    Beagle
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/27 22:42:57 (permalink)
    Vista and Win7 are different beasts.  the M-audio drivers for vista were crap.  but they did a much better job with Win7 drivers.  some of the other soundcards will work with vista, however.

paulclaro
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 236
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/28 09:58:17 (permalink)
    Could still use a little help. I have a laptop with win7, shs7xl, using onboard soundcard. My issue is hearing my guitar while recording.  I'm using a Behringer UCG102 guitar link. It has input for guitar and headphones. I am not hearing my headphones at all through the link. When I playback what I recorded I can only hear it if I plug my headphones directly into the PC. I've tried switching to WASAPI driver mode and it still didn't work. I'm still gonna try fiddling around with the WASAPI driver mode. I'm still a llittle new to this so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any tips would be appreciated.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/28 11:44:43 (permalink)
    It has input for guitar and headphones. I am not hearing my headphones at all through the link.

Under Options>Audio, set the Playback Timing Master to the guitarlink. Maybe that will help.
    Then start thinking about which audio interface designed for recording you want next Christmas.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    paulclaro
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/28 14:17:51 (permalink)
    Finally figured ity out. Got sound coming out of the headphones. Had to set the driver mode to WDM. The only problem I have now is Latency. Got lots. Can anyone help me out here?
    paulclaro
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/28 14:41:25 (permalink)
    Hey Beagle, that "Echo On" Advice did the trick. Also, the only way that I heard stereo through the speakers is setting the interleave to Mono. Kinda puzzled on this one, but at least it works. If I can only fix the latency, I'd be good to go. Well almost. Still trying to figure out how to add studio instruments to my music. Oh and I ordered a CAD U37 Condensor mic. I'm hoping that solves the vocal recording problem. Any more advice would be great. Friggin' Latency stinks.
    Beagle
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/28 17:47:52 (permalink)
    Paul, buddy, I have to say you're making bad choices!  the latency will not get any better by buying a USB microphone!

you don't want separate USB components (UCG-102 and U37 are separate soundcards!)  you're going to have absolutely horrible latency and even worse time trying to get all 3 components to work together at the same time (USB mic, USB guitar port, onboard soundcard).

your BEST bet is to sell that UCG-102 on ebay, return the U37 before even opening it or just refusing the shipment and then buy a good RECORDING soundcard and TRADITIONAL mic. 

look at my website, I have soundcard and mic recommendations there.  and you'll notice on the MIC recommendation page it says "DON'T BUY A USB MIC!"

you might be able to resolve latency problems with the UCG-102 if you download and install ASIO4ALL then switch to ASIO driver mode.  but then you will NOT be able to use your onboard soundcard from SHS - you will be able to use the headphone port on the UCG-102 ONLY.

also, you CANNOT use ASIO4ALL with the USB mic.  typically MME driver mode is the only one that works with USB mics.  and then you have extremely bad latency.

paulclaro
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/30 11:51:38 (permalink)
    Well I fixed the latency on the guitar track by changing the buffer. TheUCG102 Guitar to USB interface seems to be working ok. I'm not able to use asio but I have the driver mode in WDM. Asio doesn't seem to work and it took me quite a while to figure out how to get proper sound out of the guitar and out of the headphones plugged into the UC Like I said, I'm pretty new to this. Playback with my headphones which I have plugged into the UCG102 is good, Only problem here is that I can't hear playback through the onboard speakers of my laptop. I have a pretty good traditional mic that I tried plugging into the input on the UCG it doesn't sound that bad, pretty good actually. I'm going to be recording pretty much solo so I can record the tracks seperatly. I cancelled my order for the mic, I'm not looking for any more problems. I assumed this was going to be simple. As far as the Recording Soundcard; I'm going to look into it. I'm not looking to spend allot. I'm to the point where I would gladly pay someone to hook this sucker up. I didn't forsee so much complication. When I bought the SHS I thought it was pretty much plug and play. Thanks for your help, any other advice would be appreciated.

paulclaro
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/30 11:57:25 (permalink)
    In regard to the soundcard: I'm not really sure I would know how to install it.

57Gregy
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/30 12:04:04 (permalink)
    When I bought the SHS I thought it was pretty much plug and play

In most cases, it is. The program almost always works the first time you load it. Then you hit hardware hurdles, like slow, inefficient stock sound cards. That doesn't mean the program doesn't work; it's just that for best performance, you need better performing hardware.
    I went a couple years using my stock sound card, and struggled with latency and dropouts. Upgraded that hardware device (2 times, actually) and the recording experience improved dramatically. 

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

paulclaro
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/30 12:16:38 (permalink)
    I have a lap top and as I said I'm not too hardware savvy. is a soundcard difficult to install?
    Win7/64 bit.
    57Gregy
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/30 13:05:28 (permalink)
    If you have a free USB or FireWire port, all it takes is to connect it and install the latest drivers for your system.
    A good USB device can be had for ~$100. Beagle has some suggestions at his web site. Many of us also have our hardware listed in our signatures, so if you see lots of folks using M-Audio of Focusrite interfaces, most likely one of them will work for you, too.

Greg 

Beagle
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/30 13:25:46 (permalink)
    right - you don't have to open the laptop!  just plug a USB soundcard into your laptop.  it is SIMILAR to the UCG102, but different in that it will be what you need for microphone AND guitar.

look at my website like greg suggested.  I've got some USB soundcard recommendations there.  I"m also in the process of updating that list that I haven't updated in a couple of years, actually.

paulclaro
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/30 14:31:34 (permalink)
    Cool, you guys have been a tremendous help. I'm not seeing usb soundcards though. Could you possibly provide a link to one that might be appropriate. I'm looking for 2-maybe 3 inputs. Guitar, mic, headphones. I don't want to make a mistake here like I did with the mic I ordered.
    paulclaro
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/30 14:38:34 (permalink)
     I see an M-audio fastrack. How do you think this one would do?

http://www.m-audio.com/pr..ts/en_us/FastTrack.html
    Beagle
    Re:Can't hear anything while recording 2010/12/30 17:18:55 (permalink)
    yes, the m-audio fast track is an excellent USB soundcard.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1