Audio-Technical AT-LP2D-USB Turntable Audio Creator LE Line / Mic Input on Windows 7

Author
gliebisch
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/12/27 15:57:47 (permalink)

Audio-Technical AT-LP2D-USB Turntable Audio Creator LE Line / Mic Input on Windows 7

I thought I would post this issue on this forum not because the Cakewalk folks can do anything about it, but only because it is the most likely forum for questions to come up about this issue, as the Audio-Technica USB turntable is packaged with Audio Creator LE.

In my prior Windows XP installation of Audio Creator LE 1.02, the Audio Technica USB Turnable AT-LP2D would invoke a generic USB Audio driver (i.e. not driver was packaged with the turntable).  That driver, dated 7/1/2001 and version 5.1.2535, had a "property" tab that allowed the user to select "Use Line Level input features on this device".  It worked like a charm, and was truly plug n play in the sense that the levels worked out perfectly for the proper input to Audio Creator LE.

In my new Windows 7 installation, however, the generic USB audio driver that loads, dated 7/13/2009, version 6.1.7600.16385, does NOT have a line level property.  Therefore only a MICROPHONE LEVEL input appears as a USB input audio source.  In the analog world, this would be a severely overdriven input, however, in the digital world it creates severe digital clipping.  The only workaround I have found, is to go into Control Panel / Manage Audio Devices / Recording tab/ Microphone (2- USB Audio Codec) / Properties / Levels tab, and change the level all the way down to approximately 4.  This "digital scaling" workaround yields the proper level for the USB signal from the turntable. However this a very sloppy implementation of a driver in that it does not have a "line level" option like the previous driver did. 

I would like to hear from anyone else running Win 7 that may have observed this, and suggestion to whom specifically should I address comments to about this driver implementation, if anyone has any ideas. (Don't just say "Microsoft"!).

I don't think Audio Creator LE 1.50-1.52 installs any USB drivers for the turntable but correct me if I'm wrong. There is no forum for support at the Audio-Technica site, so perhaps the folks at Cakewalk can let the AT folks know that this is a problem, as partners for the turntable product. 

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1