Need Advice Getting Started

Author
skylark820
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2010/12/28 03:45:51 (permalink)

Need Advice Getting Started

I'm new at all of this, and would appreciated some help/advice as I'm utterly confused.

The following are the equipments I have:

- Yamaha Keyboard - PSR-E323 to be exact, with 1 MIDI In and 1 MIDI Out port.
- Yamaha UX16, which is supposed to directly connect the keyboard to my computer.
- Shure microphone
- A MIDI-microphone cable
- Yamaha steinberg CI1 audio interface

What I want to do is play my piano as one track, and record my voice via the mic as another, and put the two together to make a song.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2 Replies Related Threads

RabbitSeason
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 201
    Re:Need Advice Getting Started 2010/12/30 09:27:20 (permalink)
    Hi Reina, and welcome to the forum.

Have you already bought a Cakewalk product, or are you looking for advice on which product to buy?

Do you want record your piano as a MIDI track and/or an audio track?  With the CI1 you could record both piano and voice as audio tracks and create songs that way.

I wasn't familiar with the UX16, but I just did a quick Google search.  I don't know if problems would arise using two different interfaces (one MIDI, one audio).  I always assumed people were using only one.  There are smarter people than me on this forum, and I'm sure they can answer that.

One more thing - it's not important right this second, but you might want to list your computer specs the next time you post.

Computer: 2.5 GHz Core2Quad, 6GB, Windows 7 Home Premium, Sonar X1d, Edirol UA-25
    Instruments: Carvin 5-string bass, Ovation Acoustic, Parker P-38, Baldwin DG100 keyboard, Vito alto sax
    Toys: POD 2.0, Zoom RFX-1000
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Need Advice Getting Started 2010/12/30 11:05:21 (permalink)
    I've never heard of Shure MIDI-microphone. Are you sure you've understood things right? Microphones don't use MIDI.

Otherwise your equipment should be OK. You need an XLR-cable for your Shure, I believe. There are dozens of very different Shure microphones. Which one do you have?

It's no use starting to give advice before you have the software installed, and you have read the manual and done the tutorials. SONAR X1 Essential or Cakewalk Music Maker could be good for a beginner.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1