Amplitube

Author
joethegardner
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 75
2010/12/28 17:00:07 (permalink)

Amplitube

Okay so now I am having trouble loading and using amplitube X-gear.

Honestly...I have had Homestudio 2XL for years and every time I go to use it there seems to be a new issue to work through and things to set up and although I have crated some great music using it I found it really uncondusive for a casual hobbyist like me to use.

I thought "Geez, I only want to play the music and record it. I don't want to need an audio engineering degree to use this, isn't there an easier way? I just want the software to do it's thing allow me to do mine. I don't even know what a buss is."

Then I found Music Creator and it seemed like the answer since the advertising says "no recording experience needed". Although I DO have recording experience, this seemed like the answer for me.

So I bought it, a lo and behold, it's the same thing all over again. Install this, register that, scan this, set that. I figure if I bought a box containing the software and all the stuff that it says it comes with AND if it says just load it and go...then that's what I should be able to do.

But no, I have to register everything separately it seems. Which means I need serial numbers and magic decoder rings. Good Lord.

Sorry for the rant, just feeling frustrated. Two days of dicking around with this and I still haven't laid down a drum track or recorded a note and I am running out of Christmas break.

Can anyone help me with Amplitude? I can find it in windows explorer, I have pointed the VST scanner to it. It still doesn't show up in any VST menu or instrument menu. I opened it as a stand alone but of course it needs to be registered and it needs a serial number.

I have gone to the online account (which I had to set up, you'd think it would have been set up when I registered my MC 5) and there is nothing at all in "my registrations" or "serial numbers" not even MC 5.

So I need to get it registered and then I need to know how to use the friggin thing. And can anyone give me a heads up as to which other plug ins or apps or VSTs I will have the same problem with downstream so I can get them handled as well?

Again, sorry for the rant, and I hope my attitude doesn't come across TOO bad. I would appreciate any help you can offer.

(Nothing like a piece of software to make you feel like an ignoramus.)

Windows XP
Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
1 GB RAM
M-Audio Mobile Pre USB Interface

Music Creator 5
Home Studio 2XL on different computer

http://www.myspace.com/joethegardner

2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2000 DeArmond M-70 (Plays and sounds as good as the Paul)
Line 6/Bogner Spider Valve 212
Line 6 Pod XT Live

21 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/28 17:56:20 (permalink)
    open it in stand alone and register it.  the serial number should have come with MC5.  did you purchase MC5 as a boxed version or a download?  if you purchased it as a boxed version then the serial number for amplitube is in the box.  if you purchased as a download then it was sent to you in an email.  if you didn't get it then it might have been sent to your spam filter.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    tom3160
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/28 18:07:40 (permalink)
    I feel your pain toward AmpiTude.  I cannot for the life of me get it to work.  After finding the standalone application on my hard drive I double click on it and its say its not installed properly and won't run.  The PDF documentation gives instructions on registering this and that functionality does not show itself to me either so I have just about given up it.    There are several posts regarding this product that indicate its another half baked thing released. 

As far as the rant I feel your pain, I have said before that Roland owes a debt of gratitude if not even actual money to the more senior members of this forum like Beagle et. al.  I personally would have given up on MC4/5 if it were not for their help.  My suspicion is that the more expensive packages like Sonar are not going to offer a better user experience since more than likely they are built on the same code base.  Bad software makes you feel like an ignoramus and this is some bad software. 

Tom - PreSonus Inspire 1394, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz, SoundBlaster Audiology (24 bit), XP Pro(SP3), 2 GIG Ram, Music Creator 5, Warmoth Strat, Les Paul, ES135 and a Warmoth Tele.
    joethegardner
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/28 18:08:11 (permalink)
    Thanks Beagle for responding. But as I said in my post, I purchased it in a box and of course that would be the first place I would look for a number but the only one given is for MC 5. Yes I did open it in stand alone and tried to register it and that is where I ran into the problem that prompted my post.

Windows XP
    Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
    1 GB RAM

Music Creator 5

Line 6 Pod XT Live
    joethegardner
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/28 18:10:46 (permalink)
    Yeah Tom3061, I am wondering if I should look elsewhere for recording software. Maybe recording for dummies or something. I don't mind being in that category if I can just get down to the business of recording.

Windows XP
    Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
    1 GB RAM

Music Creator 5

Line 6 Pod XT Live
    joethegardner
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/28 18:14:22 (permalink)
    Okay....apparently I'm a dumba**. Beagle you of course are right. The serial number is on the flap above the serial number for MC5.

God I feel stupid right now. Sorry guys.

Windows XP
    Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
    1 GB RAM

Music Creator 5

Line 6 Pod XT Live
    tom3160
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/28 18:19:23 (permalink)
    I was a software developer for 15 years and I still work as an engineer for software centric products.  If your having problems and if there are this many posts then nothings wrong with the user.  If it were not for the desire of the people on this forum to make music on their PC and if it were not for the help of the people on this forum this product would not last 9 months in the market.  Could you imagine having only a fraction of these difficulties with say e-mail or a GPS unit or your smart phone? 

There's gold in them thar hills of creating a truly good DAW for under $75 retail, the competitions not exactly stiff.

Tom - PreSonus Inspire 1394, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz, SoundBlaster Audiology (24 bit), XP Pro(SP3), 2 GIG Ram, Music Creator 5, Warmoth Strat, Les Paul, ES135 and a Warmoth Tele.
    Beagle
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/28 20:08:19 (permalink)
    glad you found it!

dws1962noxfordma
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/28 21:56:30 (permalink)
    hello all, I can understand the frustration that i have been seeing. I purchased the music creator 5 and so far all it has created for me is a giant headache. aghhh. I cant even get the demo to work to hear the thing and also there are not enough instructions for the begginer to read and try to absorb the way that this thing works. I can not get anywhere with this. Is there any one who knows where i can download a better instruction booklet to help me get started and help me learn to use this creator? I dont know what else to do now. DS 12/28/10 @9:55 p.m. RESPONSE NEEDED DESPERATELY.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/28 22:14:14 (permalink)
    OK.... understand that just because you are having problems, it does not indicate that the software is bad. Quite the opposite. MC5 is quite capable of handling all but the biggest projects (track numbers) and will give you EXCELLENT results.

HOWEVER.... there are 2 things you should understand.

1. there is a learning curve with MC5, although it is a smaller curve than with Sonar.

2. You should have the right tools to do the job and not try to get 100% functionality with sub par equipment.

What I mean.... it will take you time to learn the ins and outs of MC5. Once you do, recording is actually (pardon the pun) a cakewalk. Easy as turn it on and start on a new project and record with in seconds.

Part 2 is having the right gear. If you want to record multitrack music and possibly use MIDI, you need to have more than just your laptop and it's crappy built in sound card. A nice interface will set you back a couple of hundred bux (maybe) BUT it will make the job of recording SO MUCH EASIER. Trust me, I know.
    You also need to have the correct drivers set up and have the other controls in the sound signal path set up correctly to get sound out of the system.

It is possible to get sound from the laptop & the POC card. Usually, it requires MME drivers and set to 16 bits 44.1khz sampleing. Some cards require 48khz sampleing (soundblasters maybe?) I'm not 100% sure on that.

Set the factory card to be the in & out for audio and midi. Don't use the Wavetable synth.

DWS: what are you trying to do and what is the system setup? Sound card, computer, etc?

BTW: Just so you newbies know... it took me 2 weeks to get this thing set up and working with sound. I was about to carry it all back when a long time user here gave me the assistance and advice that allowed me to set up my system. All we can do is try to point you in the right direction. We are not there with you, and therefore are not able to do it for you. You must learn to diagnose your own system. Once you set it up and get it working, you will be amazed at how simple it actually was, and also with what you can do with it.

Just remember, we all started exactly where you are at now. It's a long term thing. I've been serious about this for 3 years now and I still learn something new every day I set down at the DAW to record..... and I have much to learn still.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/12/28 22:21:49

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/28 23:01:17 (permalink)
    Right. Right after loading MC 2003 in 2002, I read the Getting Started manual. Well, I read enough to get me started. Did you get one with your MC?
    Then I opened a couple of the Tutorials and played around with them, learing some of the tools and capabilities of the program. To top all that off, I was a new computer user, too. I was lucky, I guess, but I was recording new music within the hour. I didn't have to know everything at that time (still don't), but it was exciting to be able to do what I've always wanted to do; record my own music.
    It was several years before I discovered this forum and have learned a lot since then, such that my music and mixes have improved tremendously.
    But be forewarned; very few people are going to be producing hit records with MC immediately. There is a lot to learn, about the tools, audio and MIDI, and the terminology used.
    Endeavor to persevere.
    If I can do it, anyone can.
    Do you have specific questions?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    fiddlebuster
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/29 00:19:29 (permalink)
    When I started my Amplitube I had no problems running it but it sounded like crap and had a horrible pulsing buzzing sound. I had to adjust all of the audio/MIDI settings. I set the input and output audio interface to my sound card, the sample rate to 22050, and the buffer size to 1024. That cured the sound problems. But, there is a delay from when I play something and the sound comes out of the Amplitube. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Incidentally I discovered that you can use the Amplitube as an effect on your audio tracks. Just set the output of the track to a buss and add it as your effect on the FX part of the buss in the Console View. Very handy.

MC 5  Windows XP 32bit
    AMD Athlon X2 245 2.91GHz Dual Core Processor
    3.25 GB Ram
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy 24 bit Soundcard
    Cheap Mic (actually sounds decent)
    Electric Violin

"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." (Aldus Huxley)

Beagle
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/29 09:05:50 (permalink)
    fiddlebuster

When I started my Amplitube I had no problems running it but it sounded like crap and had a horrible pulsing buzzing sound. I had to adjust all of the audio/MIDI settings. I set the input and output audio interface to my sound card, the sample rate to 22050, and the buffer size to 1024. That cured the sound problems. But, there is a delay from when I play something and the sound comes out of the Amplitube. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Incidentally I discovered that you can use the Amplitube as an effect on your audio tracks. Just set the output of the track to a buss and add it as your effect on the FX part of the buss in the Console View. Very handy.
    It's called latency.  and you probably can't get rid of it using that soundblaster soundcard as your recording card.  you need a low latency soundcard designed for recording, not one designed for gaming and home theater.

check my website for soundcard recommendations (and I'm updating it this week to add more).

57Gregy
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/29 09:52:03 (permalink)
    had a horrible pulsing buzzing sound

Also, Ampltube will generate a noise until you register it.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

tom3160
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/29 10:49:15 (permalink)
    Can someone provide an assist on how you get Amplitude to allow you to register it?  I click on the icon in the program group and I get a windows dialog box titled "Registry error" and the message in the box says:  "Please ensure this product has been installed properly".  When I installed MC5 this product was installed as a part of that installation and did not have a separate install application on the CD.  I have never been able to get to a UI element that allows me to put in the registration information printed on the CD jacket. 

fiddlebuster
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/29 11:10:04 (permalink)
    If Amplitube is installed but not registered you may be able to register it from within the program. Open it and in the bottom left corner there is a button that has a padlock symbol on it. That is where the registration information is.

If that doesn't work you might try running a registry cleaner and reinstall it.

post edited by fiddlebuster - 2010/12/29 11:31:49

MC 5  Windows XP 32bit
    AMD Athlon X2 245 2.91GHz Dual Core Processor
    3.25 GB Ram
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy 24 bit Soundcard
    Cheap Mic (actually sounds decent)
    Electric Violin

"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." (Aldus Huxley)

57Gregy
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/29 11:10:42 (permalink)
    I don't have Ampltube, but according to things I've read here, you open it in stand alone mode, then click something to bring up the registration window.
    Sorry I can't be more help, but someone who's been through it will probably be along later with more info.

Greg 

joethegardner
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/29 16:16:37 (permalink)
    So for 4 hours straight today, and probably 6 hours straight yesterday I have been reading tutorials, how to's, "help" instructions and I have gotten absolutely nowhere.

Two issues I am trying to sort out are
    1) How to program the friggin drums and
    2) How to incorporate Amplitude (only because I want to see if it is going to be more beneficial than using my POD XT Live)

So I have read all about the SI drums. Great. I can now understand (pretty much) the SI Drums GUI. How to make that interact with the MC5 track...not so much. So I have a drum track, great. It is using the SI drums, great. I go to piano roll view to start editing and this is where the fun begins.

First of all, if I have a clip in there (a pattern and program from SI drums), what I see on the piano roll view is not representative of the clip. The clip consists solely of kick and snare notes, but the PRV shows at least 3 or 4 other notes. They are visible but do not sound. They don't belong there, I don't want them there.

Okay so I ditch the clip and decide to start from scratch and make my own pattern (something I have done MANY times on Homestudio 2XL). Problem is, I don't have any drum note names in the PRV. Okay, so I right click and get the "note names" dialogue box. If I say use assigned instrument settings (Afterall I have a recognized soft synth that is generating the drums which is SI drums) and configure to use general midi drums....nothing happens. So I go to the other choice "Use these note names instead". There, I get the same choices as in the "use assigned instrument settings" only now I can actually pick one. But which one? SI drums is not listed there, that would seem to be logical. So I get all these other choices but not one of them precisely matches up with the sounds I get when a SI clip is present. Nice.

Okay so I get rid of the clip and just pick one of note name choices offered. Say "Roland GS Standard Set". Now, when I go to the view on the left where the names are listed, I should be able to press one and preview it's sound. But no...just silence.

So now I figure "okay better do some more reading" and I go to help. This little gem of a lobotomy inducing rabbit trail sends me to all kinds of sub topics, each one less descriptive than the last. It tells me about the different panes in the PRV, one of which is the Drum Grid Pane but it gives me no further description of what it looks like. Am I looking at it or not? I don't know, but I don't think so since the help file makes it sound like it will be fairly obvious when I am looking at it. It gives no further help as to how to correct this condition other that to tell me I need to create a drum map. Okay great (I just want to get on with it!)

That's where I'm at now. Getting into the drum map manager and all the minutiae of in-notes, out notes, ports, midi channels and all the other BS that I got so tired of messing with in HS2XL.

So much for the  ease of use claim by cakewalk.

As for the Amplitube issue, I have been in contact with Amplitube and they have had me uninstall it, go to regedit and remove it from there, re-install it and try again and the problem still exists. So now they are scratching their heads as well.

I am sure I will get through this, but when I finally get a song out, it will have been so traumatic a process like giving birth or something that I won't want to do it again for a while and then when I finally do, I'll have to go through much of the same pain all over again. At least that has been my experience with HS2XL. I am really starting to hate this software.

Windows XP
    Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
    1 GB RAM

Music Creator 5

Line 6 Pod XT Live
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/29 19:49:40 (permalink)
    I don't know how to drag the clips in on the drums... but you can open the staff view and click on the staff lines and spaces to insert notes. Then use copy/paste to replicate that same measure..... there are easier ways to do this as well....

Use a midi keyboard set up to channel 10 (midi drums) and hit the record and play the keys to trigger the drums and record those hits... use midi quantize set to 16th resolution to line them up to the closest 16th note....

Buy Jamstix2 and let it create the drums for you.... also Band in a Box will do the same thing..... that is how I currently do my drum tracks. It's way more creative than I will ever be on a drum set and it's done in a matter of minutes..... well maybe an hour tops....

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/29 19:53:09 (permalink)
    The amplitude..... hum... I don't use it often, preferring instead to use my POD2 hardware sim..... but... plug the guitar into the soundcard direct. Set it up to record and play through a new audio track. Click the echo back icon in the track inspector. Insert the Amplitude into the FX bin... set it up with an amp, and it should play OK..... the playback quality will depend on the computer speed, available resources, and the sound card.

Register it to loose the static noise burst.

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/29 22:39:49 (permalink)
    I think the SI Drums are GM mapped so use the GM drums names.
    It's possible that the paterns you used play drums that SI Drums doesn't have, or isn't mapped the same, hence the unheard beats.
    Whenever I create a drum track using the PRV and switch synths or use my SR-16, I often have to move some of the notes around becaues they may not be mapped the same. There have been a few times where the track I wrote played none of the drums in the SR-16 and I had to move them all.
    Using one of the drum maps which are included, like Roland GS Standard Set, may not do anything if you don't have a hardware or software synth that is mapped to it. Some of the notes may play, but many probably won't.
    The Drum Grid Pane is the PRV.
    If I had a POD XT and Amplitube, I would use the POD.
    So, use GM Drum names and (maybe) you'll have more luck.

Greg 

tom3160
    Re:Amplitube 2010/12/30 18:22:26 (permalink)
    Hey Joe The Gardener thanks for the screen shots however I don't even get this.  When I click on the application from Programs, start in windows I get about the top third of the picture you show and no opportunity to register it.  It also says I have something wrong with the registry.   I've given up on it.  My only reason for getting MC5 was the drum package which is pretty good and easy to work with. 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1