VS 100 for Classical Guitar recording - with a modest budget...

Author
eschelar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2010/12/29 12:49:38 (permalink)

VS 100 for Classical Guitar recording - with a modest budget...

OK, I read up on the Sonar area of the forums with the brilliant info on CG recording and I thought I would open this up from another POV.

I'm pretty serious photo/video (a little shy of $8000 US in camera gear/lenses) and hobby level classical guitar player. Note that I don't consider myself a classical guitarist, I am just mucking about for fun on this side of things.

As I move deeper into NLE's and audio for video, I find myself expanding my audio gear. Over the next year, I will probably spend 3-5000 US on audio for video. Yeah, crazy amateur.... heheh

I thought it might be a fun exercise to set up some recording equipment so I can listen to myself playing. As the difficulty of the stuff I am learning increases, I find that my interest in the finer points of audio quality increases. For me, that's part of the learning process and really is the ultimate payoff for all this time/effort/expense. I'll never be able to play in a concert, and that doesn't bother me. I'm addicted to learning, so that's my goal.

After a very disappointing week with a Roland BR800, I hit Ebay and went VS 100. Better indeed at every level.

So my basic setup so far is to use the VS 100 with a pair of SM57's. Going Dynamics is because of budget. I will probably spring for a SM81 once my kit starts to get very complete (probably paired with a Rode NTG2 Shotgun) because my primary intent has little use for hand mikes.

Using SM57's on the BR800 was horrendous as the pre-amps are *badly* underpowered for that use, but I'm finding that the VS100 is MUCH more capable and is able to get PASSABLE results for amateur audio/family use/practice.

I am also looking at picking up an RNP which I have read is able to get a very respectable sound from SM57's and will alternately free up my inputs 1 and 2 for use with phantom powered condensers later on in the game... which I certainly hope will provide a lot more usable signal at much lower gain levels.

So I'd like to get some input and feedback and open this up to discussion/criticism to the much more knowledgeable folk on the forum here.

Setup #1 - VS 100 + 2x Shure SM57 = $699 + $200 = $900 (Price I actually paid = $560)
Setup #2 - VS 100 + 2x Shure SM57 + RNP = $699 + $200 + $450 = $1350
Setup #3 - VS 100 + SM81 + Rode NTG2 = $699 + $350 + $300 = $1350
Setup #4 - VS 100 + 2x Shure SM57 + RNP + SM81 + Rode NTG2 = $2000

Why SM57's? I understand that these are 'must have' mics and they can sound nice with the RNP.
Why the RNP? I understand that this is a VERY good item to have, especially when looking at versatility.
Why the SM81? I read that it has very good sound and can work well without necessarily being paired with another SM81. I don't think I would want to buy a second expensive hand mic, but I *will* be needing some shotgun mics. The Rode NTG2 also pairs nicely with phantom power. The VS 100 only has one switch for both ins 1 and 2 (hrmph), so this might make sense.
Why the Rode? I will be using NTG2 + boom + dedicated recorder (probably Tascam DR100 at this point), so this is not an option.

Thanks for your input!

6 Replies Related Threads

M@ B
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re:VS 100 for Classical Guitar recording - with a modest budget... 2010/12/30 01:23:03 (permalink)
    what's an rnp?

you'll definitely need a condenser to record the classical.

check out the audio technica 4040... versatile and excellent for it's price ($299).

eschelar
    Re:VS 100 for Classical Guitar recording - with a modest budget... 2010/12/30 01:42:39 (permalink)
    RNP = Really Nice Preamp.

I was looking at microphone choices and one classical guitarist recommended the SM81 rather glowingly and mentioned the RNP. Seems that it's a super value, very clean simple boost preamp.

He said that the SM57 is usable, but not great, but combined with an RNP, it becomes quite decent.

I have read many places that have described the RNP as 'must have' equipment.

The SM81 is a small diaphragm condenser and apparently is also a mainstay of classical recordings.

In the thread in the Sonar section of this forum about CG recording, you see it mentioned at least a couple of times by pros. 

Unfortunately, since I live in Taiwan right now, I'm not in a position to do a lot of hands-on testing of these things. A lot of these types of items aren't even available to buy let alone try. I got lucky buying the Cakewalk VS100 on Ebay. Although it is made in TW, it's only sold here at close to $800 US, almost 100 bucks over MSRP. Their reason - Shipping costs.

And with 2 weeks delay for the item AND a required, non-refundable deposit, with NO option of 'try before you buy', I have to rely on what I read.

I already got burned on the trash Roland BR800, so I'm hesitant to do that again.
    Ian Mill
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:VS 100 for Classical Guitar recording - with a modest budget... 2011/01/19 07:41:26 (permalink)
    CAD E-300 condenser mic, only cost a little over $200 and is spot on for guitar recording.
    eschelar
    Re:VS 100 for Classical Guitar recording - with a modest budget... 2011/02/06 10:05:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Ian!

I actually just won an Ebay on a KSM27 for $250. Looks like a decent buy. It's a large condenser.

I was getting frustrated with the SM81. Too many people only shipping to the US and the TW rep for Shure doesn't want to bring any in for new sales. If I have to buy online, I expect the price to be much better.

That cad e300 looks sweet! If I hadn't just paid for the KSM27, I would look at that for sure! Love the idea of on board power to help even out spikes. Great advice.

-k
    eschelar
    Re:VS 100 for Classical Guitar recording - with a modest budget... 2011/02/08 10:56:44 (permalink)
    still searching for more info on mic pre's.

I've been searching for good deals on RNP's, but so many of the best deals are USA only.

I am also running a tad low on budget these days, so I'm considering the DMP3 as the absolute lowest choice.

Anyone out there know if the DMP3 will give me more gain or cleanness at high gain for use with dynamics (especially SM57) than the basic internal mic pre's on the VS100?

thanks.
    Sacalait
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 552
    Re:VS 100 for Classical Guitar recording - with a modest budget... 2011/02/09 17:54:52 (permalink)
    The RNP is no doubt a very good choice.  There are a couple others like the DAV (British made I believe), and Black Lion.  All are about in the same price point.  I haven't used any of these but I did own a Presonus MP20 and used it as my go-to mic pre before bringing in a couple of A-Designs Pacifica's.  Not quite what the Pacifica is but certainly not $1500 difference in performance.  Don't know if the MP20 is still in production.

www.pershingwells.com www.facebook.com/pershingwells
    Sonar Platinum, PC- Intel i7-4770K w/16 Gig RAM Windows 8.1, Solid State Drive and eSATA drives, Mytek, RME UFX, RME Multiface II, Roland VS700,  A-Designs Pacifica, UA LA610, Presonus RC500. A-Designs Hammer EQ, DBX, AKG, Neumann, Roland, JBL, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Marshall, Korg, Martin, Shure, Electrovoice, Yamaha, Chameleon Labs comps.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1