X1 - new softsynths - not working

Author
Frank Haas
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2490
2010/12/29 13:56:29 (permalink)

X1 - new softsynths - not working

just been playing with the softsynth-section..
I noticed that GR4 is not showing up as a softsynth anymore... hm.. this circumstance certainly brings up old memories..

anyway,..
the new ones:
- Cakewalk Sound Center
the plugin is loading, I can select the categories.. but then that's it.. no sound.. no indicator that a sound/sample has been loaded..

- SI-Bass Guitar
- SI-Drum Kit
- SI-Electric Piano
- SI-String Section
these plugins don't load..
The cofiguration-menu comes up, after clicking [ok] an VST error message appears.. "following vst-plug.. could not load.. c:\prog..\si-bass guitar.dll"
(the path is valid)
anyone else got these working ?

post edited by Frank Haas - 2010/12/29 14:03:12

12 Replies Related Threads

Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2010/12/29 15:21:05 (permalink)
    Frank Haas

just been playing with the softsynth-section..
    I noticed that GR4 is not showing up as a softsynth anymore... hm.. this circumstance certainly brings up old memories..

anyway,..
    the new ones:
    - Cakewalk Sound Center
    the plugin is loading, I can select the categories.. but then that's it.. no sound.. no indicator that a sound/sample has been loaded..

- SI-Bass Guitar
    - SI-Drum Kit
    - SI-Electric Piano
    - SI-String Section
    these plugins don't load..
    The cofiguration-menu comes up, after clicking [ok] an VST error message appears.. "following vst-plug.. could not load.. c:\prog..\si-bass guitar.dll"
    (the path is valid)
    anyone else got these working ? 

Had not tried the new Cake synths before but took your post as a reason to try them out. They seem to work here in X1a - 64 bit. Tried the electric piano, string section, bass guitar and the Cakewalk Sound Center - all worked fine.

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    awal
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2010/12/29 15:32:26 (permalink)

Try the insert soft synth from the browser, that's how i got mine to work and some of the sounds are great I like the bass soundsand can't wait to try the stings.

good luck.

awal
    Grumbleweed_
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2010/12/29 15:41:02 (permalink)
    Mine worked. I like the animations coz I'm (mentally) a kid and I like to pretend I have little people (invisible little people) playing my stringed instruments.

Grum.

Grumbleweed on Soundcloud
    Grumbleweed on Bandcamp
    Grumbleweed on Soundclick

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
    Frank Haas
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2010/12/29 15:42:18 (permalink)
    ok, then at least it seems to be a problem on my side.. still can't get them to work though,..
    thanks

Win7x64, X1ax32,..

hm,... just thinking that it might have to do with uninstalling X1x64 from the pc..
    post edited by Frank Haas - 2010/12/29 15:43:45
    dlesaux
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1034
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2010/12/29 16:46:12 (permalink)
    You need to double click on an intrument to load it in Sound Center. And I'm running the SI soft synths with no problem..
    DevNullWest
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2010/12/29 17:44:13 (permalink)
    I have no problem loading the soft synths, specifically the SI Bass synth, but I have odd issues making it work.  

First, it doesn't work at all (produces no output) if I just load it, route a preexisting midi track to it, and hit play.  The midi track plays fine through another synth, like TTS-1.  The only way to get sound out of it for me is to load a program into it while the playback is running, and then it only works during that specific playback.  Once I stop it, and start playback again, no sound unless I reload a program into it while it's playing. 

The second issue is that when it does produce sound, it skips certain notes in the midi track; the same notes every time.  I thought maybe the notes had some parameters on them that were causing them to be muted, but I couldn't see anything, and TTS-1 has no problems playing this same midi track.

Any ideas?  I'm not that familiar with soft synths, but I've used TTS-1 with no issues.

The only other issue I've seen so far, other than a few crashes here and there, is that once I dock something like a soft synth property window, it doesn't stick -- if I switch screensets, and come back to it, I have to dock it again.

<edit>
    Ok, I fiddled around some more, and discovered what the problem was with the SI Bass synth not playing certain notes from my midi track... the midi track actually sends notes that are below the range of playable notes for the SI Bass.  The TTS-1 plays these notes fine, since it's not a guitar synth, but a real bass guitar couldn't actually play the lowest notes on this track.  

Still not sure what's causing the synth to not play anything during playback unless I reload a program into it, then when I stop the playback, and start it again, it doesn't play anything again, until I reload (any) program into it... and it has to be loaded while playback is happening, otherwise no sound at all.
    post edited by DevNullWest - 2010/12/29 20:13:42
    DevNullWest
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2010/12/29 22:16:22 (permalink)
    Ok, after still more fiddling, I figured out the issue with the bass synth not outputting any sound when playing from a midi track... if you expand the horizontal track settings for the SI Bass Guitar (by clicking the double down arrow to the far right), you'll see a drop-down setting, probably named "clips".  Select that, go to automation-->SI Bass Guitar and select "Enabled".  Then everything works.  I don't quite understand it, but there it is.  
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2010/12/29 22:42:23 (permalink)
    GR4 (Guitar rig) is not a Softsynth (never has been as far as I know).

Its an FX unit primarily for guitar but can be used fro proessing any sound at all.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Frank Haas
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2010/12/30 02:57:37 (permalink)
    Mike,.. GR4 has been a Softsynth for a while..
    you needed it to be configured as such to control GR4 with an ext. midi-footcontroler...
    but the presets would fail to load when trying to access that project, similar to the non-loading presets with the x1-demo..
    So it makes me wonder if you can control GR4 with a midi-footcontroler now from within an audiotrack.. or if you need to rewire GR4 and run it as a standalone application..
    As GR4 still not loads up 100% like you saved it.. I'll not use it in my projects anymore..
    Grumbleweed_
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2010/12/30 05:35:35 (permalink)
    Frank Haas

Mike,.. GR4 has been a Softsynth for a while..
    you needed it to be configured as such to control GR4 with an ext. midi-footcontroler...
    but the presets would fail to load when trying to access that project, similar to the non-loading presets with the x1-demo..
    So it makes me wonder if you can control GR4 with a midi-footcontroler now from within an audiotrack.. or if you need to rewire GR4 and run it as a standalone application..
    As GR4 still not loads up 100% like you saved it.. I'll not use it in my projects anymore..

You can configure GR4 as a softsynth in the Plug-in manager. I just did it and it worked (well visually worked, I haven't got anything playing through it at the mo' as I've just woken up!).
    As for saving stuff I have no idea where the patches are going as they aren't there for recall.

Grum.

Grumbleweed on Soundcloud
    Grumbleweed on Bandcamp
    Grumbleweed on Soundclick

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
    karmadillo
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2011/02/04 10:57:56 (permalink)
    I'm trying to get something out of the SI-String soft synth and am having problems that relate to the SI-bass one earlier.

Basically its skipping notes in playback but its being tempermental about what it skips playing.

For instance I have three midi notes at the start of the track, two of which were playing fine. I copy and paste this clip to four bars later and the repeat does't work, but the initial one were playing. I add a couple of notes elsewhere - and now none of them play. I haven't used SI- Instruments before, but this doesn't seem like how they should behave.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Rishi

karmadillo
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:X1 - new softsynths - not working 2011/02/04 11:21:24 (permalink)
    Actually further to the previous message this does just pertain to Sonar X1 and not Producer 8.5. I have the same issue with other plug-ins in X1, all of whcih work fine under 8.5 so its got to be some bug in the latest X1.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1