Recording Jamstix and Session Drummer

Author
Spacedock
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/12/30 00:41:26 (permalink)

Recording Jamstix and Session Drummer

Although I can hear the drums through the synth, I cannot figure out how to record the audio for exporting or how to record the midi for later playback or exporting.

Can anyone help me out? I can definitely write in midi notes or drag and drop files like EZ drummer, but I don't understand why I can't record the straight audio output from the synth into the same simple audio track.

Thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:Recording Jamstix and Session Drummer 2010/12/30 02:18:49 (permalink)
    First I'd like to welcome you to the SONAR Forum. I don't know your background so I'm not talking down to you but your question leaves me thinking you're a bit new to this.

While there's no substitute for experience the manual (Press F1 if you haven't downloaded the Reference manual) is a reaally great resource and SONAR has several Tutorials and tutorial projects that can help you get to grips with all this much quicker. Once you've done the tutorials you'll be a little more familiar with the onterface and general procedures and you can ask more soecific questions iof you don't understand something specific.

In the meantime
    The MIDI is simply dragged from inside Session Drummer and dropped on whatever MIDI track its connected to. Once its there its part of the SONAR project file.  No need to record in a literal sense.

Unless the audio is coming directly from outside of SONAR like in a conventional "tape recorder" type of illustration, the idea is a little different inside a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW).

You need to bounce down the track ie. if you have MIDI data you need to process that data through the softsynth  in this case Session Drummer. Look for the bounce to track menu and it willl do that . There is a  fast bounce and a live bounce option.

Check out the help files by looking up bounce to track and it will give you a fuller understanding of how it works.

If you more have problems ask some more questions.

Some folks may come on here and give you specific instructions which is fine. I believe more in giving folks pointers to help teach themselves. I just think its a better long term teaching method.

All the best

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:Recording Jamstix and Session Drummer 2010/12/30 02:18:53 (permalink)
    double post

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Spacedock
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Recording Jamstix and Session Drummer 2010/12/30 18:29:40 (permalink)
    Well,  I have been using sonar for a few years. Also reaper and cubase; I just started using jamstix and session drummer because I am sick of ezdrummer. 

I watched the tutorials and read all about the bounce function, but I am still missing something. Even though I have the drums set up as a midi and audio tracks, it doesn't show the midi that is being played audibly on the midi track, nor does midi show up in the track after the recording stops. I can easily drag and drop midi files, like they do in the tutorials, but I want to record the live midi feed from the drum programs. That is the main point of jamstix.

I also tried creating an additional audio and midi tracks that would bus the sound/midi to them, but when I do this; ie create a new track that uses the drum for an input, there is no arm button on the track. It is completely perplexing. I can set up the vst's to use a midi controller and that records the midi events, in case you were wondering.

I am easily able to record the audio and midi events of these drums with reaper and cubase. What am I missing here?

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to assist me.

Thank you
    InstrEd
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    Re:Recording Jamstix and Session Drummer 2010/12/30 18:36:30 (permalink)
    Are you loading Session drummer inside Jamstix?
    I remember that you have to have the track play through once and then you can bounce the audio down. I forgot how to drag out the MIDI, but I know it can be done. Rayzoon has a geat forum to ask in too.
    Sorry I can't be more help, but I'm at work and not by my DAW

Instred
    Chicagoland, IL 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1