Which Software Package for Editing MIDI Backing Tracks?

Author
Dpaz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/12/30 21:12:13 (permalink)

Which Software Package for Editing MIDI Backing Tracks?

Hi:

I know next to nothing about which software package to get.  There are two basic things I want to do:

1) Create backing tracks for live playing using MIDI tracks (already recorded).  I will get a sound generator to create the instrument sounds.  I need software to remove or mute the MIDI tracks I don't want to use.  Probably record the final song on a CD for use live.

2) At a later date use a Mackie FX12 mixer with an USB output for "live" recording directly into a computer.

Which easy to use software should I use?  I have never done any home recording.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

3 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Which Software Package for Editing MIDI Backing Tracks? 2010/12/31 02:18:11 (permalink)
    I think Music Creator 5 can do what you want. I've never used it but the features include virtual synths including the Roland TTS-1 GM capable soft synth. Perfect for playing midi files you download or create. It seems like a pretty good deal for $35.

Also, with soft synths you don't need an external sound source to create audio of the mix. You can convert all the midi to audio right in the program... though you can use external devices if you wish. You can use both if you want.

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/musiccreator/

And, of course, the more sophisticated programs can do all that and much more.
    post edited by Chappel - 2010/12/31 02:20:26
    Dpaz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Which Software Package for Editing MIDI Backing Tracks? 2011/01/01 14:20:18 (permalink)
    Thanks.  I want to purchase MIDI tracks of the songs so I need to be able to edit the MIDI tracks (such as mute).   Then I will use the MIDI signal (numbers) to play the sounds.  Do you think that Music Creator 5 with the additional sound software will do this?

Thanks again.

Dave
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Which Software Package for Editing MIDI Backing Tracks? 2011/01/01 22:31:33 (permalink)
    What you plan on doing is pretty basic stuff. I don't think you'd have a problem dong that with MC5. What additional sound software are you referring to?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1