Calling CJ - Bass Sound

Author
KnusperMusli
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2010/12/31 11:22:13 (permalink)

Calling CJ - Bass Sound

Hello, at your website you have a song called "Hero" which starts with a bass guitar that has a lot of "air" around it. I've been trying to get this sound for years but could never quite achieve it. All my bass sounds are to much "in your face". I have tried using reverb but it never really helped. How exactly did you record the bass and does it in fact have some kind of room sound on it?

Thanks

8 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Calling CJ - Bass Sound 2010/12/31 12:58:48 (permalink)
    In Lurches voice "You Rang"

Hmm, that bass guitar sound in that song was one of my best bass sounds I recorded and produced.

I just want you to know that there are more to settings and effects to get your sound. The bass guitar, strings and your fingers play a role in the sound you get.

I used a $229 Bass guitar -Its an Ibanez GSR200 that Ive had for years.
    I then proceeded to use my Hartke Bass attack tone shaper DI box and I routed another signal through my bass pod.
    I then mixed both recorded tracks together to get one sound.

I used a perfect space reverb and i send both recorded bass tracks to a buss with a compressor and i also send it to another bus with the cakewalk FX chorus. I didn't use any presets for this. I would have to open the project and take a look at the exact settings and that might take me awhile.
    I also used EQ on both tracks.
    But thats what i used.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    KnusperMusli
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:Calling CJ - Bass Sound 2010/12/31 15:19:34 (permalink)
    "I then proceeded to use my Hartke Bass attack tone shaper DI box and I routed another signal through my bass pod. I then mixed both recorded tracks together to get one sound."

So, what you are saying is that took the "thru" output of your DI and sent that to your (Line6?) bass pod and then recorded both signals to separate tracks?

So what actually creates the "air"; does it start to appear at sometime before the whole prosses is finished, or do you have to have everything done down to the final step before you can start to hear it? The reason I ask is that I've been hearing this kind of bass sound even on stuff recorded in the sixties - long before Pods and long before anybody thought to use more than one track for bass. What I'm trying to find is the real heart of sound.
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:Calling CJ - Bass Sound 2010/12/31 16:43:16 (permalink)
    I second this thread!  I was listening to a bunch of stuff on your soundclick page last night & when I got to that song the bass tone was the 1st thing I noticed.  It's clear, distinct, It's solid enough to hold down the low end without being boomy & with that air sound around it... it's very nice.  I was thinking "sounds like a good 10" harke aluminum cone speaker with a good mic in a great sounding room".   

Bass is very hard to get a great sound recorded.  Guitars can be too, I can get my distorted guitars to sound pretty good but not great. (*OFF TOPIC*) I would love to figure out how to nail that full bodied sound of say... alot of the green day stuff.   I read an article where Billie Joe (of green day) said he often records 2-3 tracks using different guitars & amps & blends them together.  He also attributes the thump in his sound to the way he holds the pick & hits the strings with both the pick & his thumb.  I suspect the also compress the ever loving hell out of it too...
    post edited by ChuckC - 2010/12/31 16:45:00

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Calling CJ - Bass Sound 2010/12/31 17:08:27 (permalink)

So, what you are saying is that took the "thru" output of your DI and sent that to your (Line6?) bass pod and then recorded both signals to separate tracks?

Yea, There is a thru setting that gets affected by the Hartke bass attack and that goes to the pod. Getting the low end like is done in the recording, mixing and mastering stage. It also has to do with the other tracks in the project and how there placed in thestereo field and EQ'ed. I made sure that the other tracks where not interfering with the bass, especially the kick. This way the bass guitar comes through clean, clear and powerful. So its just not the bass settings, but it has to do with the entire projects settings

I second this thread!  I was listening to a bunch of stuff on your soundclick page last night & when I got to that song the bass tone was the 1st thing I noticed.  It's clear, distinct, It's solid enough to hold down the low end without being boomy & with that air sound around it... it's very nice.  I was thinking "sounds like a good 10" harke aluminum cone speaker with a good mic in a great sounding room".   

Thanks Chuck

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    michaelalala
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re:Calling CJ - Bass Sound 2010/12/31 21:39:10 (permalink)
    Best post I've read in a while. 

Boils down to:
    1.  Play the part right
    2.  Record with creative techniques to provide desired raw material for mixing
    3.  Fundamentally good mixing technique and practice (level and EQ). 

The work and polish really shows in this track.

"I've been hearing this kind of bass sound even on stuff recorded in the sixties - long before Pods and long before anybody thought to use more than one track for bass."

They may not have used more than one track, but recording engineers have always mixed signals pre track.  Like several different mics and effects loops.  
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Calling CJ - Bass Sound 2011/01/01 17:54:21 (permalink)
    Yea, Michael, it come down to more than just you process the bass guitar with and thanks for the props
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Guitarman1
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 380
    Re:Calling CJ - Bass Sound 2011/01/02 09:55:58 (permalink)
    I agree the bass sounds good.. but in all the songs.. but cj... I have a question for you.. is that you jumping off the stage with a full head of hair?  :)
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Calling CJ - Bass Sound 2011/01/02 14:53:48 (permalink)
    Yea, thats me. I miss my hair and im sure it misses me, I would think

post edited by CJaysMusic - 2011/01/02 15:21:36

Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1