Couple questions

Author
DevNullWest
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2010/12/31 19:28:22 (permalink)

Couple questions

I'm generally liking X1 a lot, but then I had been using HS6XL for several years, so this is like 4 years worth of technology/UI upgrades all at once for me.  There are a couple minor things that have me scratching my head...

First, when I use the studio Inst, like the SI - Bass Guitar, I have no problems inserting it, and routing a pre-existing midi track into it.  It shows as active in the synth rack.  But I get no sound out of it until I do something that seems very odd to me... I have to go to the synth track, expand the track to see the edit filter, go to Automation-->SI-Bass, and select "Enabled".  Then I get sound.  If I do this again, the sound stops again, so it toggles.  The synth is still "on" in the synth rack, regardless.  This just seems weird to me.  I don't get what the edit filter settings have to do with getting sound out of the synth.

The other thing I can't figure out is, one of my midi track's volume controls shows a tiny icon that looks like an automation envelope, right on top of the control.  I'm not sure what I did to put it there, and can't figure out how to remove it.  My other midi tracks don't have that little icon.  I'm sure it indicates an automation setting on that control, but I'd like to get rid of it.

It's the tiny white triangular icon right above the volume control: 

5 Replies Related Threads

PeterMc
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 504
    Re:Couple questions 2010/12/31 22:09:29 (permalink)
    Hey, cool, I never noticed that little squiggle. Set the edit filter for that track back to "Clips". It appears when the filter is set to the automation/volume setting. Can't help with your other question at the moment.

Cheers, Peter.

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

DevNullWest
    Re:Couple questions 2011/01/01 00:43:21 (permalink)
    Tried that, it won't go away... it appears to be stuck there.  Also, I forgot to mention -- the other weird thing, at least to me:  see the read automation button?  How it's half shaded, half not shaded?

<edit>
    Ok I figured out how to get rid of the little squiggly automation icon on the level control -- the track had an automation envelope on it, I just couldn't see it at first because it was hidden near the top of the clip border.

So the main question still remains... what's up with the SI - Bass and SI - Drums synths not outputting any sound until I use the synth's edit filter to select enabled as described above?  To make it even more irritating, I have to do this for every screenset I switch to.
    post edited by DevNullWest - 2011/01/01 07:09:16
    PeterMc
    Re:Couple questions 2011/01/01 15:37:43 (permalink)
    I hadn't noticed the half-shaded button. How does THAT happen? Buttons tend to be bitmaps. Does this occur in just one rogue project, or have you seen this elsewhere?

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

PeterMc
    Re:Couple questions 2011/01/01 15:42:07 (permalink)
    Oh, I forgot. I did try the SI-Bass and had the same issue as you getting it working. Very annoying. When I get time I might explore further. Didn't try the screenset issue but that would be even more annoying.

DevNullWest
    Re:Couple questions 2011/01/01 18:24:50 (permalink)
    PeterMc

Oh, I forgot. I did try the SI-Bass and had the same issue as you getting it working. Very annoying. When I get time I might explore further. Didn't try the screenset issue but that would be even more annoying.

Thanks for trying it, it helps to know I'm not the only one seeing this problem with SI plugins.

I did a little more investigation of it, and noticed a few things that might help figure it out.  It seems that there's an automation parameter called "Enabled" that can be switched on/off for SI plugins.  Makes sense, seems useful, but the question is, why is that defaulting to OFF when an SI synth is inserted?  
    You can see this by going to the synth rack (might have to undock it first), clicking on Show Controls button to show the assignable buttons for the SI synth you want, then right-click on one of the empty slots to assign a control.  Assign the "Enabled" control, and check out the value.  If it's below 50%, it's "off"; if equal/above 50% it's "on".
    The value for my SI - Bass Guitar synth defaults to 9%, which means it's always off until I manually change it.  So something is weird somewhere.  I can't find any control anywhere on the synth that sets enabled on/off.  Note this is not the connected/unconnected button, which is totally separate.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1