From Here to Here

Author
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
2011/01/03 03:07:03 (permalink)

From Here to Here

Happy New Year!

This is a song about noticing that the years come and go....in a circle not a line...oh my!!!

It's a simple set up.  drums, piano, bass and a reedy kind of synth and some vocals.

I know it needs work so if you've a diagnostic feel free to prescribe.

....wait, did i say that before????   

From Here To Here
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=826274&songID=10068754

I do thank you for stopping in to listen.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull

29 Replies Related Threads

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/03 08:01:20 (permalink)
    I love the opening percussion. The mix is really good too. The little chop accents on the accordion-like instrument gives the song a real fun vibe. Great vocal performances as usual. The little piano solo is excellent and fits the song perfectly!
    post edited by Scottytunes - 2011/01/06 09:19:07

String Jammer
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/03 23:01:27 (permalink)
    Rick, I only have 1 nit. It's a lonely one. The cymbals during the verses and maybe the chorus also. As is and IMHO, it's a tad too much and it detracts from the otherwise excellent vibe you've set up. I love what you did with the accordion-like pad and as a counter-balance to the nervous and edgy piano. Drums are real cool. No nits on the mix as it sounds great on the speakers. Production is... mucho excellent. Bravo! 
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/03 23:05:56 (permalink)
    I'm a fan from way back Rick, you know that. I liked it, but it seemed somewhat unreckless? Well your vox of course make it reckless. And that piano. Well the drums, yeah firth has a style. Come to think of it? I guess this is a reckless song :-) I want back stage passes when you hit it big :-)

And yes, I know who I are... Some people don't like that person? But that's OK, I like him. And I've come to grips with myself. In fact? Pretty much every other night or so? What I mean to say is that I evaluate my ID on a regular basis, please don't misunderstand me. I'm just a boy who's intentions are good? Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood. 
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/01/03 23:08:48

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/03 23:11:30 (permalink)
    Rick, that was just really really cool.  I LOVE hearing you play the piano!  :-)  Great stuff. 
    No How
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/04 01:12:14 (permalink)
    "I love the opening percussion. The mix is really good too. The little chop accents on the accordion-like instrument gives the song a real fun vibe. Gereat vocal performances as usual. The little piano solo is excellent and fits the song perfectly!"
    Scotty,
    I'm elated.  It's one that is not as easily assimilated.  Thank you for the listen!

"Rick, I only have 1 nit. It's a lonely one. The cymbals during the verses and maybe the chorus also. As is and IMHO, it's a tad too much and it detracts from the otherwise excellent vibe you've set up. I love what you did with the accordion-like pad and as a counter-balance to the nervous and edgy piano. Drums are real cool. No nits on the mix as it sounds great on the speakers. Production is... mucho excellent. Bravo!"
    JC
    Good call...  I lowered the volume (and omitted a lot of crashes)on the hi hats.  I also have far less comp on the drums.  It might still be too much but I'll see how the responses go.   Thanks for the thoughtful ears and helpful notes.

"I'm a fan from way back Rick, you know that. I liked it, but it seemed somewhat unreckless? Well your vox of course make it reckless. And that piano. Well the drums, yeah firth has a style. Come to think of it? I guess this is a reckless song :-) I want back stage passes when you hit it big :-)
    And yes, I know who I are... Some people don't like that person? But that's OK, I like him. And I've come to grips with myself. In fact? Pretty much every other night or so? What I mean to say is that I evaluate my ID on a regular basis, please don't misunderstand me. I'm just a boy who's intentions are good? Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood. "
    Robby,
    lol...yes you know who you R.  But does he know you....?   It's handy to have an ID on hand just for those off nights...and ID, an MO and a J&B too. 
    Thanks for the listen and Backstage reservations...I would perform but Creighton has agraphobia and Firth has contenance problems when he gets excited.

"Rick, that was just really really cool.  I LOVE hearing you play the piano!  :-)  Great stuff."
    Janet,
    I'm floored you dig it....and NO MIDI MAGIC.  haha...i'm on the straight and narrow (this week)
    Thank you!
    post edited by No How - 2011/01/04 16:26:14

s o n g s

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/04 01:22:29 (permalink)
    I DEMAND BACK STAGE PASSES!!

I'll settle for back door passes...

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/04 01:53:16 (permalink)
    Hey Rick,

Another cool song!

Love the drums and the 'reedy kind of synth' on the intro...

Your voice sounds good on this...I like the background vox, too.

The piano solo kills me, in a good way.

I've only got a laptop to listen on but the mix sounds good from here...

Great job, man.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/04 11:49:26 (permalink)
    Cool tune Rick.  Very edgy, and, yeah... somewhat reckless.  Love the vocals, and just the way the whole thing comes together. 
    groveendroad
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/04 12:29:48 (permalink)
    the intro is is just right, I mean short and it got my attention. I like the the vocal track alot and the tune is catchy.  The chorus vocal seems a bit out of tune at times, but I've heard that same sound out of some off my favorite groups, i mean that same sound your going for in the chorus. I like the lyric and the tune the best, this is a fun song to listen to.

Cheers, Terry

Imagine it's the 60s

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_5952498

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/04 12:46:22 (permalink)
    This song sounds like a big crazy party!! It's just so fun and loose. (which is actually an interesting choice for the music - if you just read the lyrics you would probably think it would take a different direction - but it works!!)  Enjoyed it a lot!!
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/04 20:55:36 (permalink)
    Rick
    I had a lot of fun listening to this!

Had your vibe all over it....My only crit. would be I think you have a tad too much verb in the drums...they sound a little far back at times.....

Other wise it sounds like it was a lot of fun to put together!

Also I love the updated site..(since I have not seen it in a while)

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/05 13:37:21 (permalink)
    Thumbs up on those drums Rick!! Gimmee!!!

The piano is smokin'.

That synth effect (piano?) at 2:12..alternating/panned shifted my ears around. nice one!

No mistaking your vox and those bvg's..it's who you are and the music.

Always a treat to listen to your tunes and see what's gonna be pulled outta the magic hat!!

Larry
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/05 14:59:03 (permalink)
    Interesting one :-)

Though it's too late now, I kind of wonder how it would have come across if it were just a bit faster? Sometimes small tempo changes can really change the nature of a song, and I wonder what it would be like a little faster. It might have lost some swing, but might have allowed the vocal to bounce along a little nicer.

Oh well, hindsight just looks behind you as they say. But this is something I struggle with. It's hard to gauge what the optimum tempo is until it's too late to face changing it. With a full band you can quickly try all the possibilities. For us self-recorders, it's tough.
    post edited by droddey - 2011/01/05 15:03:03

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/05 15:35:14 (permalink)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/05 16:09:10 (permalink)

This is way cool Rick. I find myself "thinking" when listening to your stuff. It isn't a
    style that would lend itself to comparisons because it's so individual. I could for example
    say to myself "what if" this or that was mixed like this or that? Only to find myself
    thinking that maybe your stuff is meant to sound the way it does.

You had at one time some strong sibilance on the vocs back when, but I haven't
    heard any of that on your latest stuff. I enjoy checking out your music.
    No How
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/06 08:50:38 (permalink)
    Hey Gary,   Thank you for popping in for a listen.  I'm really loving your latest offering.

Phil,   Nice to have your ears here.  I'm glad you liked...this one was changing it's hue every step of the way.  It used to be a far more somber piece.  Thank you.

Terry,   Those harmonies you like that remind you of earlier bands are peppered with intervals of major 2nds which are iffy and only work in passing.  I love them but they are easily sounding 'off'.  Thank you for the listen and helpful comments.

Hi Dave,   It turned into a party when i had to squeeze the vocal tracks in before my wife got home (i had one hour)  so there was little time for many retakes.  The song was once a very somber rant...i'm glad it's lightened up.  Thank you for coming by to listen.

Cliff,    That verb is inherent in the drum track.  I added no verb to it other than what's on the entire track.   I'll see what i can do.   I'm glad you like the site.   I'm not good at design but i had fun.  Thank you.

Larry,    So glad you dig Firth's take on this.  I made him watch a lot of Ricardo Montalban movies first.  That was ok but now the place smells like tequila and salsa.  Thank you, kindly for the listen and kind words.

Hi Dean,    Yes, you're probably right on with the tempo being a bit too slow.   I should redo except MY tempo is too slow.  Last year it would have been faster...next year it's gonna be a dirge.  I'm happy you stopped in to hear Here to Here.  Thank you.

Wook,    Much obliged,sir.   I appreciate the ears...and smiles

Jimmy,   That's the best compliment a writer can have.  It was made to make you think (and me).  What really changes?  And why doesn't it?  All I notice changing is my address and ability to feed my unchangeing psyche (age).  The rest goes round and round.  
    Thank you kindly for the thoughtful ears and comments!

s o n g s

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/06 16:31:06 (permalink)
    Another terrific piece Rick.  I lover the intro, percussion, and of course your signature vocals.  This is a fun, melodic number but has a bit of an edge to it.  To me it sounds like it all might blow up at some point but it all hangs together in a most wonderful manner.  How do you do that?
    Terrific.

Freddy J
    Daylaa
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/06 17:38:13 (permalink)
    WOW - Absolutely stunning song.
    I haven't got a CLUE what genre that is. It's kind of if the 60's had a fight with the 80's and then sat back to watch it on video in the 90's.

THE ONLY THING stopping me from thinking 'i would BUY this' is some timing issues on the snare (and perhaps a little too much verb and brightness).

I'm a drummer, so i notice things like that and it would bug me too much. Sort those out, and ur a winner in my book.

Sonar X3 Producer
    Rain Computer's Nimbus Z2 I7 Processor
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192
    M Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe's

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

I am 'I Woke a Giant' Hear my stuff at:
    https://soundcloud.com/i-woke-a-giant
    No How
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/07 07:57:17 (permalink)
    Freddy,    Not sure how to keep from blowing up other then to keep the wick nice and long (in this case circular).  Thank you for the listen!

Daylaa,   Timing must be the piano or vocals rushing in too soon (or too late) as the drums are midi right to the BPM.  I'll have to do some surgery.  I'm really happy you liked this.  Thank you very much for popping in to listen!

s o n g s

mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/07 10:54:26 (permalink)
    Enjoyable bit of music Rick. Not your best, but still a lot of fun to listen to.

I could be on a different planet when one of your songs pops up on a galaxy blaster(or whatever they're called out there). I would know it was you straight away, as your voice is so unique, in a very, very good way of course.

Mark.

Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/07 14:08:11 (permalink)
    Rick, is a revision in our near future?? Anticipating here... 
    No How
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/07 14:29:11 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,
    Nice to see you are back in Tune Town.  I often do reside in another galaxy, especially after 10:00pm... I do thank you for the kind words and attentive ears!
    (welcome back!)

JC,
    LMAO!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, yeah it's coming and you already critiqued the next one...you (you'll) mentioned (mention) how much it resembled the next (3rd ad infinitum...)version...REMEMBER?????????????
    Thank you!
    post edited by No How - 2011/01/07 14:34:15

s o n g s

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/07 16:31:46 (permalink)
    Another cool piece. You have such a definitive style & sound, Rick, that it makes me jealous.
    No How
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/07 17:22:36 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

Another cool piece. You have such a definitive style & sound, Rick, that it makes me jealous.

HA!  What a compliment!!!  Of course the feeling goes both ways. 
    You're too kind, Dr.

s o n g s

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/07 18:25:37 (permalink)
    very cool tune ...the vox seems just a bit out front in this one..but always...I love it cuz its YOU!!

nice work rick!
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/09 10:34:47 (permalink)
    Unmistakably you.  I hear what Freddy says about thinking it'll all blow up any minute - kind of organised chaos. Only on my lappy so hard to tell, but the drums seem to have a little to much reverb on these speakers. I might be doing you a dis-service hear but your stuff always sounds very spontaneious - like you just ran through once for levels and then hit record, played it.....job done. Next.....!

I mean that in a good way.  ;)
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/09 10:38:51 (permalink)
    You have such a way with a tune.... and that's a compliment.

Another good job.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    No How
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/10 09:52:19 (permalink)
    Hey Tom,   I'll have to adjust the envelopes on the vocal tracks...theyre all over the place as i've changed the harmonies so many times.  Thank you much for the ears and kind words!  Your singing on Paulo's last was out of this world.

Paulo,   LOL....you're estimation of my process isn't too far off considering my present situation ( 7 needy noisemaking priorities)  I fantasize about a room of my own with an actual chunk of time to work exclusively on songs but i am content right now to at least have you wonderful folks take it with some salt.  Thank you for the very attentive ears and compliment!  ps. really loved your latest presentation.

Herb,  It is the soul (not sole, see above :))joy of my life.  I never tire of it, even when all is going wrong.   I thank you for listening.
    post edited by No How - 2011/01/10 11:34:54

s o n g s

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:From Here to Here 2011/01/10 11:31:07 (permalink)
    another way cool tune Rick... imaginative and completely original... Keep em comin'...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1