Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20

Author
roomservice
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2011/01/03 05:11:14 (permalink)

Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20

Hello

Can anyone recomend a good soft drum kit to use with the vs-20?

The loops are fun but I'd like more control. I have a xiosynth that can act as a controller (apparantly) but i have no idea how these things plug together.

If i upgraded to Guitar Tracks Pro, would the drum kit in there be editable - ie, create measures and build songs up - the site isn't too clear (to my mind).

any help much appreciated - I'm such a noob :-)!!

Sometimes I amaze myself I even made it through puberty.....

12 Replies Related Threads

Strummer07
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/04 17:28:40 (permalink)
    I hope Room service won't mind me joining this thread , its a similar question that I have.
    I have the VS20 with Guitar tracks 4.1 ... which is OK , but drum tracks and midi is limited.
    Can anyone tell me what additional features are available if I upgrade to
    a) Guitar tracks Pro or
    b) Sonar Home studio 7

does one of these have distinct advantages over the other in terms of easy to use features.
    I am a guitar player who really just wants to play and make music ... not spend forever in a DAW

Thanks in advance  
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/05 19:33:19 (permalink)

Adrian, Barry - hi there guys.

GT4 is a neat program, but as you've both found out, a little limiting on what you can do with regard to MIDI editing.

Both GTPro4 and Home Studio 7 (or the newer SONAR X1 Essentials) will allow you to completely edit your drum tracks, and also allow you to quickly create drum loops and tracks of your own.

Personally, I'd also suggest you take a very serious look at Cakewalk's excellent Music Creator 5 software. It will allow you to use and fully edit MIDI (i.e. all software synthesizers - aka 'softsynths' - not just your drums) and record audio.

It's an absolute bargain at the price (I'd suggest getting the boxed version though, there's more sample content than the download) and once you get used to the workings of MIDI, you can decide if you want to step up to one of Cakewalk's more sophisticated programs.

The only limiting factor with MC5 is that it only allows two simultaneous (or one mono) input at a time. If that's going to be a problem, you will need a higher spec program.

All in all though, at just $39.99 (£35 in the UK) for the boxed version, it's a great way to start messing around with MIDI.

Incidentally, your VS-20 will act as a Controller for MC5 and any other Cakewalk product, and you'll be able to use the Boss COSM effects exactly the same as in GT4.

As far as decent softsynth drums go, I'd highly recommend purchasing Cakewalk's Session Drummer 2 - it's a great program with some really nice sounding kits, and a large sample set of loops and fills. It also has one major improvement over the Studio Instruments Drums in that you can send each part of the kit to a separate track in your project.

To explain, with SI Drums, you only end up with a single stereo track - with Session Drummer you can, for example route the snare to one track, the kick drum to another, the ride cymbal to another and so on. The benefit is that each instrument can have it's own separate EQ/compression/effects etc - a real help in making your drum tracks sound great. Taken a step further, you can then send all your separate drum tracks to their own bus, allowing you to add effects (maybe some reverb) to the whole kit, before routing that final drum mix to your Master Bus.

Although there are other softsynth drum programs which will allow multichannel recording (e.g. EZ Drummer, which is a brilliant piece of software if you wanted to splash out a bit more!), Cakewalk have recently added Session Drummer 3 to their SONAR programs, so Session Drummer 2 is currently at the download sale price of just $9.99 (or £8.99 in the UK) instead of $70!

With full MIDI editing (in whichever Cakewalk product you choose), a great kit in Session Drummer 2, and the VS-20 you'll have a very powerful set up for creating really top quality songs.

Click on these links to check out the items I've mentioned above:

* Music Creator 5

* Guitar Tracks Pro 4

* SONAR Home Studio 7

* SONAR Home Studio XL

* SONAR X1 Essentials

* Session Drummer 2: Information & $9.99/£8.99 Download

* Toontrack EZ Drummer

I hope that helps guys, and if you need any further help and advice, or want me to explain anything in more detail, just let me know.

Steve 

Edit (6/1/11) to add:

@ Adrian

Since putting this post together, I did a bit more research for you guys (Barry contacted me by PM so he already has the details) and I think I've found the perfect solution for your needs. 

Check out THIS PAGE on the Cakewalk website.

If you purchase SONAR Home Studio 7XL direct from Cakewalk as a registered customer for £69, you qualify for a free download upgrade to SONAR X1 Essentials!

X1 features Cake's brand new 'Skylight' interface so if you're thinking of staying with them, it would make sense to get used to the newer features. I'm still awaiting my delivery of X1 Producer Edition so we'll be learning the new interface together!

The beauty of purchasing HS7 and getting the free upgrade is that you'll get all the plug-ins and effects from both programs which will all be available to use in X1, as well as the effects from GT4. In fact, whichever program you use, these effects will be available in each - it's just the features (e.g. the Step Sequencer) that are program specific.

To me, it's a complete no-brainer at that price, although there will be a small delivery charge of a fiver on top for the HS7 box.

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2011/01/06 08:10:09

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Strummer07
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/06 06:47:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve   ... lots of help and great links.

Bit of a minefield really.. ..so many options !! 

Appreciate your help
    SteveStrummerUK
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/06 08:12:43 (permalink)

No problem Barry - did you get my PM OK?

Just one thing - I'm afraid it's only X1 Producer that comes with Session Drummer 3 - so you might still want to shell out the extra £8.99 for Session Drummer 2 as per my original suggestions.

Strummer07
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/06 15:54:23 (permalink)
    Thanks again Steve .and even ferreting out a great deal !! Mega !!

Sonar HS7XL purchased to day !!
    SteveStrummerUK
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/07 12:51:02 (permalink)

Nice one Barry

roomservice
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/10 17:25:22 (permalink)
    Hello there chaps

Sorry for tardiness - work got pretty full on from 8am on Tuesday and kept me busy through the weekend - so much for easing myself into 2011

First of all - Barry. Absolutely no problem you joining in (I'm sure your question was rhetorical but a nice gesture all the same old chap) and it looks like you've got what you were after.

Secondly - Steve. Thanks for all the advice and run through of the options.

After much deliberation I've also gone for the Sonar HS7 XL. I'd already purchased Session Drummer 2 (I'm impatient) and got myself into a bit of a tangle with midi but with your help I think I'm back on track.

You're right about it being a no brainer - the jury is out if I have a brain that can cope with it though!

Many thanks again for the advice and, even though I've now spent almost as much again as I did on the VS-20 (Sonar + FS-6+ cable + EV-5) I'm hoping I'm going to be pretty much future proofed for a few years ;-)

All the best

Ade

chilismaug
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/12 21:36:22 (permalink)
    After following this and a couple of related threads, general hunting around the web, not to mention buying/installing Session Drummer 2, I am getting the impression that the short answer to this topic is: NO, there's not a plug-in drum synth for the V-Studio 20 package.  

All of the answers involve buying additional software, doing the drum work there, then integrating that new work with your VS-20 work. Is that the idea or did I miss something?
    Personally, it looks like the smallest next step upward in that direction would be Music Maker 5, which I'm getting ready to order. But I'm still holding my breath in case somebody in one of these forums explains to one of us noobers who are starting to pile in, how to make something like Session Drummer work with the stock VS-20 Guitar Tracks workstation.

chilismaug
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/12 22:14:08 (permalink)
    Yep, the FAQ confirms this:

Can you tell us more about the MIDI capabilities of the V-Studio 20? 
    The V-Studio 20 was not designed to be a MIDI sequencer, think of it as a multitrack audio recording solution, that has MIDI backing tracks.  
     If you want to do detailed MIDI editing and sequencing, or work with soft synths but still use the VS-20 hardware and BOSS fx, we would recommend that you use the VS-20 with SONAR.

SteveStrummerUK
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/13 08:53:15 (permalink)

@ Charlie - check out my reply to your thread in the Guitar Tracks forum before you decide; I'd advise you take a serious look at the Home Studio 7/X1 Essentials package I advocate there, and in this thread.

SteveStrummerUK
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/13 09:01:22 (permalink)
    roomservice

Hello there chaps

Sorry for tardiness - work got pretty full on from 8am on Tuesday and kept me busy through the weekend - so much for easing myself into 2011

First of all - Barry. Absolutely no problem you joining in (I'm sure your question was rhetorical but a nice gesture all the same old chap) and it looks like you've got what you were after.

After much deliberation I've also gone for the Sonar HS7 XL. I'd already purchased Session Drummer 2 (I'm impatient) and got myself into a bit of a tangle with midi but with your help I think I'm back on track.

You're right about it being a no brainer - the jury is out if I have a brain that can cope with it though!

Many thanks again for the advice and, even though I've now spent almost as much again as I did on the VS-20 (Sonar + FS-6+ cable + EV-5) I'm hoping I'm going to be pretty much future proofed for a few years ;-)

All the best

Ade

Nice one Ade - you wont regret following this path I'm sure

Looking further down the line, Cakewalk offer its 'loyal' registered customers great price incentives as you follow their upgrade paths - both to newer versions of software you already use and also to crossgrade to their more pro-orientated software.

I started many years ago with Guitar Tracks 2 and worked my way up through GTPro2, GTPro3, Home Studio 6 & 7, SONAR 8 Studio, SONAR 8 & 8.5 Producer and now the new SONAR X1 Producer! Bearing in mind X1 Producer retails at £399, my upgrade from 8.5 only cost me £89

So when you say you are 'future-proofed' - you're right on more than one level.

Steve

roomservice
    Re:Good Software Drum Kit for VS-20 2011/01/13 18:12:26 (permalink)
    SteveStrummerUK

roomservice

Hello there chaps

All the best

Ade

Nice one Ade - you wont regret following this path I'm sure

Looking further down the line, Cakewalk offer its 'loyal' registered customers great price incentives as you follow their upgrade paths - both to newer versions of software you already use and also to crossgrade to their more pro-orientated software.

I started many years ago with Guitar Tracks 2 and worked my way up through GTPro2, GTPro3, Home Studio 6 & 7, SONAR 8 Studio, SONAR 8 & 8.5 Producer and now the new SONAR X1 Producer! Bearing in mind X1 Producer retails at £399, my upgrade from 8.5 only cost me £89

So when you say you are 'future-proofed' - you're right on more than one level.

Steve

Ahh thats good to see - I always like it when you bump into someone who has stuck with a manufacturer through a few upgrades (and I dare say one or two dissapointments along the way).

ade

ps - how on earth do you manage to post 14,000 times and still make music :-)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1