preamp question

Author
7-string_guy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2011/01/03 17:03:31 (permalink)

preamp question

much much, in theory, would the improvement be by using an Art TPS II tube preamp instead of the XLR pre's that are attached to my Delta 1010lt soundcard using a 57 on guitar cab? Noticable? If i did an A / B using the exact same settings with the exception of the preamp instead of the hot XLR would there be a difference? in eq or fattness?. which is what i want....

i know right? try it and find out. i guess what im asking is  - are tube preamps better than a so-called preamped XLR right off the soundcard? yeah thats what i meant...

6 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:preamp question 2011/01/03 17:24:19 (permalink)
    I'd suggest you go read a bit about tube pre amps.

You'll learn that there are many different designs... some that are made to sound wonderful and make your music sound beautiful... and some that are made to simply make your music sound different for the lowest price possible.

There are many nice sounding preamps that don't have any tubes. Nice sounding tube pre amps seem to start at about $500 per channel.

best regards,
    mike

rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re:preamp question 2011/01/03 17:30:52 (permalink)
    The sound should be different, perhaps more desirable for what you are doing, though to give a difinitive answer on which is "better" is an impossible matter of opinion.  Some interface pramps are much much more "high end" than either the ART or Delta.  For a good clean, low noise, preamp with a nice character, I doubt either would completely satisfy.   
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:preamp question 2011/01/03 23:49:07 (permalink)
    Almost all the cheaper preamps sound a lot alike.  The Art "starved" plate is simply one of these designs w/ a tube running at low voltage for output amplification.  You have to spend a couple of hundred bucks or more to get a "better" preamp, tho the ARt does sound different w/ the tube.  I really wouldn't think there'd be much difference between the two, tho the ART sounds nice if you want a fluffy bass.  I've used it on stage and in a home studio and it works fine for that application.  But unless you can spring some big bucks, preamps wouldn't be on my list unless you just need numbers.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:preamp question 2011/01/04 00:14:06 (permalink)
    IMO...............

The Art will be a noticeable improvement over the 10/10Lt pre's.

Artificial,smoke in mirrors or not, the ART TPS II will provide more warmth than the 10/10LT and more gain. The TPS II will also provide a very moderate variety in sound. Bonus?

I've used the 10/10LT (quite alot)and those pre's are very weak. They can also induce a bit more noise than outboard pre's, as that card is completely in your PC.......no break out box.........Pretty much horrible?

You should be able to find a used TPS II for around $100.00 

An ART MPA Pro I or II will provide more headroom and thickness than the TPS series. You can find these for well under $200.00 if you look around enough.

With that card, you'll not get the full benefit of expensive pre's any ways, but it is a solid card for project recording,kinda like an old rack Reverb that delivers every time.

Are they pro gear.............only in the hands of pro's

Are they better than the Deltas pre's....

I think so.

Good Luck
    post edited by zungle - 2011/01/04 00:19:54
    JamesGallant
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:preamp question 2011/01/04 00:21:41 (permalink)
    I use the Behringer Ultra Gain Pro with tube in it.. $99 and change, aussom. Miles of gain, cheap and practical.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:preamp question 2011/01/04 08:51:40 (permalink)
    zungle

IMO...............

The Art will be a noticeable improvement over the 10/10Lt pre's.

Artificial,smoke in mirrors or not, the ART TPS II will provide more warmth than the 10/10LT and more gain. The TPS II will also provide a very moderate variety in sound. Bonus?

I've used the 10/10LT (quite alot)and those pre's are very weak. They can also induce a bit more noise than outboard pre's, as that card is completely in your PC.......no break out box.........Pretty much horrible?

You should be able to find a used TPS II for around $100.00 

An ART MPA Pro I or II will provide more headroom and thickness than the TPS series. You can find these for well under $200.00 if you look around enough.

With that card, you'll not get the full benefit of expensive pre's any ways, but it is a solid card for project recording,kinda like an old rack Reverb that delivers every time.

Are they pro gear.............only in the hands of pro's

Are they better than the Deltas pre's....

I think so.

Good Luck

+1.  I've used the 1010LT as well.  I bought it because it was inexpensive and had a couple of mic pres built in.  they were horrible.  I very quickly learned that I needed an external mic pre and just changed the jumpers on the 1010LT card to use those 2 inputs as LINE instead of MIC.

And it seems that zungle and I did the same thing!  I also bought the ART TPS II and still have and use it (well - I bought another cheap pre first and hated it as well, THEN bought the TPS II!).  The TPS II is a starved plate design but it is really worth the price and probably worth more than they are sold for.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1