HELP with EDITING after RECORDING

Author
Newbie123
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/01/04 23:46:50 (permalink)

HELP with EDITING after RECORDING

I always wanted a co3u mic. (software sonar le 8.5) and finally! i got it for this Christmas.
but i guess i wished for the wrong mic because i am so lost at using the software. it came with no manual. it's almost like a puzzle to me. I go to "help topic," but it have terms i do not fully understand.

All i want to do is sing and edit after-wards and perhaps make the voice sound a little better.
Anyone, who knows. Please help and let me know. thank you in advance!

3 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:HELP with EDITING after RECORDING 2011/01/05 02:37:02 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum!

At the top of this forum there's a sticky about using the Samson.
    The USB-mics are very problematic and do not work well in music making. Your PC sees it as an independent soundcard, and that causes problems, because you can't use the mic as your only soundcard.

I suppose the help file includes what the manual would, but I don't know 'cause I've never seen the LE version. There aren't many software anymore with a printed manual.

Also, it's good habit to add your PC and software specs in a signature. Those are the basic info you need to give if you expect anyone to be able to give proper answers.

Learning to use these apps requires some homework if everything is new, terminology included. It can get on your nerves, I know. 

And finally...it's quite unclear to me what your actual question is. You don't expect anyone to write a whole manual here, do you?
    post edited by Kalle Rantaaho - 2011/01/05 02:39:51

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Newbie123
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:HELP with EDITING after RECORDING 2011/01/10 01:16:49 (permalink)
    No of course i don't expect anyone to write a whole manual here lol
    That will probably be 6-10 pages? No, i won't read that much anyway.
    I just wanted the basic steps, that's all.
    I guess it's not that simple and I have lots of homework then huh. :/

my question was, after i sang and have it record.
    how do I edit the voice? vocal editing?

Something like this --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7yhfuvmHiQ

Thanks for the tip though, I'm going through help topic and reading about vocals.
    I hope to find my answer. thanks.

post edited by Newbie123 - 2011/01/10 01:45:09
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:HELP with EDITING after RECORDING 2011/01/10 05:40:57 (permalink)
    The actual SONAR manual is 1500 pages. If reading 10 pages is too much for you, the learning may take some time :o)

"How do I edit the voice" - you ask. Well, if it's a good take what kind of editing does it need? What kind of music is it? Are you after a choir boy sound or Pantera-groan? A male or a female voice?

The most common first steps are adding a little delay or reverb and some compression. Doubling the voice either by singing it twice or duplicating the track is very common as well.
    And often those remain the main steps, except for some EQ perhaps, or leaving the doubling out :o/.

There's no magic. The recorded material is what it is.

It would be easier to answer if you asked something like:" How do I create a xxx-like effect to a male rock vocal?"

www.tweakheadz.com is a site with excellent guides about most anything concerning home recording. It's worth visiting.
    post edited by Kalle Rantaaho - 2011/01/10 05:43:56

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1