How to add effects to a previous recording.

Author
dscoyne
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
2011/01/05 22:22:10 (permalink)

How to add effects to a previous recording.

Even to me, a newbie, this question seems so basic that I find it hard to believe that I need to ask it.  I am doing my first audio recording (a vocal), having only worked with MIDI before.  I have not previously used any effects.

I am trying out the VX-64 Vocal Strip to try to enhance my already recorded voice. I can certainly hear the changes as I go through the presets.  But everything I am doing is affecting the PLAYBACK of the recorded vocal.  What I don't know is how to RECORD the changes as part of the vocal.

Can anyone tell me what the step-by-step procedure would be to do this?

Thanks.

7 Replies Related Threads

DaGunz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:How to add effects to a previous recording. 2011/01/05 22:53:09 (permalink)
    Hello dscoyne,  First, either select the whole track or highlight just the part of the track that you want to process.  Then go to Edit\Bounce to Track and select new track or the track that you want the effected audio to be placed. Done!  Now, you have the origional uneffected track, incase you want to change something, and you have another track with the processed vocal.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:How to add effects to a previous recording. 2011/01/06 06:02:26 (permalink)
    Yep. It's just like with MIDI soft synths, bounce to track. I'm sure you don't even want to edit the track destructively (?).

If your PC has enough power and the project isn't very heavy, bouncing isn't a necessity, but many good FX are quite CPU-hungry so it's a good habit.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    uncleswede
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    Re:How to add effects to a previous recording. 2011/01/06 07:33:37 (permalink)
    Or you can simply highlight the track/clip and select Process - Apply audio effects (that may not be the exact name of the menu option - not at my DAW right now).  This is, of course, destructive. My advice would be to not make any destructive changes unless you're forced to by your DAW running out of steam or you have completely finished with the project and want to store it in a futureproof state.

Hopefully not going OT but what I do with definitely completed projects is

a) bounce all pure audio tracks (including effects and automation) to new tracks
    b) archive all the original pure audio tracks
    c) freeze all soft synths
    d) record all external midi synth output to new stereo audio tracks.

That way, when you return to the project in N years time using a different PC with maybe different plugins, different outboard MIDI modules and a new version of Sonar, you have, as a worst case, all the effected tracks available as plain audio.
    post edited by uncleswede - 2011/01/06 07:35:43

---------------------------------------------------------
    How to fly - throw yourself at the ground and miss
    S8.5PE, i7-920 (XP), 6Gb RAM, Phonic Helix 12, Axiom 61 controller, JM VC3Q and mic, plus more...
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:How to add effects to a previous recording. 2011/01/06 09:42:33 (permalink)
    What I don't know is how to RECORD the changes as part of the vocal.

There's really no need to do that since when you export to a WAV file the effects will be applied.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:How to add effects to a previous recording. 2011/01/06 18:20:18 (permalink)
    Ditto what Dave is saying, You can add as many efxs busses as your CPU can handle, there is no reason to print ( as you say "record")  efxs unless your running out of processing power.
    This is the normal way to add efxs. You really want the option to adjust things when you get to final mix down.  It's also common to share the efxs with other tracks. Nothing makes for a mushy mix like too many different reverbs and delay efxs.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

dscoyne
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:How to add effects to a previous recording. 2011/01/09 01:01:30 (permalink)
    Thanks, guys, for the responses.  But I am still a little confused.  Certainly, I see that it's worthwhile to be working on a copied track so the original track is not destroyed (or vice versa).  I guess I don't know when the effects I am applying actually become part of the effected track.  And I guess that "record" was the wrong term.

I've got a feeling this is very simple.  Does it happen when I SAVE the file after the last effects that I applied to that track? 

The reason I have had a hard time seeing this is because as I was testing the presets on VX-64, the track was constantly changing, and I didn't know what to do to keep it with the changes that I finally decided on.  So, is the key word, SAVE, if I am not yet ready to export it?  Can I then close down the VX-64 and keep the changes?

Thanks............Don

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:How to add effects to a previous recording. 2011/01/09 01:16:37 (permalink)
    This will end your confusion. Sonar is Non Destructive. When you add an effect, it does change the way you hear the track you added it to, but you always have the option to delete that effect, add other effects and change the effects at any time. Its non destrcutive!

When you save or save as and close out of SONAR, the effects save with the project. You do not lose anything
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1