Paid media work - Any tips?

Author
mattplaysguitar
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1992
2011/01/07 04:27:50 (permalink)

Paid media work - Any tips?

Well I friend of mine recommended me to a company who is starting up in media and looking for a sound guy to record voiceovers and compose back tracks for promotional videos and general mixing of all these things. They sound pretty interested which is nice to hear. I am a mechanical engineer (just completed my degree) so have no formal training in audio engineering (but 6-7 years experience). I have done a few little things like this before but nothing serious or paid.

They asked me for a ballpark rate at which I would charge and my research found that studios in Australia charge upwards from $50AU per hour (this is the bare minimum). So I figured $30AU per hour was appropriate considering my level of experience and lack of official qualifications. To put that in perspective for the US folk, a typical factory warehouse job in australia might be $17-$20 per hour. As a mechanical engineer I would probably start out on around $30 per hour. So for a job like this which is just work when there is work, I think $30 is reasonable.

No specific questions here. Just looking for any general advice or tips from people who may have done similar work before. A friend suggested I get myself some nice sound FX samples for potential use in commercials that I may mix so I'll do that. I'll have to widen my knowledge of synthesiser use as well. I guess I'll be mainly mixing for internet distribution as well so any tips for that might come in handy too.

Cheers!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

8 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Paid media work - Any tips? 2011/01/07 06:19:09 (permalink)
    With that in mind... think in terms of $30 for your self and calculate the cost of your overhead in and add to that.

So if you run it all on laptop and a two channel USB box and some headphones maybe $5-$10 more.

If you have a room with expensive gear that you pay utilities, rent, and taxes on then you figured that in and make a little profit off it as well.

$50 for field work with a mobile rig and $70 for a small studio with a voice booth are very common number around here.

Don't discount the life experience and professionalism your formal background provides... and don't treat your self like a audio intern.

Have Fun!!!

best regards,
    mike

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Paid media work - Any tips? 2011/01/07 08:26:44 (permalink)
    also - is this is "job shopper" kind of position?  by that I mean - you're not employed by the company hiring you, but you are an independent contractor working for yourself and charging them for a service?  if so then you have no benefits.  working as a mechanical engineer for someone else for $30/hr is just the base pay, you'd also get sick pay, vacation pay, insurance, etc.  so your total compensation is greater than $30/hr.  but as a shopper you'd have to charge 1.5X to 2X the per hour rate to cover those kinds of expensese.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    mattplaysguitar
    Re:Paid media work - Any tips? 2011/01/07 19:26:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips guys! Beagle, yes I imagine I would be working as an independent contractor. Some good points to talk through with them. Cheers

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Paid media work - Any tips? 2011/01/07 19:50:54 (permalink)
    A very good photographer friend once gave me some great advice. First you have to calculate your survival rate. Add up your entire cost for a year to sit at home and do nothing. So that would mean food, rent, mortgage, energy costs, phone, car, all of it. This is not a bad thing to do anyway. It might come to $30,000 say. Then decide how many hours are available to work in a year. eg 40 weeks at 36 hours a week. Multiply those together to get a total number of hours. Divide this final number into your total to do nothing for a year cost. And you might come up with say $25/hr. But this is only the survival rate remember not your hourly rate. As Mike says it is only your overhead so you add what you would like to make on top of that eg another $30 per hour so you end up with your final hourly rate which might be eg $55/Hr.

It is not enough to just survive only, you have to make some money per hour as well. Take it from someone who is quite experienced at this, $30/Hr would make some production companies run a mile. It means you are too cheap and amateur. So don't be afraid to charge a reasonable amount. Remember in Melbourne people are paying over $100/Hr just to get voice overs done etc and music composers charge a lot to compose music for specific productions as well. But if you do charge a healthy rate you also have to be able to deliver. Quality voice overs and great music that is well produced.

I usually have three levels of rates. eg $60/hr for general audio work and that includes voice overs. (BTW Voice overs require editing time not just the recording time) $85/hr for mixing and $100/hr for mastering. You should be able to master a track in one hour. With music it is a bit different. You cannot charge by the hour because one 2 minute cue might take you 5 hours to make and another 2 minute cue might take 20 hours. I try to charge per finished minute. With music just try to work how much music is required in total for a given project and come to an agreement about what they are going to pay for say 20 minutes of music etc.. This is where your hourly rate comes in above. If they are willing to pay say $3000 for 20 minutes of music then you need to divide your hourly rate eg $55/hr into that amount and make sure you get the music all done in that time eg  approx 60 hours. (And you would not be using X1 to do it either This is where programs like Presonus S1 come into their own, fast and stable.

There are some copyright issues too. They will often want to own all the music and you should charge even more or load the music cost to cover it. They will re use your music cues over and over. It is good if you can keep ownership of the music but that is often hard. Just let it go. If you do create some excellent music which often happens you can always expand upon those ideas and develop them further eg for a production library etc.

You might be lucky to get a production company to take you on at a lower rate and learn a lot as you go as well. Then they can nurture you along the way. I started that way. They like it when you are close to them and they can park easily at your premises too. You have to make good coffee especially in Melbourne.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/01/07 20:31:07

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:Paid media work - Any tips? 2011/01/08 17:44:57 (permalink)
    Great advice there from Jeff. $30/hr is way too cheap, and I think that in these situations, it's best to have alternative means of billing eg. per finished minute. Companies need to accurately budget! Also, if you don't already have an idea, find out how much these companies spend on their productions - it can be huge! a) they can usually afford to pay you properly, even when they say they can't (the phone call always begins with how they've got no money) and b) there's that strange psychological phenomenon, whereby we like to pay lots of money for something - it reassures us that we're getting a quality product, and makes us feel special.

And yes, most media work requires several very good sample libraries, which ain't cheap - a cost which you have to factor in to your fee. You say 'yes' to a job, and you might actually be out of pocket once you've bought the sample libraries you need, replaced the hard drive which just failed, paid session musos etc. There are a lot of costs involved that you may not have thought of.

Paul Farrer has written some excellent articles for Sound On Sound on the topic, have a look at them.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    mattplaysguitar
    Re:Paid media work - Any tips? 2011/01/08 21:09:39 (permalink)
    Thanks again guys. Plenty of good advice here which I have taken on board. I'll check out those SoS articles too.

Cheers :)

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Paid media work - Any tips? 2011/01/09 21:49:15 (permalink)
    I like Jeff's advice.

I agree 100%. I started a security installation business 19 years ago. The best advice I got was charge enough to be in business next year, and the next and the next.

Underpricing in any field is just as bad as overpricing. If anything I tend to over price and I project the image of total competence of being able to handle the job and do it better than anyone else..... thereby costing less to the customer in the long run. I then have to deliver what I promise.

Do the same in the endeavor you are undertaking.  I'd start at or slightly more then the lower range studios in the area.... if you do good work, word will spread and you will get more work than you can handle.... that means it;s time to raise your rates to weed out the bottom feeders... and move on to the ones willing to pay for your services....

That's what I did... I started my contracting biz at rates below the competition. A wise business man and friend told me I was working to cheap and that I should raise my rates immediately. I did. and I raised them again a year or two later, and again... and now... I'm not telling what I charge but I'm usually the highest paid contractor on any given job site, and I'm not afraid to bill those hours.... you need to be the same....and my customers know that they are getting the best service.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/01/09 21:53:10

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:Paid media work - Any tips? 2011/01/11 08:46:40 (permalink)
    I have to agree with both Jeff and Herb...

My brother owns a heating and ac business.....and he ain't cheap!

but he is so busy that now he has a business partner and seven guys with two office assistants all working for him .............and he cannot keep up!.....

on the flip side ....He L...O...V....E...S.... to work.....he is the first to tell me that he is not the best in his business but he delivers a superior product and service.....

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob