Recording Bass using Piano Roll

Author
Dr Philip Pollock
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/01/08 04:35:29 (permalink)

Recording Bass using Piano Roll

Hi Guys

I'm a newbie to Guitar Pro4 and I'm struggling with creating my own bass lines for tracks. I don't want to use patterns available and want to add my own to tracks. I can use record both my own guitar tracks and use available drum patterns, but I can't figure out how to create bass lines. Can anyone give me an idiot's walk-through about how to do this without using a bass to record??!! Do I use piano roll or what?

Cheers for any help

Philip

4 Replies Related Threads

xxxlambo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Recording Bass using Piano Roll 2011/01/21 15:52:50 (permalink)
    It depends on what you have.  If you don't have a MIDI controller (i.e. an electric piano) then yes you can use the piano roll and mouse click the notes in.  My personal opinion is that will be painful, but I know there are people that do it.  I usually use the piano roll to clean up any mistakes I made from playing on the piano, since I'm not really a piano player. 

Also I believe you can enter notes via the staff view using your mouse if you prefer.  I haven't personally done that at all so I'm not sure how easy that might be. 

if you don't have a piano to use one thing you could do if you don't mind spending a little money is getting a small keyboard, perhaps a couple of octaves.  If you need the notes being played to be an octave or 2 higher or lower, you could always highlight the notes played in the piano roll and drag them up or down.  You wouldn't need anything fancy, just something to talk to the computer (aka a controller).  Much easier than mouse clicks, but that is just my opinion.

Hope this helps
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Recording Bass using Piano Roll 2011/01/22 10:02:09 (permalink)

Hi there Philip, welcome to the forum.

Matt's got you covered on most aspects here, the only thing I'll add is that if you use the Piano Roll (PRV) to create a bassline, it doesn't have to be too tedious.

Providing there are parts of the bass line that repeat at various points throughout your song, you can convert the various patterns you wish to use into 'Groove Clip Loops'. There's also good old copy and paste for larger passages (such as verses or choruses) - even if you want subtle variations in these throughout the song, as Matt says, you can use the PRV to make small adjustments.

The copy/paste technique is pretty simple - I'd first make certain you have your 'Snap To Grid' turned on and set at the correct resolution; for instance in regular 4|4 time, most basslines can be broken down into one measure (bar) parts so the resolution can be set to 'Whole' - in any case, it is always best to set a resolution of some sort so that the split points and the paste points can be aligned exactly.

A Groove Clip Loop avoids the need for the copy/paste method in some circumstances. For example, create a one or two measure bass part in the PRV. When you switch back to Track View, you'll see the part you've just created in the MIDI track of your bass lane. Right click on the clip you've just created and and select Groove Clip Looping from the options.

If you now hover your cursor over the right hand edge of the clip, the pointer will change to a rectangle/arrow - holding down the left mouse button you will now be able to drag the pattern across your project to the right. As long as you keep dragging, GTP4 will keep automatically copying your loop!

In the meantime, there are some screenshots relating to entering and editing MIDI data I did in this thread that might help, just click on THIS LINK to go straight there.

There's also some great info specific to Studio Instruments Bass in THIS VIDEO by Cakewalk's Robin Kelly.

If there's anything else you need to know Philip, or a better explanation, just fire away.

Steve

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2011/01/22 10:03:43

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

xxxlambo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Recording Bass using Piano Roll 2011/01/24 17:26:46 (permalink)
    Good point on the groove clips.  I do use those a lot and it is a really nice feature, however I usually use them on the drums... since I'm not a drummer either  
    rosesmth43
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Recording Bass using Piano Roll 2011/01/25 00:41:50 (permalink)
    For creating to the music there is many things require for that. It is not easy to make the music.The good music take the time for the  different type of things which are require in that. The recording for the music will be doing using the piano that is good but in now a days there are different type of instruments are discovered for the making the good music.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1