Remember - extreme metal song

Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
2011/01/08 11:17:14 (permalink)

Remember - extreme metal song

http://soundcloud.com/markhaigh/remember

mixed a bit hot, will have another go this week. then it'll be the forum song and some rock for the chairwotrocks. will be having a listen to the other tunes on here this week too, back to normal!

anyhow, enjoy, or try to... (or pretend to!)

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd

21 Replies Related Threads

thalweg
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 571
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/08 11:25:25 (permalink)
    Man I wish I could double kick like that.  It sure was a hot recording...but not that bad in my cans.  You got the loudness to the max I think.

I'm trying hard to understand rough vocal treatment...but the other vocals you did that sounded more "normal" were superb.

I've been really digging drums lately...so that might be whats influencing this next call...but I'd bring the drums up...at least the kick and snare.

Cheers, thanks for sharing

My Music/Video Channel:

www.youtube.com/tonehook
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/09 04:20:46 (permalink)
    I ain't scared of it..

One of the best of these that you've done lately Mark, I really like your 'normal' vocals, the harmonies were excellent. Guitar leads too, very melodic and yearning. You have that knack of using dynamics to get tension & release, works very well here.

Great track.

James
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/09 06:23:57 (permalink)
    had me grinning out the gate.....your a trip dude...how your room doesn't catch of fire when you do your death-metal vox I'll never know...lol

BTW love the lil lead riff around 220ish...love the way it doubles near the end of that part..

this is a damn good tune!!..love the change @ 3:00ish....I think I would have like it to fade (out) a bit longer and have a bit more silence space beofre she knocks back in.....

great job me brudda!!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/09 10:00:37 (permalink)
    The song is pretty cool...

Almost a "brick" but not quite.... you missed the tops.... but not by much..

I liked the normal vocals for a couple of reasons.... first, they were normal sounding and had nice harmony, second but more importantly, they sat better in the mix, they were a part of the song. The harsh vox seemed to be setting on top of the mix and not as well integrated into it...

I like the middle part alot.

thumbs up

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mgh
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/10 17:51:13 (permalink)
    thanks Thal and James and Tom and Herb! busy week on this forum! i'll be listening to the other posts here tomorrow in some monster session...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/10 19:21:15 (permalink)
    I tried.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/10 19:40:18 (permalink)
    Mark, I like this , although for the life of me I cannot decifer the words on the scary vox part. The "chorus" vox and harmony are outstanding and need to be punched up. Nice guitar melody and harmony worthy of a better spot in the mix. Its cool and very powerful............waiting for the final mix.........Ron

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/10 21:31:48 (permalink)
    Man, you just get to it right out of the gate! Very cool.

I like the contrast between your vocal styles...the harmonies are real nice, too.

Also great use of melody and dynamics...

Listening to the fade out I'm always impressed when guys like you, who can play a bazillion notes a second, opt for a slower, more melodic approach.

Well done.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    mgh
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/11 17:25:43 (permalink)
    robby - hey dude i appreciate trying! silent night it ain't....:-)

ron - don't worry, neither can I! i took some words from a song i wrote 15 yrs ago but i couldn't tell you which ones! i need to try and work it from the ground up, carve some sonic room for those vocals and leads...

gary - thanks for your kind comments dude, i wish i were a better singer cos i can come up with the tunes...just not the performance! hence the swathes of verb and delay...oh, and v-vocal!

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/11 21:38:22 (permalink)
    Mark,
    This is way cool.  Very inventive piece of music with lush extremes and astounding guitar work.  (Those breaks were tasty.)
    Really enjoyed this a lot.
    You're a creative monster.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/11 22:11:22 (permalink)
    Great song mgh.

Nothing that I hear that I can really criticize, the whole thing is really tight and sounds great to me.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/12 03:48:15 (permalink)
    Hey, Mark,

How are you, buddy?  Doing great, I hope!

This is really excellent Black Metal!  Thick guitar textures and great playing, and I really like the harmony vocals and the smooth break around 3:15 before the guitar solos.

I agree with Gary about the nice use of melody and dynamics, you're stuff is always so musically "interesting" and tasteful.

Nice work, have a good one!
    Bob
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/12 04:52:49 (permalink)

This is really cool  , I like all the changes going on here .
    What type of drum software are you using , I really need to invest in something else besides Addictive Drums .

Cool song I like it ! Radio

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/12 07:04:45 (permalink)
    This really grabs me...mostly the drums. They are killer. The rest all sounds good too and a real good mixing job.

String Jammer
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/12 14:25:55 (permalink)
    Despite the astonishingly proven metal guitar-orchestratons ... mounting and incrementing higher and higher (already in the heights)

... my ears incline toward hearing more clarity of the vocs (both demons and (male) angels)  Somehow, I suspect that will never happen in black metal.  (I've always been in the camp that lyrics must be intelligible to edify)

The angels seem to employ British psychedelia to counteract the demon(s) in another spiritual battle of good vs. evil (which is how my troubled soul 'interprets' things).

Notwithstanding my dribble: On 2nd listen I feel like I've suddenly been dropped off into musical armegeddon (past Revelation's seals and trumpets) with the vocs/thunders too wonderful to need interpreting.  Also, the 1st half of the piece sounds like a pre-finale (to my ears) ... as do a lot of your other rising pomp pieces.  I think this is

10/10, my fav of yours to date.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Daylaa
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/12 14:47:25 (permalink)
    This is absolutely fantastic - Real 'cliff hanger' of an experience. Harmonies are bone chillingly good - but they could use a little brightness. Also the Ride cymbal that comes in a couple of times has an odd frequency which disagrees with me. Very slight crits tho.

I would love to hear this in a stadium.

Sonar X3 Producer
    Rain Computer's Nimbus Z2 I7 Processor
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192
    M Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe's

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

I am 'I Woke a Giant' Hear my stuff at:
    https://soundcloud.com/i-woke-a-giant
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/12 16:26:50 (permalink)
    Cool!  I really like the sustained chords you use in the chorus which is not the usual minor key.  This make it very melodic.  The drums were fantastic.  The interlude at 3:15 has very nice change of pace.  Overall great effort and it shows the amount of work that went into this piece.
    StudioCat57
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/13 11:10:04 (permalink)
    That is some serious heavy sh*t!! Reminds me in a way of Dimmu Borgir, one of my fav metal bands!!! Excellent writing! Being a drummer, I thought the drums could come up in the mix, all the playing and singing is excellent!!

Thanks for sharing!!

P-4 3.0ghz- 3 gigs ram
    Sonar 6.021 Producer
    DM-3200
    Motu 2408mk3
    Lots of VST's
    mgh
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/14 12:16:10 (permalink)
    Rick, Bub, Bob, Scott, Radio, Philip, Daylaa, Vechung and Studiocat...

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree with some of the comments ie the ride timbre and (relative) volume, i also think the toms could come forward. funny how some people want the drums more forward, some like em as is - in this style of metal you tend to find the drums almost inaudible at times, the snare in particular disappears into a blast beating soup. tis a difficult balance...

anyhow, i always appreciate people posting, as i know you all do, so again thanks for taking the time, especially in a style of music which is as alien to most of you (and is 'difficult'). as i said on another song, the standard on this forum is so high and getting better all the time, and a lot of that is because of the mutual support we all give each other. 'lurking' and learning is just fine by me! if it helps people to get the confidence to post their stuff here in the end. ok, off my soapbox!
    post edited by mgh - 2011/01/14 12:17:40

dacookster
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/14 14:58:20 (permalink)
    Mark

I'll agree with the Dimmu comment....you totally capture the Euro-metal vibe.  Good, evil sounding chord progression on the verse, but I'm not a huge fan of what you've done with the chorus. 

I think the best part of the song is in the middle, where you start out with a Judas Priest-ish riff and build everything from there.....taking it down to laid back then building up again, you did an EXCELLENT job of that, and if that doesn't get your blood flowing, you're probably undead!
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Remember - extreme metal song 2011/01/14 15:18:24 (permalink)
    Loved the faux-Alice-In-Chains vocal harmony around 1:00. You sang that terrifically.

This reminds me why I never got really good at guitar: this stuff is just too hard!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1