Winter - new version of Janet's track (updated mix 19 jan )

Author
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
2011/01/09 11:39:01 (permalink)

Winter - new version of Janet's track (updated mix 19 jan )

I was listening to this piece by Janet a while back and this what was going through my head as I listened. Ok not exactly what I heard in my head, cos that sounded a lot better, but anyway, I sent it to her and she liked it and thought I should post it in here, so here it is.....

Winter

** 12 Jan - update - altered as per feedback - hopefully better now !

19 Jan - update - tweaked reverb and vocal mix
post edited by paulo - 2011/01/20 13:31:19

15 Replies Related Threads

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/10 16:06:16 (permalink)
    I normally go in for a few listens prior to posting...I caught this briefly at home yesterday and I remember wanting the vox to be a bit cleaner/clearer....and I also think I wanted it centered a bit more as she leaned to the left quite a bit as I recall.......
    but now I can't seem to get the player to run and give her a second/third listen?

kk...I'll pop back in later...
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/10 16:21:28 (permalink)
    Paulo,
    It's a whole bunch of very cool ideas.  Vocals are very good too...but the processing isn't mycupoftea.  I think it's too bright perhaps and maybe too ambient and not enough warm verby-ness...all just subjective stuff...
    Very nice interpretation indeed.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/10 16:26:03 (permalink)
    I love the melody, really works well.

The vocals sound like you high passed them around 500hz; no bottom or presence. That may be what you are going for, but not the way it is arranged now.

Now send me those Spockpit recording already!
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/11 19:49:25 (permalink)
    Paulo
    i loved this work....

I think you have done justice to it....In fact while i was listening I swear I hear John Lennon singing......

the only suggestion I have is that I think that there is too much verb in there..everything sits too far back kind of like you are in a big room at one end and I was listening at the other.....so it kind of made things hard to hear....(but of course I'm half deaf anyways )

other wise I like the tune , you have done justice to it , you have a wonderful voice .....just need a little production work and it will be perfect...

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    paulo
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/12 03:50:44 (permalink)
    Tom - thanks for the ears fella  - you were right about the panning - must have nudged the panning fader by accident - wasn't intended to be that way - should have checked better on soundclick - d'oh !  Sorted now. I've altered the reverb too.

No-how - yeah, I hear ya. I was trying a new (to me) method that I had been reading about of applying several reverbs - epic fail lol ! Obviously more work required on that one.

Jamesyoyo - thanks for listening - I'm glad you liked the melody - one of those that I just heard in my head on first listen. I guess Janet should take the credit there - her composition made it easy . I've altered the vox eq and reverb too now, so if you get chance let me know if it's better. The other stuff should be nestling in your inbox :)

Clifford - thanks for your comments and taking the time to listen. I've made some alterations now, so hopefully better. I'm still just groping in the dark with all this stuff really - always find it tricky to get the vox to sit right, so this feedback is great for at least showing me what not to do. Thanks again for your time.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/12 07:40:05 (permalink)
    This was a great collab by the two of you. It was a fun listen once I got past the Pac Man and Grey's Anatomy pop-ups.

String Jammer
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/12 14:41:34 (permalink)
    Astonishing vox and lyrics ... fits the cold spells and winter melancholy here as well.

Hey!  We're all needing some better weather!

Much much sweeter and hopeful than Lennon's contrived performances (to my troubled soul).  I never pondered that you and Janet could collab so well together. 

This is utterly lovely to my ears.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Daylaa
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/12 14:53:27 (permalink)
    Hey Paulo - i like this lots - i can hear Lennon too.
    Great team effort on this track. Great touching vocal, perhaps a little bright sounding, but that in itself adds to the retro sound i think it possesses. Very atmospheric - and true to the context.

Sonar X3 Producer
    Rain Computer's Nimbus Z2 I7 Processor
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192
    M Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe's

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

I am 'I Woke a Giant' Hear my stuff at:
    https://soundcloud.com/i-woke-a-giant
    thepogue
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/13 08:23:55 (permalink)
    yea..much much better...I'd still peel off a bit of highs on the vox but again...great job!

I'm shooting you an email.

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/13 09:03:34 (permalink)
    I haven't listened to this for awhile so I came back for a listen.  It sure is sounding good!  Nice job!  :-) 

It should be noted that Herb is playing the guitars and Jimmy's on bass, so it's a 4-way collab. :-) 

Beautiful, Paulo.
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/13 09:32:27 (permalink)
    Bravo guys. Great work Paulo as far as writing and singing go. I concur with everyone else about the vocal processing. Kind of over the top me thinks. But then again, I'm not a big fan of any vocal effects that are hearable.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

paulo
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/14 11:47:25 (permalink)
    Scotty - not sure what you mean there fella - been on the ale again ? - but thanks for the ears and comment.

Philip - what can I say  ? Praise indeed, thank you so much. I know what you mean about it being an unlikey collab in some ways, but that makes it all the more intersesting to me. I think it's good to step outside of musical comfort zones occasionally and just try something a little different. Sometimes it works, sometimes maybe not, all we can do is try. If you're interested, there's another collab with Janet on my  soundclick page if you missed it first time around (Meteor Strike). Thanks again for your comments - you're very kind.

Daylaa - Lennon again huh ? Well, I was born about a mile away from him, but that's about the only link. I don't hear that myself, but it has been said before, but usually by Americans. I don't mean anything by that, just that I've only literally only been told that by Americans before. Anyhow, glad you liked it. I'm still working on the vox - found a couple of stray tracks that had somehow become un-muted which was part of the prob, but I also agree that some tweakage is still required. BTW is that Dah-beh as in Crawley Town 2 Dah-beh 1 ? ;)

Tom - thanks and thanks !

Janet - thanks and take a bow yourself. You're right of course, no intention here to ignore Herb & Jimmy's contribution, just that I figured that had already been covered in your original thread, but I guess I should have mentioned that for those who maybe never saw it first time around - my bad !

Timidi - thanks for the ears and feedback. I hear what you say about the processing - I'm still working on making it better As I've mentioned in another reply, part of the problem was a a hidden track from an earlier attempt that had somehow become unmuted, but there is still work to do I know - wish I actually knew what to do rather than just trial and error, but I guess that's the only way to learn.

post edited by paulo - 2011/01/14 12:11:54
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/14 11:56:16 (permalink)
    another excellent track. man, the standard on the board is so high these days! brings Janet's song up a few notches. vocals, guitar and bass all compliment the piano well. my only nit would be the drums, specifically the amount of verb on those crashes (and maybe too many crashes?), makes it sound like it was recorded in an aircraft hangar. otherwise...GREAT!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    paulo
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/20 06:05:34 (permalink)
    MGH - Thanks for listening and commenting, I appreciate your ears, especially as it's probably not the kind of thing you'd ordinarily listen t, which is a credit to you. When I listened again I decided you were right, so I've altered the whole songs reverb some and toned down the crashes now so hopefully it's better. 
    thepogue
    Re:Winter - new version of Janet's track 2011/01/21 07:42:22 (permalink)
    nice job Paul...the verb (or lack there of) sound much more cozy...i cant get too far off on the mix as I'm on a laptop,,,but I can tell it works better!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1