New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos

Author
whack
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1188
2011/01/09 14:20:05 (permalink)

New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos

Another new song that I have created, seem to be churning out tracks this weather!

This one is a pop/electro song with some guitars, percussion and an infectious chorus.

Initially inspired by Spiritual guru, Deepak Chopra, where he preaches we are all of a single energy i.e. citizens of the cosmos.

Have a listen and let me know what you think of the tune and the mix/production.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10095908

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning

12 Replies Related Threads

Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/09 14:39:24 (permalink)
    Hi Whack,
                  Enjoyed listening to this.
    It had a kind of Culture Club vibe to it for me.
    Listening in the cans , the  mix sounded good.
    I liked the vocal treatments.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    whack
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/10 13:18:52 (permalink)
    Thankin you thatsastrat (feel weird saying that name!),glad you enjoyed some of it.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of culture club I tell ya.

Any other comments welcome, you can even tell me if you hate it! (be gentle!)

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/10 16:08:54 (permalink)
    whack

Any other comments welcome, you can even tell me if you hate it! (be gentle!)

Cian

Well, it does suck....
    Seriously, I like what you have done with this since I heard that raw version a few weeks back.  The tune really moves along nicely, and like Strat said, the vocal treatments work pretty well (except for a few small spots).

Production-wise, it rather lifeless and flat.  There should be a dramatic use of dynamics when the synths come in on the chorus, but it just kinda put out there without any fanfare. The bass needs a Multiband comp on it, cuz it is really dominating as opposed to where it should be, sliding under the groove and propelling the song.

You do have a way with the catchy melody!
    whack
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/10 16:50:03 (permalink)

Evening James, 

I actually dont mind if you think it sucks, im sure it aint your cuppa anyway.

"Production-wise, it rather lifeless and flat.There should be a dramatic use of dynamics when the synths come in on the chorus"...

I just love the way you say lifeless and flat....WELL HOW THE BLOODY HELL DO I INJECT A LITTLE LIFE INTO IT THEN!? (hire a professional)

I take it by simply turning up the strings at the chorus that that wont simply cut the mustard, and it will just soak up my headroom and not give the chorus the "punch" that is required?

I can multiband the bass I spose if it needs to calm a little. Do you think I should skip that bare beat and bass intro?

Cian

post edited by whack - 2011/01/10 16:56:20

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/10 17:21:41 (permalink)

I liked it.

1 oz vodka
    1/2 oz triple sec
    1/2 oz Rose's® lime juice
    1/2 oz cranberry juice

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/10 17:33:06 (permalink)
    whack

Evening James, 

I actually dont mind if you think it sucks, im sure it aint your cuppa anyway.

"Production-wise, it rather lifeless and flat.There should be a dramatic use of dynamics when the synths come in on the chorus"...

I just love the way you say lifeless and flat....WELL HOW THE BLOODY HELL DO I INJECT A LITTLE LIFE INTO IT THEN!? (hire a professional)

I take it by simply turning up the strings at the chorus that that wont simply cut the mustard, and it will just soak up my headroom and not give the chorus the "punch" that is required?

I can multiband the bass I spose if it needs to calm a little. Do you think I should skip that bare beat and bass intro?

Cian

It certainly doesn't suck, as I was just playing off your previous quote!

As for the "lifeless and flat": this was a comment on the mix, not the tune. Do you have Ozone or any other mastering plugs? They would do 75% of the work right there, including compressing that bass.

whack
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/10 19:10:23 (permalink)

Only messin.

Ya see that the most depressing thing about this it that I have put ozone 4 on the master bus, Im using a preset "4 band master - warm mids" on it which I though would be ok. I usually work by allowing all tracks routed to the master to hit the -6 to -3db level before adding this plugin to what I reckon sounds ok after. Just can seem to get the punch in these hard hitting dance/rock tracks which forces me to record soppy acoustic s**t all the time!!

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/10 19:53:19 (permalink)
    Great dance club fare here. Immediately timewarped me back to 1980's MTV. Good video material. Duran Duran would be proud. I like your eccentric choice of sounds. If all you have to do is tweak the mix, you're already 90% there.......no sweat. Very singable and catchy pop goove ................Bravo...................Ron

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/10 23:11:33 (permalink)
    This is cool Cian , I can almost picture this little yellow bubble space ship with a kid and his dog venturing off onto some type of space journey .
    You know one of those Space Kid movies , very nice I enjoyed the vocals and vibe .

Radio

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/11 09:26:12 (permalink)
    great song Cian. ah, that old mastering problem! if i were you i think James should do it for you as you sang for him on his song! like this one, bass is prominent, yes, but i feel partly cos the percussion is too low; balance those two out and things should be better! not sure about the guitar solo, doesn't really fit in with the rest of the vibe for me. otherwise, top stuff!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    whack
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/11 18:12:34 (permalink)
    savage opera, thanks for you words. I know but that 10 % is what you need for people to bloody listen, the market im going for (20 year olds,facebook etc) generally listen to rihanna, usher and xfactor stuff, need the punch man. My younger bro even said the other day he said "This song is good but I just can listen to it its not loud enough", that song was something by the beatles/or eagles if I can remember and I recall he had spent the last week listening to the new usher album.

radio glad you liked it.dog?now there is an image that I could use, thats fun man.

mgh, I might just do that....if I can get my hands on him.mmm, interesting about the guitar solo, the start of the solo is a little harsh and the tone a little off but I love that solo part, I think it will have to stay!

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:New Pop/electro song - Citizen of the Cosmos 2011/01/11 19:05:16 (permalink)
    Well I have to listen on cheap PC speakers so I can hardly comment on the production.....out side of it did seem to come thu nicely...

I liked this tune and James is correct....you have a way with a catchy melody!

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob