*Solved* Displaying hidden items on second monitor.

Author
SoundBank
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
2011/01/09 14:50:14 (permalink)

*Solved* Displaying hidden items on second monitor.

Solution:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
If you hibernate a laptop and have two monitors active.
Then get a callout and unplug the laptop from the monitor and head out....

If Sonars screensets do not show up on the laptop and are hidden on the 2nd monitor.

Exit Sonar (even if the Menu Screen is not visible.) using

TAB ALT+F+X    --->  EXIT      as many times as it takes to close Sonar.

Open a Project that was saved on a single monitor.
Come back into Sonar and the Screensets should all appear on your single laptop monitor.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I run Sonar X1 on a laptop.
At home last night I decided to use two monitors, and it really helped and will keep using two.
I opened the project today on the standalone laptop, with no access to a second monitor.

......the Menu Bar, and the Control Bar and Track View...are hidden.
They exist in the area of the now missing 2nd monitor, which is at home...not with me on the road.

I will set the layout different when I get back to a second monitor.
This is not Sonars problem... its my poor original screen layout.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the "Hidden items back" in the meantime?

cheers

post edited by SoundBank - 2011/01/09 22:09:46

7 Replies Related Threads

codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Displaying hidden items on second monitor. 2011/01/09 18:33:37 (permalink)
    Are they "Hidden" within the entire project?

I'm pretty sure that unless you saved all 10 Screen Set layouts with this positioning, you can likely just open a different screen set and it will make everything available on the one monitor again.

Views > Screensets > Choose any of 1 - 10 that you haven't saved with a multiple monitor setup.

Maybe someone else will have a better answer on "restoring", but this workaround should work for you.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Displaying hidden items on second monitor. 2011/01/09 20:51:56 (permalink)
    Ah, the dangers of a second monitor. Once you get used to them and start putting things over there, when you are back on one monitor, you can no longer access the items out there in virtual land.

Had this same issue when I bought a new wide screen. I had to dig the 2nd monitor out of the garage to get everything back where I could see it.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re:Displaying hidden items on second monitor. 2011/01/09 20:55:22 (permalink)
    This is a really annoying flaw in Windows generally, it doesn't work this stuff out for you automatically.

You can force it to get its act together by going into the display properties and messing around with it a bit. Try switching between different screen resolutions and at some point, it will wake up to the fact that there's only one monitor there and give everything a display co-ordinate that actually exists. You need to have Sonar (or whatever other app you're trying to sort out) open while you do this.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    gothic.angel
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 572
    Re:Displaying hidden items on second monitor. 2011/01/09 21:19:03 (permalink)
    SoundBank

I run Sonar X1 on a laptop...    

...Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the "Hidden items back" in the meantime?

cheers

This wouldn't have been a (real) issue, if ONLY Cakewalk HAD NOT dropped the possibility to chose EVERY which and how MANY "items" to show at once.... AS IT WAS up to v8.5.....

Double screens should be a choice, not a forced "solution".....

post edited by gothic.angel - 2011/01/09 21:21:09

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

SoundBank
    Re:Displaying hidden items on second monitor. 2011/01/09 21:34:01 (permalink)
    haha

YES the only thing I see on all screensets is the CONSOLE VIEW.  (my problem...not sure what I was thinking.)

I discovered I couldn't even close X1.

I tried to exit Sonar X1
    ALT-F-X   (Alt+FILE+EXIT)
    ALT-F-C   (Alt+File+Close)

Of course I couldn't get out of Sonar X1 because the Menu bar wasn't the Active Screen!...

Edit

closing Sonar SOLVED

TAB (to make next screen active) then ALT+F+X.
    until the proper Window is open, and it allowed me to close Sonar!

post edited by SoundBank - 2011/01/09 21:37:30
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Displaying hidden items on second monitor. 2011/01/09 21:36:26 (permalink)
    Edit - Changing my message as you posted before I got the original message out!
    Looks like you figured out a solution. Thanks for posting that - should be helpful if other have this problem.

If you can tab to the next screen, can you move things back to the original monitor or is this just solving your "closing" problem?
    post edited by codamedia - 2011/01/09 21:42:09

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    SoundBank
    Re:Displaying hidden items on second monitor. 2011/01/09 21:58:16 (permalink)
    I do not recall saving any screensets on this project.

I could have Saved the project and Hibernated the laptop last night.  (bad move)
    Then grabbed the laptop this morning and headed out.
    Sonar may have still thought there was a 2nd monitor present.

BUT  
    Once I was able to close and reopen SONAR by
    TAB-ing  and ALT+F+X  (until it hit the Menu Window)

ALL Screensets appeared on the Laptop monitor.

Problem SOLVED.   Thanks for your input.
    post edited by SoundBank - 2011/01/09 22:00:33
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1