How do I set the length of several MIDI notes, simultaneously

Author
amdrecording
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
2011/01/10 11:43:19 (permalink)

How do I set the length of several MIDI notes, simultaneously

Dear group of gurus,

In Sonar 8.5, I added this little magic bar into my transport...

It allowed me to quickly and efficiently change a bunch of MIDI notes to have the same properties. I especially want to be able to make the "Dur"ation of files the same. I can't find a way to do it in X1, anyone?

Is it possible to add this little ditty to the control bar? I fear no.

-Alex

www.alexdavismusic.com
Music for Film, Dance and Multimedia

6 Replies Related Threads

Zyler Vega [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:How do I set the length of several MIDI notes, simultaneously 2011/01/10 11:50:58 (permalink)
    Hello there,

The "Event Inspector Module" in the Control Bar contains all of these fields.

Right-click the Control Bar and make sure "Event Inspector Module" is checked.  If it is currently off-screen, you may have to un-check other modules until it is visible.  Then select the notes you wish to edit, then click the "Duration" field to change their value.

I hope that helps!

Zyler Vega 
    Quality Assurance Engineer

DSP Beta Administrator 
    Cakewalk, Inc.

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:How do I set the length of several MIDI notes, simultaneously 2011/01/10 12:00:53 (permalink)
    X1 Special Instructions:

After entering values in the Event Inspector, you will want to click back in the Track View before hitting Spacebar to start playback. If focus is left in Control Bar, hitting Spacebar will close the Control Bar, and you won't have control over the transport functions until you return focus to the Track View.
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:How do I set the length of several MIDI notes, simultaneously 2011/01/10 12:09:08 (permalink)
    Zyler Vega [Cakewalk
    ]

Hello there,

The "Event Inspector Module" in the Control Bar contains all of these fields.

Right-click the Control Bar and make sure "Event Inspector Module" is checked.  If it is currently off-screen, you may have to un-check other modules until it is visible.  Then select the notes you wish to edit, then click the "Duration" field to change their value.

I hope that helps!

Not having the event inspector readily available is one of the things I truly dislike about the Control Bar.

YES I Know we can uncheck things to make room for it, but that is a drawback not a help.

I would urge the Devs to rethink this.   The Event Inspector is enormously useful and shouldn't be hostage to screen space in a control bar.

my 2 cents.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    amdrecording
    Re:How do I set the length of several MIDI notes, simultaneously 2011/01/10 12:55:45 (permalink)
    Agree with you ba_midi. I'm glad that AT LEAST it's still there! I don't mind getting rid of some of the other crud up there anyway. Though it would be nice if I could FLOAT those elements!

-Alex
    amdrecording
    Re:How do I set the length of several MIDI notes, simultaneously 2011/01/10 12:57:58 (permalink)
    brundlefly

X1 Special Instructions:

After entering values in the Event Inspector, you will want to click back in the Track View before hitting Spacebar to start playback. If focus is left in Control Bar, hitting Spacebar will close the Control Bar, and you won't have control over the transport functions until you return focus to the Track View.

Yep, that's pretty ridiculous. Pressing ENTER to finalize the entry in the event inspector should allow focus back on whatever view I was working in last. I'm sure I'll be pressing SPACEBAR only to accidentally close the control bar many times.
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:How do I set the length of several MIDI notes, simultaneously 2011/01/10 13:05:10 (permalink)
    I just bumped my original thread on this. The problem was confirmed by Brandon Ryan, and I expect that will help it get fixed.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1