Best way to get track by track drum kit

Author
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
2011/01/12 13:41:03 (permalink)

Best way to get track by track drum kit

What the quick and dirty procedure to have each part of a drum kit in Session Drummer 3 assigned to its own track??

Thanks !

5 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Best way to get track by track drum kit 2011/01/12 14:18:16 (permalink)
    Here's how I do it with Session Drummer two. I insert Session Drummer with the All Synth Outputs Stereo option enabled and nothing else. That gives me 8 stereo tracks for the drum outputs. Then in the synth I load a program. Then I click and drag the number under each drum to the channel I want it on. So when that drum is played it will go to that output. Then I create Midi tracks for the drums I'm using. Kick, Snare, Toms, etc. I set the output of each Midi track to Session Drummer. I can create separate Midi tracks for each drum or put all the drums on one Midi track. They will still go to separate audio outputs.

I would think the method is similar with Session Drummer 3.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Best way to get track by track drum kit 2011/01/12 15:13:04 (permalink)
    I saw a video toot on that last night.... drag the number to the channel is what I remember....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Best way to get track by track drum kit 2011/01/13 02:02:09 (permalink)
    Just curious: Chappel, if you have all kitpieces on separate midi tracks, how on earth can you maintain a fluent controll over the material when editing, say, rapid breakbeats and rolls that go from kitpiece to kitpiece. Isn't it a PITA to adjust velocities of individual hits and so on?

I've always had all the MIDI on one track, so I've not even bothered to test.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    silvercn
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1238
    Re:Best way to get track by track drum kit 2011/01/13 03:12:05 (permalink)
    The tutorials I've seen sets it up as a tack folder (for Session Drummer lets say) and you can essentially have the kid seperated into 5 different tracks 1-Kick drum; 2-snare; 3 can hold the tree toms; then 4 hold the crash and Ride symbols....This was you can independlty control various factors of one versus the other..for example placing a compressor on the kick, and on the snare track, a PX64 Percussion track and a small amount of reverb to make it pop..etc. You will still end up having one MIDI track that the chosed clip / loop will play on to trigger all this, but still each part of the kit will have it's own set of controls and paramaters that you tweat to make it all fit in the mix better. For example a little reverb sounds good on the snare, but would muddle things up if you placed it on the single track that had all the drums coming from....

THanks!
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Best way to get track by track drum kit 2011/01/13 05:04:26 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

Just curious: Chappel, if you have all kitpieces on separate midi tracks, how on earth can you maintain a fluent controll over the material when editing, say, rapid breakbeats and rolls that go from kitpiece to kitpiece. Isn't it a PITA to adjust velocities of individual hits and so on?

I've always had all the MIDI on one track, so I've not even bothered to test.

I've done it both ways and it doesn't seem to make much difference to me as regards to composing/editing. It's easy enough to open multiple Midi tracks in the PRV if needed. It's probably a bit easier for me to focus on an individual drum sound if it has its own Midi track. Sometimes I'll start with one Midi track and later split individual drums to separate tracks when the part gets more complex.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1