Boot up Problems since the Tuesday Win 7 Microsoft Patches

Author
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
2011/01/13 07:38:09 (permalink)

Boot up Problems since the Tuesday Win 7 Microsoft Patches

Anyone else having boot up problems with Windows 7 since the Tuesday Microsoft updates?  There are a few of us, that I know of so far. 

One of the Tuesday updates is an "uninstallable" update and I suspect that is what is causing the problem.  Normally, when I booted up and after the BIOS screen, Win 7 would startup immediately.  Now when I boot up, after the BIOS screen I get blank screen with the flashing cursor, the CPU cooling fan speeds up to high speed for about 20 seconds before Windows starts to load and F8 is no longer recognized (to get the menu for repair, safe mode, etc).  After Windows loads everything seems to be OK.   I also have Vista installed on a separate hard drive on my PC (does not have Tuesday's updates) and it does not have the delay and Vista starts "normally" - immediately after the BIOS splash screen. 

System Restore cannot complete and I suspect that is because of the uninstallable update.   Fortunately I have an Acronis True Image full hard drive backup from last week and after I backup a couple of user items that have been added since the backup I'm going to rebuild my hard drive from the Acronis backup.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.

5 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Re:Boot up Problems since the Tuesday Win 7 Microsoft Patches 2011/01/13 09:14:58 (permalink)
    Looks like I found my problem.  The update corrupted the RAID 1 configuration or the second RAID drive.  I reset the BIOS back to "IDE" for the hard drives and then booted with the primary hard drive and it's working properly.  I've rebooted several times just to see. 

I'll have to reformat the second hard drive and then set them back to RAID in the BIOS and finally setup the RAID 1 again with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software application. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re:Boot up Problems since the Tuesday Win 7 Microsoft Patches 2011/01/19 12:00:37 (permalink)
    I know I'll get burned here, but I NEVER let MS update my systems.
    EVERY TIME I DO SOMETHING GETS F'ed UP!
    Tried MS Essentials, everyone seems to like it, and it HOSED my Win7x32 system.
    You can't make it NOT install every POS MS update...
    NEVER, NEVER AGAIN!!!

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    DeeringAmps
    Re:Boot up Problems since the Tuesday Win 7 Microsoft Patches 2011/01/19 12:07:14 (permalink)
    Fireberd,
    On another note, PLEASE; you play a Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel.
    I can play the guitar, but a pedal steel is for me an alien instrument.
    Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for pedal players.
    But I can't accept that its a guitar.
    I did however, pickup the cutest little early 60's Gibson BR-9 at the Guitar Show
    this weekend and will learn to play "slide" on my lap.

take care

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
    fireberd
    Re:Boot up Problems since the Tuesday Win 7 Microsoft Patches 2011/01/19 18:27:36 (permalink)
    Tom, to your dismay it is classified as a "guitar".   Go back to the 60's and Leo Fender and Paul Bigsby were both producing "Pedal Steel Guitars".   My Franklin was made by the "Franklin Steel Guitar Company" (In Nashville).  In the Grammy's the Pedal Steel Guitar is listed (and Paul Franklin Jr, the Nashville "A Team" Steeler, has been the most frequent "Steel Guitarist" named).

There is an Annual "International Steel Guitar Convention" that is held on Labor Day weekends in St Louis.  It has participants from all over the world and all the Steel Guitar vendors are there, sort of a mini NAMM.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    DeeringAmps
    Re:Boot up Problems since the Tuesday Win 7 Microsoft Patches 2011/01/19 19:46:37 (permalink)
    I stand corrected, and I do bow before all those who are proficient with the Pedal Steel Guitar.
    There I said it; pedal, steel and guitar all in one breath.

Take care Fireberd...

Tom Deering

Win10x64

RME UFX (Audio)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1