dacookster
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 77
2011/01/13 15:51:23 (permalink)

Tie Dyed Blanket---ballad

Tie Dyed Blanket

Words by Laura Jackson,  music by Steve Cook and Elana Gingerich
Vocals by Elana.

Song was written by Laura, about her feelings regarding her older sister.  It was, and still is, basically a poem.  But reading it inspired me to put it to music.  Elana did a wonderful job, so far, with the vocals, as she was able to take it into her heart as she has an older sister as well.

Me?  I just used D minor and went from there!

We've still got to polish it some before it's ready for our album, but I wanted to post it here to get people's opinions.

Thanks.

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/dacookster

3 Replies Related Threads

dacookster
    Re:Tie Dyed Blanket---ballad 2011/01/14 08:00:34 (permalink)
    Opinions, please?  I thought I'd get honest opinions in this forum, especially with how brutal the X1 forums are.
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Tie Dyed Blanket---ballad 2011/01/14 08:24:08 (permalink)
    the dog's not bad on guitar!
    nothing like a nice uptempo summery tune...oh wait...well yes it's quite downbeat, but i like that. the vocals are well sung. i quite like the echo on the voice, but it's a little dry for me, it could stand up to bit more verb. solo is wel played too. drums are ok, nothing offensive about them but i would have maybe used a less thuddy kick, and i would certainly have given the drummer more work!
    i'd like to hear some more dynamics in this, there are two tempos, plodding and almost stopped. it makes it hard to listen to it all the way through, be nice to hear something of a change-up somewhere, whether that's a change in instrumentation or tempo or both. the outro works well, in fact i like the overall vibe a lot, reminds me a bit of Dead Can Dance or some of the nu-folk/dark ambient artists, with a bit of goth thrown in. the vocalist would be good in a doomy metal band!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    dacookster
    Re:Tie Dyed Blanket---ballad 2011/01/14 08:48:06 (permalink)
    Thanks, MGH, those are pretty much my same thoughts. 

I have the bad tendency, as being a terrible singer, to wash the vox too much in verb and delay, and I'll agree it's too dry.  I've been experimenting with different variances, but the challenge for me is to not make it sound metal.  You caught me on the kick drum, I thought I sneaked that in there.  I think the outro is the best part of the song....well, except for the guitar solo, ha ha.

I'll keep with it and see how much more I can do with this.  Thanks so much for your input.  I get such tunnel vision from spending so much time working on stuff, and bounce ideas off my friends who always give the same feedback.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1