Ascent - Hiding from Reality

Author
Bruce Baldwin
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2011/01/13 20:43:14 (permalink)

Ascent - Hiding from Reality

Hello Again,

My band is called Ascent, and we're midway through recording our new CD using Sonar 8.5.   I've received some (fair) criticism about my mixes on this board in the past, mainly that they are too flat.   I mixed and mastered this one to sound much brighter.   I'm very interested in your comments on how it sounds.  The song consists of vocals, acoustic guitar, bass, and strings (Dimension Pro string samples).   

Hiding from Reality: http://www.obsessivemusic.info/Music/Hiding%20From%20Reality.mp3

My blog where you can read about the recording is  http://www.brucebaldwin.net/

Thanks for listening!

3 Replies Related Threads

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Ascent - Hiding from Reality 2011/01/13 21:22:07 (permalink)
    Hi Bruce ,excellent song, well played and the singing is great.It's a pity that the acoustic guitar that features so prominently is sounding very thin and I also hear a lot of fret buzz.

Greetings, Morenoise
    Bruce Baldwin
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Ascent - Hiding from Reality 2011/01/15 13:56:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening, Mr. Noise.   I hear the guitar more as "bright" than as thin.   To my ear, it fits in the mix better than way, than if it had thick, fat sound.   The natural timbre of my wife's voice has some very low frequencies, and that's how we arrived at this mix, for balance.  I don't hear the fret buzz that you're hearing, but perhaps I'm too close too it.   

Anybody else?
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Ascent - Hiding from Reality 2011/01/15 23:41:46 (permalink)
    This is a rather compelling tune, and I have listened to it several times.
    Your wife has a beautiful voice, and indeed some strength in the low registers.
    I'm inclined to agree that I would consider the guitar more  bright than thin. Yes, there is noticeable fret buzz, but considering the fierceness with which you are playing, I would expect that. I get that a lot myself, and I hear it as an emotional enhancement more than a distraction.
    Between the vox, the strings, and the guitar, you have some lovely textural stuff happening. I think there is room for some discreet drums in this. I am partial to minimal mixes, but I did find myself playing drums to what you have laid down here.
    I find myself coming back to this one, so kudos, very nicely done.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1