Using Cakewalk Studio Instruments to trigger midi file sounds

Author
BUDMEISTER
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2011/01/15 09:52:59 (permalink)

Using Cakewalk Studio Instruments to trigger midi file sounds

Hi folks. I'm really quite new to the Cakewalk software and need advice. I currently use Cubase to edit midi files and use Roland Virtual sound Canvas to trigger my midi file sounds. I've moved to windows 7 and my Virtual Sound Canvas software is not compatable with the windows 7 platform. I'm thinking of buying Cakewalk Studio Instruments to run alongside my Cubase program. Will this be possible? in short, I want to open a midi file using Cubase and have the midi file trigger the Studio Instrument.sounds. Is this possible and how do I do it? Many thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Using Cakewalk Studio Instruments to trigger midi file sounds 2011/01/15 11:25:31 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if CW and CB will work together... why not just use Cakewalk to do it all? Trying to sync 2 different apps from 2 companies sounds like an exercise in frustration.

Cake allows me to do it all "in the box" with one program.  I recommend Music Creator 5 at $40 from your local big box retailer. It has VST support, and runs every synth I've ever tried to load...without problems. You didn't mention the soundcard.... and that plays a huge factor in how well any DAW will perform.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    BUDMEISTER
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Using Cakewalk Studio Instruments to trigger midi file sounds 2011/01/16 05:43:40 (permalink)
    Hi mate and thanks for your reply. I used Roland Virtual Sound Canvas VC3 to trigger all my midi files previously. It was ideal for my needs and allowed me to save and change as a wav file. As I've moved to Windows 7 on my new PC, it won't load the software for the Sound Canvas. I simply want something that gives me good quality midi sounds to use for my band. The Virtual sound canvas was a no nonsense cracking bit of kit for my needs. Any suggestions for my needs?
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Using Cakewalk Studio Instruments to trigger midi file sounds 2011/01/16 07:03:03 (permalink)
    SI is not host specific , so will work in cubase also (cakewalk have the SENSE thankfully unlike others , NOT to lock the native plugins by them that I've paid for)

SC and SI are 2 very different things though.. SC is like a GM replacement , much like I use my MU128 and SW1000

Bud , watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usBAyLUW01g

to make sure it's the sort of thing your after.

if your after a GM replacement.. well you could always use cakewalks SFZ+ and GM soundfonts..

or  look at things like kore player free , proteusx free , sampletank free

depends on your budget.. but you can pick up decent older hardware midi units on ebay, thats where I got my mu128.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1