Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment"

Author
ruralrocker2010
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 616
2011/01/15 14:00:23 (permalink)

Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment"

Guys,

I'm experimenting with something that I feel it way outside my normal musical style. This a very rough, experimental song for me. You could critique the mix, but that's a waste because I've not mixed it yet. I just put enough compression it to level it out some. There's some eq going on, but again, all that's besides the point. There's a major temp shift in this song and I need to know if how I chose to clip it together works or if I should work with someone to help me piece it together.

As to why...well, I came up with the chorus lyric first, then as I was messing around with what eventually became the verse portion, I didn't realize how drastically a different tempo they were and I can't just throw it out!

Anyway, please advise your thoughts on whether or not this works...or if you have some ideas on how to make that work. Listen to the whole thing and you'll understand.

http://joshuabarnes.bandcamp.com/

post edited by ruralrocker2010 - 2011/01/18 00:24:24

Joshua Barnes
Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit

21 Replies Related Threads

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/15 18:23:56 (permalink)
    Edgy, untamed, pompous classical rock (or such).

Excellent performances, top-shelf, and most promising, to my 'intermediate' ears.  There's a lot to love in this.

Of course, IMHO, there is always room for vox (to set this up 10 notches) ... preferably a coherent one with a message, again IMHO. 

But, the arrangement tempos work for me, AS IS.  (Some things are better left alone, IMHO)

Sorry if I didn't respond appropriately ... but my universe is vox-centric and I'm sticking with my crony opinion.  An ambitious singer could easily run with this as a top-notch pro-producer groove ... and write a potent classicoid rock anthem ... with this experiment.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/15 18:29:04 (permalink)
    Wow.

I have lyrics and a melody already, and it's got a message. A strong one I think.

I'm also vox oriented. I think good vocalist can really make a song great, same with a drummer. Thanks for the feedback!

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 00:24:54 (permalink)
    Sorry guys, I updated the link but didn't update the post. I apologize. I don't know if this bumps it or not...

Joshua Barnes
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 00:56:12 (permalink)
    Something about the tone on that lead was hurting my ears, I had to crank it down immediately when it came on. You need to "deshrillify" that lead. I'm sure it can be done w/EQ. 

I like the song, and everything else about it other than the tone of that lead, which was hurting my ears "literally." 

Would like to hear it with wordz.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 14:52:16 (permalink)
    I can definitely de-shrill. I mix at low volumes so, sometimes that stuff can get by if you don't turn it up loud enough I guess.
    I'm hoping to have the vocal track done this weekend

Joshua Barnes
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 18:25:36 (permalink)
    I think you're onto something here, Josh, and it will be interesting to see where you go with it.  Tempo changes felt okay to me, and I liked the drum feel.  Agree with Robby on the lead tone, but I think you can eq that out.  Some nice riffs in there too.
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 18:46:53 (permalink)
    I like the tune as well.....

If you think of the tempo shift as a bridge then I feel you could get away with it....but keep it to just two tempos....I think you kind of slipped a third one in there.....any more than two changes it starts to feel like your rambling but I do not think that is what you are striving for here....

It also felt a little out of time in spots (the guitar lead with delays) so I think you need to tighten up the groove to make it a little more coherant (spelling .....sorry)

but the concept is very good.....just start on developing int now!

my 2 cents
    Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 18:56:01 (permalink)

Thought I might comment on a few songs before I shutdown for a few weeks , getting ready to move into our new apartment so for me I need to start packing my brains out to get everything moved by the first of next month .
    Anyway I listened to your song , I really thought it sounded cool . The mix sounded great too .

Nice song , I catch everyone in two to three weeks when I post my new song . I have been working on it for two weeks now and its getting close to being finished .
    Wanted to post it next week but its not going to happen with all the packing and moving .

Keep pumping out the great music you create , touch base with everyone in two to three weeks when I'm moved in and have my computer up and running again .

Radio

ruralrocker2010
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 20:25:33 (permalink)
    Truckermusic

I like the tune as well.....

If you think of the tempo shift as a bridge then I feel you could get away with it....but keep it to just two tempos....I think you kind of slipped a third one in there.....any more than two changes it starts to feel like your rambling but I do not think that is what you are striving for here....

It also felt a little out of time in spots (the guitar lead with delays) so I think you need to tighten up the groove to make it a little more coherant (spelling .....sorry)

but the concept is very good.....just start on developing int now!

my 2 cents
    Clifford

I like your bridge thought. When I listen to it, and perhaps this is the fact that I know what the lyrics are, I felt like the time changes turned out to be like mood changes. Almost like a blip, just enough to make you wha? Whoa, what was that? But in a good way. Lyrically this describes a scene and everything about it is meant to tell that story even without the lyrics. I'll post them. Feel free to critique.

If you don't mind, could you pin point the timing issue for me? If it's what I'm thinking of, I think it's a slop delivery on a guitar lick that I accidentally left in there. But, maybe it's not and I want to be sure.

<---begin lyrics-->
    Chorus
    becuase I'm broken inside    
    out of my mind - breaking down my...
    My body full of compromise
    betrays my side - Thank God for giving 
    the perfect sacrifice 
    covers me But for men to live the Son had to die

verse 1
    betrayed at the garden
    fate sealed by the devils kiss
    no truth in accusations    
    no words in his defense

Do you dare to provoke me [says pilate]
    I drink from holy water
    You have no power over me [except what's]
    given by my father

G                F          G          F D
    Then why do you stand here, a man accused?
    is it true what they say, what did you do?

F G
    their conscience seared with ever jeer
    F G (small bass lick)
    committed no crime, but for this he dies

woman behold you son
    the coming king of the jews
    No man takes my life from me
    I've made all things new

as the ground begins to tremble
    the veil torn in two
    with the words it is finished
    we've crucified the truth

G                F          G          F D
    Then why do you stand here, a man accused?
    is it true what they say, what did you do?

F G
    their conscience seared with ever jeer
    F G (small bass lick)
    committed no crime, but for this he dies

Joshua Barnes
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 21:53:46 (permalink)
    ruralrocker2010

I can definitely de-shrill. I mix at low volumes so, sometimes that stuff can get by if you don't turn it up loud enough I guess.
    I'm hoping to have the vocal track done this weekend

I've been married 3 times... Anyone who's been yelled at as much as I have has no choice but to listen with it turned up :-(

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 21:57:15 (permalink)
    Joshua

Love the piece which shows off some of your great chops.

That tempo change scared you and it shows. You don't need to prepare a listener for a tempo change, just do it. Those 3 hits at 1:01 just sound out of whack and IMO are not needed, just go into the change. But the second time (2:40ish) they make more sense with the little extra added.

Don't know if that make sense but it does to me.

Nice work.

Ron

ruralrocker2010
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 22:25:02 (permalink)
    Ron,

You're spot on. The change is SO dramatic, but I felt like I had to be true to the inspiration and sometimes that's just the way it comes out.

RE: The three hits

It's one of those things where you make tiny compromises for the sake of completion or apologizing for length...frankly, right there is where the solo should start freakin' screaming....because of the story that's being told.

Anyways, i need to really work at not rushing or being too committed to one idea. I've got to learn to let music take me where it wants to go....*sigh. Nothing will ever be complete.

Joshua Barnes
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 22:26:07 (permalink)
    RR; LOL; 

You know for all the trouble I've had being married, my wife supports my musical endeavors. She's not super enthusiastic, just very accommodating for all the noise I make.

Joshua Barnes
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 23:02:49 (permalink)
    I can sooo picture the singer for System of the Down singing on this.  Speaking of them, they have some crazy tempo changes in their songs.  I think with the words placed right, the tempo change could put an excamation point on the lyrics.  I'de really like to hear it with vocals, it sounds like it has alot of potential and room for killer vocals. 

Maybe you could call the singer for System of the Down and see if he is free any coming weekend.  Nice work Josh, please post again when you add your lyrics.  I think the tempo change works

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/18 23:07:55 (permalink)
    I kind of like the concept here. kind of reminds me of early Black Sabath in a way and Tool at the same time. I like both, so take that as a good thing.
    Yes, the lead is exceptionally bright up to 00:37, but when it appears after that, it seems to fit much better. Fatten it up for the intro, and I think it will drop nicely into place.
    The tempo changes are actually kind of cool.
    Sleep on this. It's going to be one of those wake up at three AM I know what I need to do kind of things.
    I like what you have so far, and can't wait to hear it with your vox.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/19 09:32:02 (permalink)
    well Josh, first thing; the mix so far sounds very good, and your skills there are coming along, so for such a WIP, that's great, huh? and as your strongest suit is singing, this is gonna be smoking when it's done. The timing changes - YES! they sound excellent. much more inventive. i agree the lead tone could be smoothed out, try using the neck pup instead.

but this is gonna be a monster! i think once vox are added you may actually lose some of the lead work, or some of the instrumentation, as it already sounds quite a dense, compressed mix. that's the beauty of recording, sometimes as you go along it needs something different to how you originally heard it.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/19 10:54:23 (permalink)
    mgh

well Josh, first thing; the mix so far sounds very good, and your skills there are coming along, so for such a WIP, that's great, huh? and as your strongest suit is singing, this is gonna be smoking when it's done. The timing changes - YES! they sound excellent. much more inventive. i agree the lead tone could be smoothed out, try using the neck pup instead.

but this is gonna be a monster! i think once vox are added you may actually lose some of the lead work, or some of the instrumentation, as it already sounds quite a dense, compressed mix. that's the beauty of recording, sometimes as you go along it needs something different to how you originally heard it.
    MGH,

your'e the one that's made the most difference. I've started tooling everything from the ground up and trying to be focused on how this all fits together sonically. Plus I downloaded all those compressors you sent me...DANG!

I agree, it morphs as you go. You have to be willing to let it, otherwise it will come out forced. So, this is the challenge, when I go to lay down my vocal, do I stick with the melody that inspired it, or the one that comes natural as I try to sing with my own song as a backing track...choices choices....

Joshua Barnes
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/19 11:08:13 (permalink)
    I like it a lot... I especially like the changes... which aren't just harmonic but also stylistic change ups. Cool.

I didn't think the lead was to bright either. It's a rock song.

Nice Job!

Venus
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/19 12:34:33 (permalink)
    I agree the tone on the distortion is a bit harsh on highs. It's got a good groove. Lyrics and melody would be nice to hear when you have it up and running.

Yes, I'm back ...with minions. Luv, D

Collabs are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1208769 
    Past solo recordings (my mixes) are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=918473 
    The future is on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZqTJNpfZuGy7k62nVJ4eA

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/19 22:25:24 (permalink)
    Sounds good to me. Got a hint of Blackfoot or The Outlaws.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Early Track: Rock Instrumental: Experimental, called "moment by moment" 2011/01/19 23:26:38 (permalink)
    I agree with Bob (RobertB)...sometime....some weird time, probably, it will come together for you and you'll know what to do with it. I like what I'm hearing.  I think you'll be able to make it gel...it will come to you.  I often have songs that come together in weird ways...chorus here....no, chorus there....no, a different chorus...no....etc., etc.  Some work and some don't.  No, let's say I don't work hard enough to finish them all.

This is worth finishing. :-) 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1