Session Drummer 2 clipping

Author
hydropsyche
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2011/01/15 20:35:26 (permalink)

Session Drummer 2 clipping

Please HELP!  I'm at my wits end!  I read all the documentation, viewed all of the utube vids, etc. (Sonar LE 8.5)

Insert Session Drummer 2 Synth with MIDI Source, Synth Track Folder, All Synth Audio outputs - check
select prog - check
assign each instument to its own track - check
preview midi - check
drag and drop prog midi to midi track - check
play it - check
slip edit it to stretch it out - no check

You probably know whats comming.....I play it and the first groove clip plays fine, the second one is clipping/dropping random beats/instruments - damn.

If it was due to my PC being under powered (or wrong parameters set) you would think the first clip would not play correctly, but it does.  Only the second, third, etc fail.

Does anyone know what's going on?  Any suggestions?

Drums are kind of important....

4 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Session Drummer 2 clipping 2011/01/15 21:01:16 (permalink)
    "slip edit it to stretch it out - no check "
    What exactly do you mean by that?
    Does the pattern not repeat?
    When you drag it out, you should see a series of loops extending as far as you drag it.
    Did you hit the stop button in the SD2 GUI? If not, the pattern will be triggered internally, as well as from your MIDI track, which can cause some unpleasant results.
    Did you drag from the note icon in the GUI to the MIDI track?
    SD2 is pretty straightforward and reliable, so I'm inclined to suspect a missed step or setting.
    If you could list your system specs in your signature, it would help us help you.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    hydropsyche
    Re:Session Drummer 2 clipping 2011/01/15 21:31:03 (permalink)
    RobertB

"When you drag it out, you should see a series of loops extending as far as you drag it."

Yes.

"Did you hit the stop button in the SD2 GUI? If not, the pattern will be triggered internally, as well as from your MIDI track, which can cause some unpleasant results."

I'm assumig I did(I'll try again now).  I play the pattern to listen to it (without the infinity/loop icon selected.).  When it stopped playing, I dragged from the note icon and dropped to the MIDI track.  I then slip edited it out.  The first clip plays fine, the second doesn't.  It doesn't matter if its a 16 beat clip or a 32 beat clip.  The second,third,subsiquent clips always drops random "notes".
    "SD2 is pretty straightforward and reliable, so I'm inclined to suspect a missed step or setting."

Ya.  Me too.  Leaning more towards some kind of setting.  I followed the step by step instructions from the calkwalk university vids (its SD3 but still applies, right?), pausing it when necessary to make sure I'm following it exactly.  Preview plays fine.  First clip plays fine.....
    "If you could list your system specs in your signature, it would help us help you. "

Its an older laptop.  Compaq 7010 with only 1/2gig of memory.  Edirol UA-25.  I suspected that too but why would the first clip play fine?  If that is keeping up, wouldn't the rest be able to?

I don't put my specs in my sig because I record on the laptop but will edit on the more powerful tower if I can find time between wife and kids doing their thing.  But for this, I was trying to learn the ropes on the laptop.  Maybe I should transfer the project to the tower to see if there is any difference.

hydropsyche
    Re:Session Drummer 2 clipping 2011/01/15 23:06:13 (permalink)
    I just installed everything on my tower (2gig of mem) and same thing but this time, I notice even the first repetition of the groove clip doesn't play correctly.

This is definatley not a "Cakewalk".  I'm almost embarrased to admit I do computer support for a living so I'm not new to following instructions.

I'm missing something....
    hydropsyche
    Re:Session Drummer 2 clipping 2011/01/16 21:38:14 (permalink)
    Update:  I went to RecordingReview.com and asked the same question.  Danny provided the answer (God bless him).

If you go to Global Setting/MIDI tab, increase "Prepare using 250 Millisecond Buffers" to something like 2000.  It actually says right below the setting "If too small, playback may stop unexpectedly".

Thanks for your help, Robert.  I'm going to keep this setting in my memory banks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1