Which Mic Setup should I use?

Author
zippsinc
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 456
2011/01/16 12:13:05 (permalink)

Which Mic Setup should I use?

Hi there

I'm needing some recommendations with regard to which mics and setup I should use to record a jam session.

In a couple of weeks, I'm going away for the weekend with a 5 or 6 people from work. We have a remote cottage in the Highlands and intend doing some hillwalking etc and then...you guessed it...some partying. With several of us being able to play instruments, we're going to have a bit of a jam. Being into recording, I've decided to capture it so that we can have something nice (or nasty) to look back at as a memory of the weekend.

I'm not looking for a pristine recording with studio clarity. I'd like it to be as good as I can get it though. Ths is not a serious recording session but more of a laugh and mess around which we would like to record.

My issue is, I'm going to be limited to a Cakewalk UA-25EX (2 inputs) and my laptop. The musical situation is:

Telecaster >>> Marshall MG30
Acoustic Guitar
Drums (floor tom used as a snare + Hi-hat).
Everyone singing.

The mics I will have are:

KSM27
SM81 (x2)
SM7b
SM57 (x2)
SM58
Fathead II w/lundhals (x2)

I was considering putting the Fatheads in Blumlein in the middle of the room and positioning everyone in the best positions relative to the mics. I was thinking, if necessary, we could do a vocal overdub using the KSM27 with the singers among us huddling together.

Does anyone have any other suggestions which may be a better option? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Stewart

Sonar X1d Producer/Pro Tools 9 - Win7 64bit - i7 930 2.8GHz - 6GB DDR3 RAM - RME MultifaceII - RND Portico 5012 & 5016 - Sytek MPX-4Aii - UAD2 Duo/Solo - MoFET76 - API 2500 - Dbx 160x (x2) - Dbx 166 (old revision) - FMR RNC (x2)

5 Replies Related Threads

jimmyrage
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Which Mic Setup should I use? 2011/01/17 05:17:30 (permalink)
    Can't say if  this is a better idea or not but I think I would borrow a small mixing board and try to record somewhat of a rhythm track first.  Once that was done I would overdub everything else.  May take some trial and error to get levels right.  The option you mentioned could end up being a better choice, depending on the situation. 
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    Re:Which Mic Setup should I use? 2011/01/17 06:52:36 (permalink)
    Yeah, if playing together, having a laugh and capturing some of it is the priority then what you've suggested would be my chosen approach.

If it's more about the recording then I'd work out the best way to multitrack it (perhaps start with drums and rhythm guitar at opposite ends of the room with cardioids on them, for separtation) and then get folk to layer up in to that. Add in the electric with a 57 or a ribbon then do everyone singing with the blumlien pair.

The latter approach will give you more separtation for mixing etc but as it's a holiday and you're looking for a nice assciational activity I'd put up the blumlien and break out the drinks! The fun will be in doing a bit, listening back and repositioning everyone to get a good balance working.

Child
    EDIT: why does this forum sometimes post my messages as typed and sometime just remove all the carriage returns?!
    post edited by Rothchild - 2011/01/17 06:55:57
    zippsinc
    Re:Which Mic Setup should I use? 2011/01/17 14:17:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for that guys

I really appreciate the input.

I reckon I'll just wait and see what kind of job they want to do of it. I intend exposing the group to Guitar Rig 4 Pro and let them witness me laying down a blues jam track by track and then perhaps a vocal. If they get hooked on the idea of doing as good a job as possible then good. If so, we could get the serious stuff out the way (whilst reasonably sober) and then go with the Blumlein and the drinks a bit later. 

Thanks again

Stewart

Sonar X1d Producer/Pro Tools 9 - Win7 64bit - i7 930 2.8GHz - 6GB DDR3 RAM - RME MultifaceII - RND Portico 5012 & 5016 - Sytek MPX-4Aii - UAD2 Duo/Solo - MoFET76 - API 2500 - Dbx 160x (x2) - Dbx 166 (old revision) - FMR RNC (x2)
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Which Mic Setup should I use? 2011/01/17 14:38:31 (permalink)
    for a spontaneous recording.... one mic or two if the interface supports 2, all recording is live as it happens, no overdubs.

Actually you could set up more mics using a small mixer into the interface... but at some point the jam begins to feel like a session if there's mics all over the place.

Other than that, it becomes a recording session as opposed to a jam session.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/01/17 14:39:56

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    zippsinc
    Re:Which Mic Setup should I use? 2011/01/17 16:46:23 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

for a spontaneous recording.... one mic or two if the interface supports 2, all recording is live as it happens, no overdubs.

Actually you could set up more mics using a small mixer into the interface... but at some point the jam begins to feel like a session if there's mics all over the place.

Other than that, it becomes a recording session as opposed to a jam session.

Yeh definitely Herb.

It is more of a fun oriented occasion than a serious recording session. Besides, I don't have access to a small mixer.

Cheers for the input Herb

Stewart

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1