New album - Pianoforte

Author
Purple Rhapsody
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 469
2011/01/17 11:43:15 (permalink)

New album - Pianoforte

Hi

I've posted a couple of solo piano tracks on here recently and got wonderful feedback from you about them and so I thought I'd just post a short update to let you know that I've now got a whole album available to listen to.

Don't worry, I'm not going to spam a 'buy' link at you... you can stream the whole album from my site http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/albums.html

The album is called 'Pianoforte' and is, as the title suggests, just solo piano.

It was all recorded using Sonar 8.5 and has probably been the easiest album to mix that I've ever created!

Hope you enjoy the music - all feedback appreciated... including negative feedback so I can improve for next time. 

One apology up front... the longest track on the album (The Year of Incomparable Happiness) had to be encoded at 80kbps to fit into the file size limit so I've put a higher bitrate version on my soundcloud page (http://soundcloud.com/purplerhapsody ).

Okay... this wasn't a short update after all... sorry!

Cheers,
Terry.

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/

13 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/01/17 12:52:06 (permalink)
    I really like the year of incomparable happiness.... very nice.

It started a bit dark..... and there were a few places that had me questioning the happiness aspect of the song's title. And almost 12 minutes long....wow..... nice song to listen to.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/01/17 12:56:40

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/01/19 22:14:34 (permalink)
    I haven't listened to anything here for about a week and this post was a nice surprise.  I've copied the link so I won't forget and want to come back and listen when I can just enjoy the whole thing.  (I'm sure I'll enjoy it.)  I'll get back to you when I do.  Thanks! 
    Janet
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/01/20 17:28:38 (permalink)
    OK, I finally had an hour at home alone while getting ready for our kids to come over.  Fortunately I remembered this....and just finishing listening to them all.  WOW!!!  just isn't enough to exclaim.  This is just incredible.  Thoroughly inspired and inspiring.  You've become one of my favorite pianists. (alongside Jon Schmidt, Yiruma, Dino, and a few others.) 

I didn't jot down the track names (could hardly read them w/o glasses), but I especially liked tracks 1, 4, 5, & 7-13.  I guess that's about all of them, isn't it?  lol  On track 5, the part that starts at 2:26 is brilliant.  Track 10, at 4:20, the change-up is great.  The part that starts at 8:56 is absolutely brilliantly incredible.  I keep hoping you'll say you recorded your hands separately, but I know better.  :-)   Your left hand work is especially inspired (in all the pieces).  I really really enjoyed the whole thing.  Thanks for posting it! 
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/01/20 17:51:06 (permalink)
    Very nice playing.  I just listen to the first four tracks and will come back for the other ones.  You have very nice melodies and good arrangement without putting too many notes and being too busy. 

However for a piano solo production, have you consider a mic a true acoustic piano?  It is more complicated setup but there is something about it that the digital piano can't  match.
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/01/23 08:28:17 (permalink)
    Hi,

Wow, thanks very much! Apologies for the delay in replying - I've been away at my brother-in-law's wedding the last few days.

@guitarhacker - thanks for listening. I'm not going to say that the track is a complete parallel to everything that happened in the year this relates to - but it did start off pretty dark which meant that the light at the end of the tunnel was so much brighter!

@Janet - coming from you this means a lot, thanks for taking the time to listen. Comparing me favourably with the likes of Jon Schmidt made me break into a very wide grin! As far recording left and right hands separately... I have done that in the past but for this album I didn't want to cheat... however I must admit that there was some overdubbing on 1 track. On Bracken Moors (track 9) there's a bit in the middle that is technically possible to play (notes doubled up on octaves on the right hand, with lots of movement in the left hand, and some notes in-between the two parts that can be played in-between the octaves and at the top of the left hand runs... however much I practised I just couldn't get it perfect. So rather than simplify the music to the limits of my practical technique I decided to cheat. Everything else was played live - I would practise a track for a few days until I thought it was just right and then record it. Then practise the next one for a few days... etc etc etc.
    The section that you mention on Track 5 (Russian Lament) causes frustrations for me. While I was practising I realised that the left hand is very similar to a Chopin piece that I like, but can't play. I dug out the sheet music and started to practice the Chopin... but I just couldn't get my left hand to do what it was supposed to in conjunction with what he'd written for the right hand... so I gave up :$ and went back to mine again.

@vechung - thanks for the compliment - and for listening to four tracks, I really appreciate you taking the time. I would love the opportunity to spend a decent amount of time in a decent studio with a decent piano and a decent mic setup. It would be my dream. Unfortunately time, money, and my job don't allow this kind of luxury. Perhaps when I retire... ;-)

Thanks again.

Terry.

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/01/23 13:32:20 (permalink)
    You know for a very nominal fee, you can load songs up to 25 megs on Reverbnation? I make the payment, because I mix down at 320? And if you get a song more than 3 and a half minutes, you can bump up against the 10 meg free limit. And I like 320. Fidelity is very important to me, I wish my wives felt the same way?

I too listened to, and enjoyed immensely, "The Year of Incomparable Happiness" Good job there Terry, but do us all a flavor, shell out a few shillings and cop yourself an account on RN that can take up to 25 megs per song? It's worth it :-)

"While I was practising I realised that the left hand is very similar to a Chopin piece that I like, but can't play. I dug out the sheet music and started to practice the Chopin..."

I made some potato soup the other day (excellent!) and I had to do a lot of chopin? I chopped onions, celery, potatoes, ham, bacon. Lots of chopin.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/01/23 14:16:23 (permalink)
    Hi Terry, just listened to your album and think it's a great piece of work. The stand out track for me is "Slumbering spring". Erik Satie is my favorite composer and this sounds like Satie playing some nocturne by Chopin.

Greetings, Rik
    Janet
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/01/23 14:55:41 (permalink)
    "coming from you this means a lot"  Terry, I'm not even in your league!! :-) 

You only had to practice each piece a couple days?  Tell me you mean for 5 hours a day!  lol.  My problem is (one of them anyway) that if I play a piece through, (that I'm composing) I could probably never play it through exactly the same way again cause I simply don't remember from time to time how I did it.  And I imagine you're like me, in that, there's just no time to practice all you'd like, AND since I doubt if I'll ever play my pieces live anyway, I don't see a problem with fudging the midi notes around after I play it instead of learning it perfectly.  I just don't have the luxury of that kind of time.  All that to say, it's still lovely and brilliantly played.  :-)

Anyway, Jon Schmidt was just the first one that came to mind.  I think you're better than him. :-) 
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/01/23 17:10:45 (permalink)
    Sounds awesome, makes me want to practice my piano more instead of programming almost all of it.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Janet
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/02/08 18:23:09 (permalink)
    Bump....cause more people oughta listen and enjoy this.  :-) 
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/02/08 19:21:13 (permalink)
    listening on soundcloud to 'the year'...
    sounds great, of course, perfect piano samples. the tune is so diverse, it's great to hear non-virtuoso but solo piano stuff one can appreciate and get so much out of...a pretty rare genre. at times reminds me of Grieg's Lyric Pieces, at others Schumann, and again of Elton John! thanks for sharing!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/02/10 11:52:14 (permalink)
    @Janet - lol, thanks for the bump. We'll need to talk about me paying you as a publicist ;)

@mgh - thanks for mentioning my music in the same sentence as such great names, and not in a negative way either!

@Larry - thanks!

@Mathew  - yes, give your piano some attention! I've found myself playing other people's music more and more at the moment... just to take the time to get pleasure out of the piano as well as to hone my skills.

Re: The album as a whole... on the negative side, it's not going to be available for download for a little while - my initial batch of CDs that I sent for processing by CDBaby got lost in the transatlantic post so I need to resend them :(

:D

Cheers,
    Terry.

post edited by Purple Rhapsody - 2011/02/10 11:55:11

Janet
    Re:New album - Pianoforte 2011/02/10 20:21:36 (permalink)
      Sign me up! 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1