Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir

Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2011/01/17 15:45:56 (permalink)

Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=850571&content=songinfo&songID=9902932

-- TruckerMusic and That Heavenly Choir
-- 3:32 Minutes

... we finally collab'd this version hoping for your priceless crit(s) and comment(s):

Originally Clifford and I may have hoped for a Dirty-South Urban mix ... but ... his powerful groove and lyrics of Big Blue Sky awakened instead.

Cher-robotic-effects are attempted on Philip.  But the lead vox rap (Clifford's samples) are left 'nasty'

The middle (Philip) is a personal tribute to JamesYoyo's dreadful vox enchantments ... which I hope doesn't offend him ... as my vox doesn't compare.

-------------------------------------

Lyrics and Groove: TruckerMusic (Clifford)
Backing Vocals and 'Extra' Synths: That Heavenly Choir (Philip and Joy)

Also heavily employed:

-- NI Kore synths and percussive synths
-- Ibby Electric Guitar / Ax-fx Ultra Processor (the middle-8 pomp)
-- EWQL Hollywood Strings (16-bit)
-- Fantom X Keyboard Synthesizer with Rolands SRX-6 Orchestra (16-bit)
-- Waves L3-LL-MultiMaximizer (Jbridged into Sonar 8.5.3 64-bit)
post edited by Philip - 2011/01/19 23:44:24

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

21 Replies Related Threads

rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/17 15:57:42 (permalink)
    Hey Phillip. I really like your stuff but I can't seem to access this from the link. I'll check back. Maybe it's me.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/17 16:02:59 (permalink)
    There's no link, but I went to your SC page and found it there.

More like Cleen South!

This is by far the best accessible piece you have put out.  The rap piece is clear and full of attitude.

My vocals are dreadful, thanks for pointing that out finally!
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/17 16:35:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Jim. No more aimless clicking on the green song title above for me LOL!

This is the first Christian rap I've ever listened too so it was interesting to hear the lyrical content in this style. It's excellent.  As always you manage to record many things so clear and crispy and it maintains the dynamics at loud volumes.

Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/17 19:26:10 (permalink)
    All I can say is that I had a gas working with Philip. !

His creative insight really pushed this forward....and to the next level.... He really did a wonderful job of expanding my simple little composition.

I can only say Thank you and I really did enjoy doing the Colab!   :-)

Clifford

post edited by Truckermusic - 2011/01/17 19:27:34

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/19 09:22:07 (permalink)
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9902932
    is the link Philip forgot to share!

well this is again a U-turn, or perhaps more a gentle curveball, Philip! Well, i love the timbre of Clifford's voice, works very well in this style. It could perhaps suit a slightly more upbeat (and therefore verbose) lyrical approach, but this slower delivery works too. the textured other vocals are inspired and work as extra instrumentation as much as lyrics.

Percussion is expertly programmed, and the melodic bass works as a contrast. the bass could be a little higher in the mix though.

some great melodic flourishes take the instrumentation out of the ordinary. How much of that was Philip and how much Cliff? the lead piano is good of course, but the occasional strings and synths add that spice. take from 1'40 as an example - amazing build-up with the classical influences, which breaks back well to the original format.

to sum up - another Philipian triumph. With a Cliffordian flourish! Excellent guys, once again you work within a genre but succesfully subvert the expected with the delightful to create amazing sonic candy.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Philip
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/19 14:51:07 (permalink)
    Utmost apologizes everyone for the bad link!!!!!!!!!!!!

RhynoSynth:  Thank you for your persistent listen and following Yoyo's suggestions.  Your encouragement is excellent and I look forward to your next offerings.

JamesYoyo:  Exceeding thanks for your finding me ... and for helping RhynoSynth and MGH get here. 

Sorry to be so impressionable ... but I'm addicted to your magic vox performances and vibes.  I'm sure you realize ... 'twas your majestic vox that doubtless inspired the middle here to overflow outlandishly (and/or some caffeine on my part).  I think its a well known paradigm that Yoyo vocs are the reasonable standard of care.

MGH: Ever since GuitarHacker, IIRC, suggested other genres ... to get creativity flowing, I've tried to immerse in multiple genres and artists

... Clifford smartly wrote all the bass-line and percussives ... the entire groove and arrangement ... which he generously encouraged me to exploit. 

IOWs, Philip 'added' backing vocs, synths, guitar, and new fx's ... and spas'd out in the middle and slightly in the finale ... to counter (respond to) the lead vox' valid 'groanings'.

... I tried to enhance Clifford's timbre with the Wave's audio-cleaner plugin to enhance the 'harshness' ... and/or charge the water ...

post edited by Philip - 2011/01/19 14:56:38

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Truckermusic
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/19 16:18:58 (permalink)
    (In a very tiny impish voice)......Clifford did the Piano part as well.......

(In a much bigger and bolder voice) but it was Philip who led the charge  in changing the entire feeling and direction of this composition....

I am glad that we had the chance to work together becuase it  was a GAS! He is very creative (and also a very bad influence on me!)         :-)

James
    Ryno
    mgh

Thank you for the listen and comments on our work....
    This was totally out side of my comfort zone style wise but it was fun and I want to do it again!

thanks
    Clifford

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/19 16:56:19 (permalink)
    I freakin' love it. I don't know who's who, but I thought it was superb.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/19 17:41:46 (permalink)
    great job all the way round guys...I'm on a lap top so I'll just say the feeling hit home even on this thang..

great job!
    Truckermusic
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/19 18:57:46 (permalink)
    Joshua
    thanks ....Like I said...working with Philip was just a GAS.... He is so creative and took my simple little work and totally pushed it to the next level.....I just cannot tell you how much fun I had waiting to hear what he would send to me for his new version.....

I am glad you liked it.....thanks

Pogue

thank you for stopping by and listening...even if it is on a lappy.....listen on your big system if you have a chance .....It would be worth it......

Clifford

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/19 19:04:31 (permalink)
    this is really great, guys!  Philip you've really branched out from your "signature" style.  I really like this a lot!  no crits on the mix at all - very nice work.  clean clear vox (as needed for this genre).  love the lyrics, too.  very good work!

Cliff - your contributions to this are superb! 

guitars, keyboards, drums all are fantastic on this!  great work!

"...so they nailed him to a sssstupid tree!"  - I love that! 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Truckermusic
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/19 19:14:25 (permalink)
    MGH
    I can only claim 50% of the work .... the other 50% belongs to Philip..... not only did he add the creative touch to it but this is his mix as well......which I think he did a rel nice job on....

but I can tell you that the drum Programing was a combination of using (and editing of the Midi file) the EZ Drummeer electronic kit, some bits taken from SD2 and a loop or two from Kore 2 Urban Arsnel 2....

On the bass and the piano I used Kore 2 for the sound source but I played the part in...

the opening acoustic guitar I played that part in and Philip played all the rest of the guitar parts...

the only vox I can claim (and Philip did a beautiful job of cleaning it up) is the main vox line.....Philip did  ALL the other vocal parts.........the intresting thing about when I was doing the vox line was that I was caring for my Girl Freind who had just got out of the hospital (she's fine now by the way) and was sitting in the next room watching TV...... Because I have the tendancy to re do my vox parts Many , Many , Many times (some where in the 60 to 70 times range) ...she was just about to strangle me with her IV when I said .... "I Got it Baby!!!! "   I quickly turned and closed the door !!  LOL

thanks again for stopping by and commenting on our first (but hopefully not last) colab.

Clifford
    post edited by Truckermusic - 2011/01/19 19:15:47

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/20 13:38:21 (permalink)
    Cliff & Phil - I admit I'm not a rap fan..but..I did listen and I have to say that I enjoyed this.

It was tough for me to distinguish who's who on this (even tho you probably mentioned it and I was too lazy to read..see what winter and a lot of snow will do to you???)

Anyways..Listening on the monitors and you guys did a bang-up job on this ..mix and all!

Message is loud 'n clear too!

I had to take a bit of a break from the forums, but, it was nice coming back and hearing this tune.

Good job fellars!!

Larry
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/20 13:50:07 (permalink)
    Wow this took me by surprise - great to hear you try something unexpected! A lot going on with this one with all of the little embellisments and such - which is perfect for the genre. At first the main vocal part seems to kind of drag a bit - like it's at too slow of a tempo, or there need to be more words - but I got used to it as the track went on. Very creative stuff here guys!!
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/20 15:22:48 (permalink)
    This is sweet. Great job guys.

Cliff & Philip, I made a comment about the last song you did (Cliff?) and IIRC it was out of the box for you. This is good stuff....  see what happens when you collab AND try a different genre...... very cool.

Keep writing stuff like this...and of course.... jump the genre line every now and then.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    geeare1
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/20 15:46:47 (permalink)
    Philip & Cliff,

I'm listening on on a laptop and it still sounds great!

Great contributions from both of you, very creative and a fantastic mix.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/20 17:54:26 (permalink)
    Not sure exactly who is responsible for what here, but its all good.
    Nice work both. I love it when I listen to something that just throws what I was expecting it to be out the window.

+1 on the "stupid tree" line - loved that bit !

BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/20 19:45:48 (permalink)
    I don't hear any samples used all true talent--- + + + + 1
    Truckermusic
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/20 20:45:37 (permalink)
    Beagle

this is really great, guys!  Philip you've really branched out from your "signature" style.  I really like this a lot!  no crits on the mix at all - very nice work.  clean clear vox (as needed for this genre).  love the lyrics, too.  very good work!

Cliff - your contributions to this are superb! 

guitars, keyboards, drums all are fantastic on this!  great work!

"...so they nailed him to a sssstupid tree!"  - I love that! 

Reece
    I have no idea where that line came from but like most of the lyrics they just came to me as I did them.....I just kind of ranted for a few times got my direction and then went with it.......

I loved working with Philip....we had a gas!

I  already had the basic outline written and then sent it to him and asked him to  do what ever he envisions.....and he just transformed this into the excellent composition it is now........I could not of asked anything better out of a teammate....

the thing I love most about the comments is that it has been said that they can not tell us apart .... that is the perfect compliment .....it means we matched perfectly....!!!! very cool!!

thanks for stopping by and listening and commenting Reece

Larry

Cliff & Phil - I admit I'm not a rap fan..but..I did listen and I have to say that I enjoyed this.

It was tough for me to distinguish who's who on this (even tho you probably mentioned it and I was too lazy to read..see what winter and a lot of snow will do to you???)

Anyways..Listening on the monitors and you guys did a bang-up job on this ..mix and all!

Message is loud 'n clear too!

I had to take a bit of a break from the forums, but, it was nice coming back and hearing this tune.

Good job fellars!!

Larry

Larry
    thank you for the comment....especially if you cannot tell who is who in here which means we meshed perfectly.....ya just cannot ask for anything better than that......

I have to say that Philip was the one who brought the creative juice to the table.....It was very cool to work with him and I believe that we had a lot of fun doing this.....

I can understand taking a break.....after all it does entail a lot of effort to listen and then comment......so we apppreciate the listen and the effort ...

and congrats on the video music .....you did gooooooddd!!!!!!

Clifford

Dave
    Wow this took me by surprise - great to hear you try something unexpected! A lot going on with this one with all of the little embellisments and such - which is perfect for the genre. At first the main vocal part seems to kind of drag a bit - like it's at too slow of a tempo, or there need to be more words - but I got used to it as the track went on. Very creative stuff here guys!!

thanks for stopping by and listening to our work.....and of coourse leaving a comment.....

Yes Philip took me to a new place with this .....For me it was kind of hard to get just the right rhythm down on the rap......my girl freind makes fun of me all the time about it.......but I don't see her getting up to the Mike and SHOWING ME how it's done!!!!   LOL !!!  

thanks brother
    Clifford

Herb
    This is sweet. Great job guys.

Cliff & Philip, I made a comment about the last song you did (Cliff?) and IIRC it was out of the box for you. This is good stuff....  see what happens when you collab AND try a different genre...... very cool.

Keep writing stuff like this...and of course.... jump the genre line every now and then.

there are a few people here on the board I always wonder what they are going to think about this tune or that tune....especially the wide variety of material I've been posting lately....I was waiting for some of them to jump our of their skin with a few of them....but hey you all suprised me........

Well I am glad you liked it and thanks for the encouragement......Philip was a wonderful person to collab with.....we had a great time and as i've said before....very creative and just really pushed this into the next level......I am thankful and grateful to him for all his time and effort and talent........

Clifford

geeare 1
    Philip & Cliff,

I'm listening on on a laptop and it still sounds great!

Great contributions from both of you, very creative and a fantastic mix.

thanks for stopping by and listening and commenting......

Yes the mix is quite good.....Philip did that and he did just a super job !!!!

I know he put a lot of time and effort into making this happpen and I think he succeeded very well....

Clifford

16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/20 21:26:33 (permalink)
    Hey, this is great guys.  Philip, this is my favorite of yours so far.  Like some of the others, I wasn't sure who's doing what, but it all sounds really cool, so I can safely say you both did well.  I know Cliff said this really went a different direction, so it would be interesting to hear how it started out.  It's cool to see what comes out when different ones of us collab.  :-)  Great job, guys! 
    Philip
    Re:Big Blue Sky ... TruckerMusic and ThatHeavenlyChoir 2011/01/21 19:50:30 (permalink)
    Janet, Paulo, Larry, RuralRocker (and all)

Its a great compliment to hear that you can't distinguish the vocs cause:

1) I'd think you, including Janet, can vox in collab-duets and assimilate based on the vibe ... (or something like that)

2) Vocs (like choirs) need not be discernable person per person ... to enhance a musical piece (or something like that)

3) I didn't want to blow out my chops to ruin Clifford's strong rap ... but merely wanted to wrap his rap (and message and groove).  Yes the message/lyrics are entirely Clifford's ... I strove to echo-rhyme them ... despite the duet mania going on.

GuitarHacker: Thanks for the encouraging validation on all levels.  I hope to do another curve-ball with Clifford (who's alien genre I'm unfamiliar with ... though I suspect he may take solace in Truck-Stop Country Music).

BiaBDude: I fear both of us cheated like crazy with Kore grooves and keyboard shortcuts ... freeing our minds for primarily vox stamina.  The guitar I used (in the middle) was real, but completely destroyed by fx's.  I also fear that neither of us are great performers (in the old-school sense).

btw, as a 'new-school-sample-driven artist', I'm working on a BiaB Audiophile piece which shall remain largely and sweetly BiaB takes, especially if my guitarist-collaborator doesn't check in soon.

Geeare1: Thank you so much for your listen and encouragement.

DLogan: Thank you for your honest listen and crit and awesome encouragement.

Pogue: I for one love laptop speakers and feel complimented by your perceptions on them.  Thanks again.

Philip  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1