Question about recording music and video

Author
geeare1
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1906
2011/01/17 23:15:35 (permalink)

Question about recording music and video

I've got a question for anyone who has used Sonar for creating videos.

I've got 8.5 Producer and tried to make a simple video of myself playing acoustic guitar and have run into a problem I don't understand. 

I used a Canon PowerShot A720, which isn't actually a video camera, to record the video so maybe that's my problem right there?

Anyway, I recorded the video on the Canon and the audio on Sonar at the same time. When I import the video into Sonar it's easy to sync up the Sonar audio with the video of the song because the audio is also recorded by the camera.

However, within 8 measures the video and Sonar audio are out of sync and it gets worse as the song progresses.  For some reason the tempo of the audio recorded by the DAW is faster than the tempo of the video. By the end of the song the DAW audio is a full measure ahead of the video.
Does anyone know why the video tempo wouldn't match the Sonar tempo when they were recorded at the same time?

Thanks!
post edited by geeare1 - 2011/01/17 23:24:15

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music

7 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Question about recording music and video 2011/01/17 23:32:37 (permalink)
    Maybe the two audios are different sample rates. Maybe you could try importing the video into Sonar without the audio.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Question about recording music and video 2011/01/18 01:12:09 (permalink)
    geeare1

I've got a question for anyone who has used Sonar for creating videos.

I've got 8.5 Producer and tried to make a simple video of myself playing acoustic guitar and have run into a problem I don't understand. 

I used a Canon PowerShot A720, which isn't actually a video camera, to record the video so maybe that's my problem right there?

Anyway, I recorded the video on the Canon and the audio on Sonar at the same time. When I import the video into Sonar it's easy to sync up the Sonar audio with the video of the song because the audio is also recorded by the camera.

However, within 8 measures the video and Sonar audio are out of sync and it gets worse as the song progresses.  For some reason the tempo of the audio recorded by the DAW is faster than the tempo of the video. By the end of the song the DAW audio is a full measure ahead of the video.
    Does anyone know why the video tempo wouldn't match the Sonar tempo when they were recorded at the same time?

Thanks!

When you import into Sonar it automatically resamples the audio to the sample rate of the project if the project already has audio tracks. So you need to set your project to the same sample rate as the audio track on the video and try it again. It should work just fine.  Most video recording devices use 48k sample rate for the audio since that's what DVD is.  You may be able to set the sample rate on the A720 if you don't want to use 48K. You may have to dig through the menus to find it.

Well... I looked up the camera on the Cannon web site and it does not say in the manual what the sample rate for audio is and it's just mono.  Try doing right click properties on the file before you import it and see if it says what the audio sample rate is.  If it's less than 44.1 it won't be much use. Maybe the only thing it would be good for is to line up the video with your Sonar audio. Get the first spike in the camera audio lined up with your Sonar audio.  However with compressed video it still may not line up right all the way through the shot.
    post edited by ohhey - 2011/01/18 01:29:58
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Question about recording music and video 2011/01/18 07:52:32 (permalink)
    Chappel & ohhey:  Thanks very much for your help! I had no clue about the sample rates I'll go back and try this again. Once again, Thank You!

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Question about recording music and video 2011/01/19 02:04:07 (permalink)
    geeare1

Chappel & ohhey:  Thanks very much for your help! I had no clue about the sample rates I'll go back and try this again. Once again, Thank You!

yeah... it's a bummer but when audio is resampled there is no timeline reference, it just does the math all the way through and it always drifts. You don't care if it's the final mix and already exported to stereo but if it's tracks in a project you are toast.  To make it even more confusing Sonar doesn't tell you it's going to resample or what the old sample rate was, it just does it.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Question about recording music and video 2011/01/19 06:57:18 (permalink)
    The Sample Rate conversion shouldn't cause much drift unless it's just not doing a good job. You would get time stretch if it didn't convert.

The 44.1 DAW is faster than the 48k video? I would expect it to be the opposite without a sample rate conversion. That's got my head itching. If there was problem with conversion.. it's even bigger than I might have guessed.

It can also be simple clock drift.

Perhaps the rate conversion is OK but the clocks are drifting.

I doubt the power shot has a great clock in it. I have a Canon 5DmkII and I wouldn't expect it to either.

We use SMPTE time code sync connections and an extra Genlock on top of that when we sync up multi device video or film shoots.

Usually the way you deal with "wild" camera footage is to use two or more cameras and intercut the shots frequently with the idea of sliding and syncing as required.

People have been doing that successfully since the dawn of talkies.

If it was a very small drift I might consider frame rate conforming issues and perhaps Drop vs Non Drop details... but this seems like a much simpler issue.

Good Luck,
    mike

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Question about recording music and video 2011/01/19 10:37:57 (permalink)
    It can also be simple clock drift.

Dollars to donuts, that's the problem.

So you've imported the video into Sonar, and the video's soundtrack is imported as well? Just use Ctrl-drag (so you get the yellow stripe at the bottom of the clip) the right-edge of your Sonar-recorded audio and adjust it to sync to the video soundtrack.
    MasterInTheMix
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Question about recording music and video 2011/01/23 01:14:05 (permalink)
    Tarsier solves the problem, but do you really want a music video with no cuts?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1