New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing"

Author
groveendroad
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 809
2011/01/18 14:03:40 (permalink)

New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing"

I wrote this song about about the Chicago Cubs and what it means to me to be a Cubs fan. The feelings I have each time I step in to see a game. To me it really is a part of Heaven.

For those of you that are not Cubs fan,  just imagine the song is about your favorite team, and or the best place you go to, to see a sports team.

looking forward to your input.

Cheers, Terry

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_6840164

17 Replies Related Threads

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/18 16:13:38 (permalink)
    Wrigley Field - great place to see a came and gotta love the Chicago dogs!! Nice song about your love of the game and your team - would make a great drunken sing-along!!

I would write a song about the Royals but it would be too depressing...
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/18 17:38:53 (permalink)
    Terry this is an excellent tune, but I've heard enough of your material to say that I think you can do it better than this.  There are a few points where it feels like you're drifting a little flat at the end of lines in the chorus.  Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I personally felt that the reeds(?) parts were not the optimal backing. 

I enjoyed the listen, as I always do on your material, but I think this one is worth a bit more work.  Just one guy's opinion. 
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/18 19:28:44 (permalink)
    Well I grew up in Chicago and even if I do live in Tampa my heart is still with the cubbies .....

Clifford

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/18 20:27:31 (permalink)
    it's a little pitchy in part, but it seems to fight the feel of the song, sitar :-) I liked the doubled parts. And I like the production. You might want to carve a notch out with EQ from those strings for the sitar. I hear that you have them panned but when the strings are playing it seems like they're trying to share the same space. 

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    groveendroad
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/19 10:47:15 (permalink)
    rockinrobby

it's a little pitchy in part, but it seems to fight the feel of the song, sitar :-) I liked the doubled parts. And I like the production. You might want to carve a notch out with EQ from those strings for the sitar. I hear that you have them panned but when the strings are playing it seems like they're trying to share the same space. 

Thanks Robby, where do you hear the pitchy parts?

Terry
    groveendroad
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/19 10:49:51 (permalink)
    philz

Terry this is an excellent tune, but I've heard enough of your material to say that I think you can do it better than this.  There are a few points where it feels like you're drifting a little flat at the end of lines in the chorus.  Maybe it's a matter of taste, but I personally felt that the reeds(?) parts were not the optimal backing. 

I enjoyed the listen, as I always do on your material, but I think this one is worth a bit more work.  Just one guy's opinion. 

Thanks for the input Philz, Where are those flat points? This song means alot to me, so I would like to get it right.
    groveendroad
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/19 10:53:05 (permalink)
    Truckermusic

Well I grew up in Chicago and even if I do live in Tampa my heart is still with the cubbies .....

Clifford

I've been to just about every Baseball field in the great US. There are a lot of great fields out there, and Chicago has one of them!
    groveendroad
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/19 10:54:49 (permalink)
    dlogan

Wrigley Field - great place to see a came and gotta love the Chicago dogs!! Nice song about your love of the game and your team - would make a great drunken sing-along!!

I would write a song about the Royals but it would be too depressing...

Thanks Dave. Boston has great dogs also!
    krsongs
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/19 13:18:03 (permalink)
    philz

...yes and there some sharpened vox notes too... however... overall, the message and delivery... I like it! What the song is about and it's intended audience won't care. This chorus should be sung anthem-like right before "take me out to the ball game." This is what Cub fans should be singing in the bars after a win... or loss.

It's blue-collar... and the production is sort of blue-collar, but it works. I think you'd be taking away from the the song's message if you hi-fi/HD this, and completely re-record. In fact you should send this to the local sports stations.

Yeah, you could probably switch the voicing on the those synth lead parts, even shorten them by one bar, and even omit the guitar solo, BUT, the attitude in your voice and delivery is perfect. Don't touch it!

Kiki

Cakewalk Sonar 7 Producer
    Dell Optiplex 320
    Intel Dual Core 1.6 Ghz
    Win XP Pro SP3
    2.0 Gb RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB
    Rocstor Rocpro 850 external USB HD
    krsongs
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/19 13:21:26 (permalink)
    BTW Terry,

My brother taught at Northwestern and INSISTED we take the "El" train to Wrigley, which was an event in itself. It was my first visit to Chicago (around 1991 or so.)

...and I had never heard of "Old Style" either ha ha! I did get to see Harry Carey sing at the 7th inning stratch though. Fun times!!!

Kiki

Cakewalk Sonar 7 Producer
    Dell Optiplex 320
    Intel Dual Core 1.6 Ghz
    Win XP Pro SP3
    2.0 Gb RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB
    Rocstor Rocpro 850 external USB HD
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/19 13:46:26 (permalink)
    Were you sing "it doesn't matter to me " is one place I hear it go flat.
    The mix is pretty good on my crappy computer speakers. I can pick out all instruments fine.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

philz
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/19 17:38:58 (permalink)
    groveendroad

philz

Thanks for the input Philz, Where are those flat points? This song means alot to me, so I would like to get it right.

Hi Terry- I listened again, and, overall, like it even more the second time.  I think it's a great tune, and Kiki's suggestion to send to local stations is a great idea.  You have a very unique voice (vaguely reminiscent of Jerry and the Pacemakers) and there is a charm and sincerity in your delivery.  I started taking notes for the parts that sounded a little off, but I lost them   I recall the word 'me' at around :50 and the word need in the same spot in the 2nd verse.  Then (maybe) 'leave' in the chorus???  I don't know... it's a great song, so maybe hang on to what you've got while trying another another take.
    groveendroad
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/20 12:46:05 (permalink)
    philz

groveendroad

philz

Hi Terry- I listened again, and, overall, like it even more the second time.  I think it's a great tune, and Kiki's suggestion to send to local stations is a great idea.  You have a very unique voice (vaguely reminiscent of Jerry and the Pacemakers) and there is a charm and sincerity in your delivery.  I started taking notes for the parts that sounded a little off, but I lost them   I recall the word 'me' at around :50 and the word need in the same spot in the 2nd verse.  Then (maybe) 'leave' in the chorus???  I don't know... it's a great song, so maybe hang on to what you've got while trying another another take.

Thanks philz

I think this may be a bit better of the takes. Please let me know what you think
    philz
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/01/21 15:22:28 (permalink)
    Yes, it does, sound better.  Now put it on some cd's, and hit the local stations towards the end of spring training.  There's gotta' be a player for this out there in the windy city.  Great tune, Terry.
    groveendroad
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/02/01 18:50:48 (permalink)
    I re-recorded the Vocal track last night. Please let me know what you think.

Check it out @

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7060429

Cheers, Terry
    philz
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New song "Just As Long As The Cubs Are Playing" 2011/02/02 21:22:46 (permalink)
    Piano sounds good.  You're playing it, I assume?  Nice job.  Vox sounds good and I'm not hearing flat parts.  That sitar? might be a tad loud in parts.  But overall, cool song!  :-)  
    post edited by Janet - 2011/02/02 21:30:33
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1