New Song - The World Keeps Turning

Author
stephenwyoung
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2011/01/18 14:21:29 (permalink)

New Song - The World Keeps Turning

This is my first post on this forum so I hope I get it right! :)

Here is my latest song.  I wrote and recorded it Saturday night, and mixed it last night.  Please let me know what you think...   

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_6841036 
Or for slower bandwidth you can listen on the "lo-fi" setting at SoundClick...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1139618&content=music  

The instruments were are arranged and produced in Band In A Box, and then imported the wav files into Sonar 8.5 Studio, where I recorded the vocals.  Mixed and mastered in Sonar with various plugins.  Hope you enjoy it.

Steve Young
www.stephenwyoung.com

post edited by stephenwyoung - 2011/01/18 19:00:58

14 Replies Related Threads

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/18 18:47:21 (permalink)
    I was going to comment on your music and song but it wouldn't play hardly for me .

Radio

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/18 22:01:31 (permalink)

Works now for me using SoundClick , thanks for contacting me on this one .
    I really enjoyed listening to your song , Vocals sounded good and up front .
    I might back off just a tab on the vocals just a tab so the music isn't too far in the rear in your mix.

All in all its a winner in my ears , I say you did a nice job on this song .

Radio

krsongs
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/19 01:52:12 (permalink)
    Wow!!! Love it! Fun song to listen to... LOVE the lyrics! Good guitar parts and piano.

I agree with Radio: Back off on vocals a bit.

Listening to it I think: I would love to hear this with a true tenor belting it out an octave higher. However, with your voice it sort of has it's own charm, and I think again... don't touch it... it's perfect! Perhaps try lead vox with a more mid-frequency-strong mic, or bring out more mid on your current lead vox (but back off on volume and blend with band a little more... just thinking out loud.)

Once again... nice job whatever you decide to do Steve!

Kiki

Cakewalk Sonar 7 Producer
    Dell Optiplex 320
    Intel Dual Core 1.6 Ghz
    Win XP Pro SP3
    2.0 Gb RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB
    Rocstor Rocpro 850 external USB HD
    ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/19 08:29:59 (permalink)
    hi stephen, glad you decided to join! I think you'll find people here to be receptive to giving constructive criticism.

Mix;

Sounded fairly well mixed to me. Currently I'm on a laptop and can't hear the bottom end...but I'm sure it's there. I can hear the compression on the vocals at times.

Performance:
    Guitar lead is GREAT. Really gives the listener something to look forward to.
    Vocals; I'm not buyin' your performance. It's not that you sang 'bad', all the notes seemed in tune. But what I'm saying is that I'm not getting it. I'm not believing anything that you're saying. SO the words have no meaning to me and give me nothing to relate to. that is difficult advice to give and to hear. Because there's no way to easily overcome it, except to 'find' your voice. Which requires a lot of experimentation.

Diction; nearly perfect, everything was intelligible.

Lyrics; very cliche. You left nothing to my imagination. Which is fine, because there's a lot of songwriters like that, but I find that the ones I tend to respect the most leave something to be filled in by me the listener.

Overall, I think your intensity as a singer needs match the message of the song. This tune is a little too high octane for a Paul Simon type vocal delivery. But that's just my opinion. 

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/19 09:36:28 (permalink)
    hey dude! welcome!
    youj have some good recording and mixing skills. Josh has gotte things down quite right, i think, the vocals are there, all in tune and everything, just needs a little oomph. as is, it'd work if the instrumentation was acoustic guitar, say, but as is the ear would like a little more. the harmony vocals are excellent. lead guitar works well. overall, 8/10, the bass/drum mix is pretty perfect, good song well performed!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/19 09:40:31 (permalink)
    Great Song!

Real good performance.

The mix seems a bit filled to the brim... I'd be tempted to make some room with EQ and some automated envelope work and maybe some fore aft imaging on the backing vocals.

Great Job!

best regards,
    mike

stephenwyoung
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/19 12:44:21 (permalink)
    radio

Works now for me using SoundClick , thanks for contacting me on this one .
    I really enjoyed listening to your song , Vocals sounded good and up front .
    I might back off just a tab on the vocals just a tab so the music isn't too far in the rear in your mix.

All in all its a winner in my ears , I say you did a nice job on this song .

Radio

Hi Radio,

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen. Glad you like the song. And I really appreciate your input!

Steve

--
    Steve Young
    stephenwyoung
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/19 12:46:17 (permalink)
    krsongs

Wow!!! Love it! Fun song to listen to... LOVE the lyrics! Good guitar parts and piano.

I agree with Radio: Back off on vocals a bit.

Listening to it I think: I would love to hear this with a true tenor belting it out an octave higher. However, with your voice it sort of has it's own charm, and I think again... don't touch it... it's perfect! Perhaps try lead vox with a more mid-frequency-strong mic, or bring out more mid on your current lead vox (but back off on volume and blend with band a little more... just thinking out loud.)

Once again... nice job whatever you decide to do Steve!
    Kiki,

Thanks so much. Glad you liked it! I appreciate your input. I will experiment with the vocals in the mix. Life is always a work in progress!

Thanks again!

Steve

--
    Steve Young
    stephenwyoung
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/19 12:52:31 (permalink)
    ruralrocker2010

hi stephen, glad you decided to join! I think you'll find people here to be receptive to giving constructive criticism.

Mix;

Sounded fairly well mixed to me. Currently I'm on a laptop and can't hear the bottom end...but I'm sure it's there. I can hear the compression on the vocals at times.

Performance:
    Guitar lead is GREAT. Really gives the listener something to look forward to.
    Vocals; I'm not buyin' your performance. It's not that you sang 'bad', all the notes seemed in tune. But what I'm saying is that I'm not getting it. I'm not believing anything that you're saying. SO the words have no meaning to me and give me nothing to relate to. that is difficult advice to give and to hear. Because there's no way to easily overcome it, except to 'find' your voice. Which requires a lot of experimentation.

Diction; nearly perfect, everything was intelligible.

Lyrics; very cliche. You left nothing to my imagination. Which is fine, because there's a lot of songwriters like that, but I find that the ones I tend to respect the most leave something to be filled in by me the listener.

Overall, I think your intensity as a singer needs match the message of the song. This tune is a little too high octane for a Paul Simon type vocal delivery. But that's just my opinion. 

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your time! As to the lyrics not leaving enough to your imagination, you should hear some of the other songs I have written. They make no sense at all. You would love them! :) I'm just kidding!  I really do appreciate and value your input. I appreciate that you really took the time to listen and give me well thought out constructive ideas!

I don't really consider myself a great singer. And the older I get, the more mellow my voice seems to be! (If I live to be 100, I may end up sounding like Perry Como.) I really enjoy making music, escpecially writing music. And if I can write music that other people that sing better than me will sing, I will be a happy man!

Again, thanks so much for your valued input!

Steve

--
    Steve Young
    ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/20 23:35:37 (permalink)
    Keep it coming. I love music. Glad to be part of your journey.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/21 06:29:48 (permalink)
    Great song and overall performances. I agree with the comments on the mix and the power of the vocals.

String Jammer
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/21 08:30:15 (permalink)
    cool tune...more pop than county to my ears...which these days they tend to meld together.....

nice lil hook and nice repeating ending...

woulda kinda liked to hear some bvox ramping up at the end

very cool tune overall and welcome to the forum!

Rexxar
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/21 11:06:53 (permalink)
    Great song!

I heard it in an online dj thing, and I thought it sounded much better like 7% faster, which made your voice more of a tenor, like krsongs suggested. I think the song's a little too light for a voice as deep as yours
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:New Song - The World Keeps Turning 2011/01/21 11:15:51 (permalink)
    Very nice song!  You have such a nice voice.  Great intrumentation and production.  Nice song arrangement and sequencing.  Really like your lyrics, very uplifting and encouraging for the young kids.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1